Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to this year my detail experience was strictly washing and waxing with Nu-Finish, with a spritz or 2 of Armor-all.
With my baby I decided to learn detailing as a nice hobby for my senior years (plus work on stretching etc).

I spent the afternoon using the 3M scratch remover kit to take out 2 scratches, 1" and 15" and the finger nail scratches under the door handles. Worked exactly as expected.
The prior owner had run a sander on the driver door sill. I sanded it down and polished it up and it looks 99% better. Hey, I am a beginner after all!

I do have a question: I keep reading about clay and if you drop it on the ground, throw it out cos it picks up contaminants. Wouldnt it make a lot more sense to clay the floor first so that if you do drop it whilst doing the car, you dont have to throw it out?

Founding Member #2
Use fresh clay bar on the car body/paintwork only to remove contaminants. You may try the last bits of partially used clay bar on the windshield and then treat and seal the windshield with products designed for the windshield/windscreen.

I haven't heard of using a clay bar on the floor. If the floor is too smooth, you may slip and fall :grin:

Premium Member
Ha ha yea I looked for an alternative because I just know I would drop it before starting. I use a dodo juice clay pad (coated sponge) instead. It's been great. Still okay after doing 4 cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts