Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1441 - 1460 of 1460 Posts

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
4,759 Posts
Our one night away started with the usual run West along the newly completed M4 Smart revenue generating Motorway, luckily Tom Tom's up to speed on the speed camera's (y)
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Mirror

Hit the rain by the time We stopped for coffee at "Membury Services"....
Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

By the time We reached "Painswick" for lunch & a wonder, the rain had passed through:
Cloud Sky Building Window Plant

Luckily our hotel for the night had an SLK parking section..!!
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle

After overnight rain, the October sun returned - Tewkesbury Abbey in the back ground.
Cloud Sky Car Vehicle Land vehicle

After a drive around & viewing in Tewkesbury, nice cross country drive home via the Cotswolds:
Plant Sky Cloud Car Vehicle

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
43,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,446 ·
Upcoming trip necessitated shopping.
Of course I took the 55 as only me. Woohoo.
Lovely sunny morning even brought out the pcsos and traffic doing mobile cameras.

Not that I needed, but thanks to the locals that accidentally flashed their lights.
More cabrio lovers out there than you think.

Unfotunately I got carried away in the clothing store but did manage to card a 172.

·
**Premium Member 2014 SLK200
4,352 Posts
Needed to visit Wrexham yesterday so drove up via the 'pretty route', avoiding motorways, to stay Tuesday night in Oswestry. Stopped off at Berrington Hall near Leominster Berrington Hall for some light refreshment and a wander around the house. Austere from the outside but very pretty Georgian interior and, most likely, Capability Brown's last hurrah in garden/landscape design.

Carried on towards Oswestry stopping again at Stokesay Castle Stokesay Castle for afternoon tea and a very interesting tour of this splendid medieval fortified manor house. Highly recommend both venues if in the area.

On to Oswestry for the night, staying at a very comfortable B&B on the edge of town [directly opposite the copshop so felt SLK was pretty safe ;) ]
After conducting our business yesterday morning decided to go to LLangollen and up the Horseshoe pass on the recommendation of @Avel Du.
Ambled around the town enjoying the river Dee and the canal. Drove up to the top of the pass, stopping off at the Horseshoe falls [which is actually a weir designed by Thomas Telford to feed the start of the Llangollen canal]. Very picturesque spot. Carried on up the pass to the incongruously named Ponderosa cafe.

Windinherhair wanted to visit a fabric shop back in Oswestry on the way home so doubled back there for an hour or so before heading south. Stopped off at the Bathurst Arms for a light supper The Bathurst Arms on the way past.

Heater and airscarf on and top down all the way both days despite the forecast of rain yesterday which didn't materialise. Splendid
:cool:

Sky Cloud Plant Land lot Wood

Not a bad view from your bedroom.
Sky Cloud Ecoregion Natural environment Land lot

Plenty of room to park an SLK
Cloud Plant Water Sky Natural landscape

River Dee Llangollen
Plant Infrastructure Vehicle Tree Rolling stock

Yes, I know I missed the first L....
Water resources Plant Plant community Water Natural landscape

Something not quite right here:rolleyes:
Car Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

Looking back towards LLangollen from Horseshoe pass
Cloud Wheel Sky Vehicle Tire

Couldn't decide where to park:D

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
4,759 Posts
SLK in for it's yearly MOT and trying out Tim Purslow in North Hampshire, as My Service Plan is coming to an end.
Friendly staff, far better parking than main dealers and even got a workshop tour on My last visit..!!
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Plant Hood

Also have a few select run a bout's for sale - This SL400 at £48.8k has the same V6 - 43 engine as mine..
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

MOT Passed, made the most of a nice October day and took the long way home - Not sure about this branch obstructing the front door..!!
Plant Sky Cloud Building Window

Not quite sure how old these North Hampshire cottages are, but old:
Car Wheel Plant Sky Vehicle

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
542 Posts
Well, yesterday I used the SLK for all my shopping runs, by necessity as the E-Class has another issue, now with the gearbox. What is annoying is that the sun was out and lovely and warm, but the roof won't go down. Showing boot seperator not closed even though it is.

This morning after having my lovely training course from TTC, which was for the fab roof down photo of me and the missus from West Yorkshire police (40 in a 30 zone and my first for 20 years) I have got a bit wet inside the car from leaking seals above both doors and also a wet carpet only on the passenger footwell.

I have checked the battery box, which is clear but have noticed water leaking in under the door tweeter speaker, so guessing I need door and poss roof seals changing.
All gonna have to wait as I am expecting a huge bill on the other car. Just one thing after another ATM.

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280 "Benzie"
105 Posts
Hi,
it doesn't stop, this nearly summer weather 🌞🌞 20°C
Benzie was a bit dusty, so he got a bath...
As he was very shiny, roof in the back and 💨💨
I drove him a bit on petrol, normally LPG.
Engine nice and warm... nice tempo and quite fast acceleration...
Dash told me 15,5 l/100km 😏
But the v6 sound was great 😁🥰

·
4,352 Posts
Sun shining, blue sky and a brisk 6C so a cheeky top down trip to Burford Garden Company [ Burford Garden Co. ] for a light lunch with my niece. Then a blat down the recently resurfaced B4425 via Bibury [ https://www.bibury.com/ ] to Ciren [ Cirencester Website | Independently promoting Cirencester for over 20 years ] so that niece could see her aunt's stall at the Cotswold Craft Market
[ http://www.cornhallcirencester.org.uk/ ] in the Corn Hall prior to returning home just before dark.
Splendid :cool:

·
4,352 Posts
Needed to get niece back to Plymouth today so set off for an uneventful trip via M4, M5 and A38. Clear blue sky, chilly out but snug with heater and airscarf on.
On return stopped off to visit a friend in Brixham [anyone ever tried to park in Brixham?]. Heaven knows what was going on in Totnes but took nearly 40 minutes to get from one side to the other - about a mile.
Set off to return home about 7.00pm and all was great, even more snug with fur trapper hat on though did get a few curious looks as I passed other cars. All fine until I got fed up with the Motorway and decided to turn off up the A46 to go along the A433 (past King Charles’ old gaff) and home via Cirencester.
Got almost to Petty France when I encountered a sign saying A46 closed, follow diversion, and a substantial barrier blocking the road - except there were apparently no diversion signs. Fortunately a few cars appeared coming out of a side road so I guessed that might be a possible option. Set off down what rapidly became a single track, muddy and very dark lane. Came to a fork in the road and still no diversion signs. Used dead reckoning and took right fork which got even narrower. Spotted a field gateway which had enough room to pull off the lane which was a relief as I needed to peruse my map book and have a comfort break.
Now, if anyone knows the south Cotswolds and especially the Hawkesbury Upton area, you will know that it is very rural with no lights and very narrow lanes. Anyway, just as I was taking a ………………sigh of blessed relief, what appeared to be a local Landrover passed and set off purposefully along the lane that I thought may get me back on track for the A433 before morning light.
Sure enough the driver clearly knew the road and where to pull in when sporadic headlights approached from the opposite direction. After about fifteen minutes passing along an increasingly potholed and muddy lane we came to a small crossroads that led to a village called Didmarton (what did he do ?) which I know I needed to pass through to get to Tetbury and subsequently Ciren and home.
All in all an interesting ‘top down’ day but boy, am I glad the recent hosepipe ban ended midweek.
The SLK is going to need a proper good wash down tomorrow.

EDIT:
Brixham early evening yesterday. Inner harbour and Fish market in the centre.
Brixham has the highest annual value of fish landed across all ports in the UK apparently.

Sky Water Building Window House

·
*Registered
2013 SLK55 AMG
15 Posts
Needed to get niece back to Plymouth today so set off for an uneventful trip via M4, M5 and A38. Clear blue sky, chilly out but snug with heater and airscarf on.
On return stopped off to visit a friend in Brixham [anyone ever tried to park in Brixham?]. Heaven knows what was going on in Totnes but took nearly 40 minutes to get from one side to the other - about a mile.
Set off to return home about 7.00pm and all was great, even more snug with fur trapper hat on though did get a few curious looks as I passed other cars. All fine until I got fed up with the Motorway and decided to turn off up the A46 to go along the A433 (past King Charles’ old gaff) and home via Cirencester.
Got almost to Petty France when I encountered a sign saying A46 closed, follow diversion, and a substantial barrier blocking the road - except there were apparently no diversion signs. Fortunately a few cars appeared coming out of a side road so I guessed that might be a possible option. Set off down what rapidly became a single track, muddy and very dark lane. Came to a fork in the road and still no diversion signs. Used dead reckoning and took right fork which got even narrower. Spotted a field gateway which had enough room to pull off the lane which was a relief as I needed to peruse my map book and have a comfort break.
Now, if anyone knows the south Cotswolds and especially the Hawkesbury Upton area, you will know that it is very rural with no lights and very narrow lanes. Anyway, just as I was taking a ………………sigh of blessed relief, what appeared to be a local Landrover passed and set off purposefully along the lane that I thought may get me back on track for the A433 before morning light.
Sure enough the driver clearly knew the road and where to pull in when sporadic headlights approached from the opposite direction. After about fifteen minutes passing along an increasingly potholed and muddy lane we came to a small crossroads that led to a village called Didmarton (what did he do ?) which I know I needed to pass through to get to Tetbury and subsequently Ciren and home.
All in all an interesting ‘top down’ day but boy, am I glad the recent hosepipe ban ended midweek.
The SLK is going to need a proper good wash down tomorrow.

EDIT:
Brixham early evening yesterday. Inner harbour and Fish market in the centre.
Brixham has the highest annual value of fish landed across all ports in the UK apparently.

View attachment 621530
That’s quite the adventure! I’m glad you found your way out of that.
Great picture

1441 - 1460 of 1460 Posts