Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
reading several thread on here (and there are some VERY nice choices being made!) got me to thinking. As I understand it by the time you have a fully fitted and functioning Kleemann (other flavours are available) supercharger you're looking at the tick end of about 10/12k :surprise: which is a lot of money.

I'm curious as to why you wouldn't find a wrecked AMG SL55 (or indeed an AMG63 of some flavour) and 'just' drop in the engine from that leaving you free to recoup some ££/$$ by selling your original 55 engine? It strikes me that there's a bit more power available there with a similar amount of faffing about....

I hasten to add that this is NOT something I'm considering partly because:

a - I'm a complete knuckle-head (as you may have gathered reading a couple of my recent threads!) when it comes to anything of this nature, my wife would probably say you can ignore the bit in the brackets.

b - I'm nowhere near able to afford this at any time in the foreseeable future

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,213 Posts
Why? Because they are sooooooo much fun to drive and possess and race and take off with and fool other challengers with!

And you don't want someone's old SC.... you want brand new with updated/upgraded changes

There..I'm done! Oh and it is a wee bit more than 10/12k what with labor and replacing bits that need to be replaced due to age or mileage or just time to be replaced.
Things like new MAF, new O2 sensors, new ignition wires, new spark plugs that are 2 degrees colder ranged, new fuel filter, new v belt, cleaned injectors, new air filters...

For those that have not taken the ride with me :D

http://www.slkworld.com/performance-mods-r171/390442-my-supercharger-adventure-begins.html

·
Registered
155 Posts
As far as I know, nobody's been able to get the SL55 (etc.) engine working with the SLK55 electronics. Otherwise I'd have went that route instead of the Kleemann kit because there's definitely much more power possible with that low compression version of the engine since you can run high boost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, it is a lot of work to fit SL55 engine into SLK. You can try with SLR engine to (cooling compressor system are not the same etc). But you can do that! You can also put twin turbo system on your M113 to have more than 900 HP. But it will be average work, when kleeman offers fine tuned system with only 0.5 bar.
The real question is : do you want to need mechanical technician that follow you everywhere you go with your car, or do you wish to drive safely a reliable car?

·
Registered
463 Posts
As far as I know, nobody's been able to get the SL55 (etc.) engine working with the SLK55 electronics.
Just my .02,

There are several Crossfires (and r170's) with the M113k engines swapped in. One of them is down here in South Florida running 10 second 1/4 miles without any juice. Check the Crossfire forum for details. It does take someone with a deep wallet and a tech with extensive ECU programing knowledge to get something like this done.

If my memory serves me correctly there's also a shop in the Midwest that put a m156 into a r171 and also did a few of the V8 Crossfire conversions. I could have sworn I read about it here on SLKW but I cant find the threads. Last I remember reading, he started having frame issues for one reason or another.

Maybe, a better question than the one posed by the OP might be; how much power can our little SLK chassis handle?

For example, I only have a set of Thermoteched headers, an Eurocharged modified ECU and TCU, and a set of Green filters. Everything else on the drivetrain is bone stock other than reasonably fresh fluids and plugs. I can still boil the 275x30r19 tires I'm running from 20mph. Without tubbing out the rear and shortening the secondary shafts, there's absolutely positively no way you could fit a tire wider than 275 under the fenders.

kleeman offers a fine tuned system with only 0.5 bar.
The Kleemann blower is such low boost because the N/A motor in the SLK55 runs a high 11.0-1 compression. They cant run the boost up much without deto. The OE 113k motor runs 8.0-9.0 CR (depending on who you ask) and boost closer to 1.0 bar. So presuming each of the blower compressors are of similar capacity and efficiency, the 113k would outperform a similarly prepped Kleemann blown SLK55 motor.

Traction aside, starting with a stock m113 and adding a low boost Kleemann blower, a larger throttle body, some cams, a decent porting job, and a free flowing exhaust would also likely make enough HP to get you to the limits of the stock SLK frame. And it would cost about the same to do a 113k motor swap, warm it up a bit with bolt ons, get all the electronics to play nice, and then sell the N/A motor. The latter would also get you to the limit of the stock frame given that a SLK63 seems to be able to bend it.

As for me, I just cant seem to convince the wife why it's so important to spend $10k - $15k to be able to put a "Kompressor" badge on the fender of our $20k SLK55. But that doesn't mean I'm giving up on try'in tho...
:grin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts