Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
aka Denny
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, how many of you use nitrogen in your tires?

Once Summer was over I started having issues with my tire pressure monitor giving me a warning every few weeks. My dealer service rep suggested putting nitrogen in the tires. He thought the problem was due to our wild temperature fluctuations.

All I know is that I haven't had a pressure warning since moving to nitrogen a few months ago.

Anyone else feel like commenting? I searched the forum and only found a little discussion on the topic.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The issue is more to do with the dryness, air from the atmosphere contains water and this causes the large volume changes with temperature you experienced. If you can find a means of doing it there are no downsides

·
Registered
392 Posts
I use nitrogen in my tires although when I needed to change the psi up for a track day I had to add air so I will have to purge and refill next time I'm at a station with nitrogen.

-nmslk

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,275 Posts
I smoke it. Does that count?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nitrogen is great. We use it in all our racing apps as well as all my street vehicles. I'm lucky since I have a 50lb bottle of the stuff in my shop at all times. You will find more consistent tire psi's and little or no fluctuation due to tire temp. Tends to leak less and it's dry. Inside of the rims resist oxidation better etc. Is it worth it... hard to say, air does the trick and has done so for generations, but if you have access to it go for it.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,275 Posts
I've always used nitrogen 80% together with 20% oxygen and traces of other gases.
hee hee! ah the periodic table of the elements! what memories!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.