Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,859 Posts
Because the head units they sell are not, for the most part, compatible with the MB factory amps. The entire MOST architecture never reached critical mass in the aftermarket IMHO. There are some, but Crutchfield tries to move merchandise that sell the most. I love Crutchfield BTW.

There are lots of posts here related to swapping the R171 head units and/or amps, try searching. Unless you have compelling reasons, the Crutchfield advise is probably correct.

One thing is for sure: replacing the head unit has lot of variables, including what factory setup you currently have installed, steering wheel control, instrument cluster integration, tele-aid, antenna integration, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
711 Posts
Hello guys,

I am trying to install a new HU and the guys from Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV are saying I need to run new wires to the speakers despite having a harness.

Apparently I must bypass the existing AMP. I am not understanding why is this the case ?

Thanks
they are dead wrong. You have the Audio 20, which doesn't have the separate amp. Just connect through the harness as usual. Separate amp only apply for cars with COmand system

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys, I think I will go for it and order, I will take the DIY route and then post my experience (hopefully it won't be much)

So cars like mine, do they have an amp at all? I now know they don't have one that is wired via fibre optics, but is there an amp sitting somewhere which I can upgrade?

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,043 Posts
thanks guys, I think I will go for it and order, I will take the DIY route and then post my experience (hopefully it won't be much)

So cars like mine, do they have an amp at all? I now know they don't have one that is wired via fibre optics, but is there an amp sitting somewhere which I can upgrade?
No - there is no additional amp in your car.

Have fun with the upgrade

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.