Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been times when driving in this early spring weather, I have wished I could bring up the small rear wing windows on my SLK to see if this would cut down the wind on my neck.
I have a Windrestrictor, but wonder if this little change could cut the wind even more?
Is there not a way to get those windows up?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
top 'on' or top 'up' is your question?

Yes. get a SmartTop and program them to do what you want

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

Function 2 - One-Touch top operation ( 0=OFF / *1=ON WU / 2=ON WD / 3=EXT WU / 4=EXT WD )
This function enables one-touch console switch operation, for which the window position after top open as well as an optional extended convenience mode can be programmed.
Setting 1 is standard one-touch mode with windows up (WU) after top open. Setting 2 is standard one-touch mode with windows down (WD) after top open. Settings 3 and 4 (extended) are the same as 1 and 2, but additionally it is possible to turn off the ignition and pull the key while the top still continues.
Settings 3 and 4 require extra responsibility and caution to avoid injury by moving top parts to passengers not expecting the top to continue running after the engine is turned off!

Top operation with the console switch:
Holding down the switch (>2 sec) in either direction will operate the top in manual mode for as long as the switch is held.
Tap open once to open the top and bring the windows into the selected position (WU=Windows Up, WD=Windows Down).
Tap open twice slowly to open the top and bring the windows into the opposite position this one time (Down on settings 1 and 3, Up on settings 2 and 4).
Tap open twice quickly to open the windows
Tap close once to close top and windows.
Tap close twice slowly to close only the top and leave the windows open.
Tap close twice quickly to close the windows
Tap the console switch in any direction to interrupt an ongoing operation at any time - even if the top was started by remote!

Comfort close for all windows:
Tap the top close switch when the top is already closed to roll all windows up.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
Did you read the Smarttop thread? See the video at the top of the SmartTop thread? see all the features you get? :D
worth every penny!

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Yes, a neck scarf would be cheaper, but the SmartTop is a must-have mod that provides way more than just the ability to raise the rear windows while the top is down... I don't regret buying my SmartTop for one second! :D

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,863 Posts
We've got the R170 and neither find trouble with wind on our necks.

The heater is brilliant, especially for a 12 year old car.

I wonder if maybe your seating position is a little high?

That said, we'll be getting the SmartTop once we have some spare cash and the rest of the car is up scratch.
That and a new stereo are the only mods Bluebadger will agree to.
Especially after she saw eith Col, or Dave scooting off from Donington.

·
*Premium Member
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
4,284 Posts
We've got the R170 and neither find trouble with wind on our necks. The heater is brilliant, especially for a 12 year old car.
I second that - and with heated seats you can be warm and cosy in the car even before it warms up. We've been on a couple of 'cold' drives with the top down (outside temperature 3~5 Celcius) with a fleece and a beanie on and neither of us have felt cold.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
top 'on' or top 'up' is your question?

Yes. get a SmartTop and program them to do what you want

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

Function 2 - One-Touch top operation ( 0=OFF / *1=ON WU / 2=ON WD / 3=EXT WU / 4=EXT WD )
This function enables one-touch console switch operation, for which the window position after top open as well as an optional extended convenience mode can be programmed.
Setting 1 is standard one-touch mode with windows up (WU) after top open. Setting 2 is standard one-touch mode with windows down (WD) after top open. Settings 3 and 4 (extended) are the same as 1 and 2, but additionally it is possible to turn off the ignition and pull the key while the top still continues.
Settings 3 and 4 require extra responsibility and caution to avoid injury by moving top parts to passengers not expecting the top to continue running after the engine is turned off!

Top operation with the console switch:
Holding down the switch (>2 sec) in either direction will operate the top in manual mode for as long as the switch is held.
Tap open once to open the top and bring the windows into the selected position (WU=Windows Up, WD=Windows Down).
Tap open twice slowly to open the top and bring the windows into the opposite position this one time (Down on settings 1 and 3, Up on settings 2 and 4).
Tap open twice quickly to open the windows
Tap close once to close top and windows.
Tap close twice slowly to close only the top and leave the windows open.
Tap close twice quickly to close the windows
Tap the console switch in any direction to interrupt an ongoing operation at any time - even if the top was started by remote!

Comfort close for all windows:
Tap the top close switch when the top is already closed to roll all windows up.
Will this work for the R170 SmartTop?

Reactions: Avel Du and dbgrn

·
*Premium Member
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
4,284 Posts
Reactions: Avel Du and dbgrn

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Eddy, Martin, I hadn't realised that... thanks for sharing! :tu:

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
They sell em, they know 'jack' about em :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, have we determined the Smartop will or won't function the rear windows independently?
Also, I have seen one video which suggests installation is a matter of moving some plug connections to pass through the Smartop module, but then a pdf that shows splicing into a group of wires. Which is correct?

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
So, have we determined the Smartop will or won't function the rear windows independently?
Also, I have seen one video which suggests installation is a matter of moving some plug connections to pass through the Smartop module, but then a pdf that shows splicing into a group of wires. Which is correct?
For the R170
Quarter windows do not go up. When they go down they release a latching mechanism for the top so maybe that is why they cannot go up once the top is down. Additionally, it requires splicing wires.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
AFAIK, the install of SmartTop on the R170 is a more involved process, unlike the procedure for R171 and R172.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.