Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Porsche boxters for sale? That and the cayennes. One guy told me the other day "boxters are like the **tch of the porsche world, total chick cars"

????

And what does it mean when they advertise "base" at the end of it? base model do they mean?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
yes, base model, entry level of everything.

Porsche does a good job designing and engineering cars. I've driven my buddy's Cayman a few times and it's fun. Now I can't compare it to a 911, but it is definitely fun.

My analysis is that a Boxster isn't very practical, even for a convertible, and ragtop convertibles are a pain (cold, noisy, top looks like crap after year two or two seagulls). People probably buy it thinking - cute, fun, Porsche. Then fall out of "love" with it for the reasons I have mentioned and, oh ya, the price for Porsche maintenance....

Did you mean Cayenne or Cayman?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I like to look at data for stuff like this, so I looked at howmanyleft.co.uk to see how many boxsters are licensed in the UK now and in 2002, and compare that to the UK autotrader site looking at total cars for sale now, and cars for sale that are over 10 years old.

Here are the results:
- - -

BOXSTER

howmanyleft.co.uk:
current - 29,000
in 2002 - 15,000

autotrader:
total - 972 = 3.35%
over 10 years old - 300 = 2.00% (of cars licensed in 2002)

- - -

SLK
howmanyleft.co.uk
current - 56,000
in 2002 - 21,000

autotrader:
total - 1,186 = 2.12%
over 10 years old - 271 = 1.29% (of cars licensed in 2002)

- - -

so although in real terms there are more slks for sale right now than there are boxsters on autotrader, it is interesting to see the difference in percentage of car for sale vs the total cars sold - seems slk owners are happier to keep their older cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts