Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have alway wondered why people block out their license plate numbers when they post pics.

I mean, after all, strangers see their license plates all day long when they are out driving around...Why block the numbers in pictures they post on the forums?

HMMMM

SLKman:tu:

·
Registered
82 Posts
A question also pondered by others.... http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677503

As a victim of identity theft, it is just a precaution. To me, driving around my local area where my plate blends in (even if I don't) is one thing but putting it out on the internet with billions of people (some not so honest) is quite different. But then, after spending a couple years restoring my credit, I may be overly sensitive.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AWESOME info!!:rockon:

Thanks!

SLKman:tu:

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:You never know, but.... I think it's silly to block a plate online. You travel daily with your plates visible. You need to be more concerned with the locals than those online. Never read of ANY incident on ANY forum where this has been an issue.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
:confused:You never know, but.... I think it's silly to block a plate online. You travel daily with your plates visible. You need to be more concerned with the locals than those online. Never read of ANY incident on ANY forum where this has been an issue.
[tinfoil hat]
I guess in my mind it removes the anonymity of the internet - eg if I post my tags, then someone can figure out who I am :)
[/tinfoil hat]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agree with that ... if somebody sees my license plates, they may be able to find out a lot about me & my car. But if they see it online, they can find out even more and associate my online name/account to my personal data as well ... some of the private info I provide online is meaningless, because I am anonymous. But once somebody knows my name and can associate it all with the same identity ...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Also i think those that modify there cars block their plates to avoid warrantee issues etc.. or something along those lines.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,365 Posts
A question also pondered by others.... http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677503

As a victim of identity theft, it is just a precaution. To me, driving around my local area where my plate blends in (even if I don't) is one thing but putting it out on the internet with billions of people (some not so honest) is quite different. But then, after spending a couple years restoring my credit, I may be overly sensitive.
Since I was also an identity theft victim, I'm not taking any chances by exposing my plate number on the internet.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Seems like the more cautious approach is warranted. Unless, of course, we are exposing some fool who has badged an E series as an CLS 65 AMG :tu:

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
...graphic editing practice. :tu:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, here's my reason for doing it...
I have another Merc - little baby black one - with unusual plates (stand out) - not even prepared to say here - as I have a stalker - I never even gave a thought to identitiy theft - I'm more scared of the idiot stalking me. I have a restraining order against him - and whilst I have not heard from him since I bought the new baby - he kicked and dented my little black car - as well as the previous Porsche that I had prior to this one.
Just trying to be careful - and yet I don't believe he knows I have this car as I moved so many miles away - just to get away from him!
So I think everyone may have their own reasons...
Take care...

Jo (from OZ)

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
Well, here's my reason for doing it...
I have another Merc - little baby black one - with unusual plates (stand out) - not even prepared to say here - as I have a stalker - I never even gave a thought to identitiy theft - I'm more scared of the idiot stalking me. I have a restraining order against him - and whilst I have not heard from him since I bought the new baby - he kicked and dented my little black car - as well as the previous Porsche that I had prior to this one.
Just trying to be careful - and yet I don't believe he knows I have this car as I moved so many miles away - just to get away from him!
So I think everyone may have their own reasons...
Take care...

Jo (from OZ)
Terribly sorry to hear that. Your problem is much worse than a little identity theft. Hope it turns out well for you.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If I am not mistaken, since I used to live in Texas....

In texas license plates are public record,meaning anyone in Texas,can pull,by typing your plate numbers who you are and where you live aka who the owner is and address.

Which I always thought is a bit bizare,no regular resident should be able to have excess to your address and your name by looking you up via license plate - In Texas I might add.

I know, in almost every state..only law enforcement can pull your info out,by looking up your plates.

Its been almost 10 years though since I left Texas, maybe it changed!

My Ohio plates are personalized

·
Registered
279 Posts
with a french number plate and most of your email adress you can find the owner and where the car sleeps ...

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I'm 100% sure I've already posted a reply in this thread.

I wasn't aware I'd broken any rules, so perhaps one of the mods would be so kind as to let me know by PM why it was removed?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.