Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1421 - 1440 of 1460 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK350 "fastdawg"
4,791 Posts
This was yesterday, on a rare occasion, the Dawg followed me into work! My SUV was in the body shop getting a double gouge fixed in the passenger side back door from someone's heavy duty Lowes cart. Any, it's nice having the new seat in and the bad air bag replaced under recall. It's much nicer driving the Dawg these days.
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
542 Posts
After thundery overnight rain, had a sunny start for another one to one IAM Skills Day at Thruxton:
View attachment 618312

Parking with good company:
View attachment 618313

After a briefing, moved over to the pit area - Blue Calipers anyone?
View attachment 618314

Since seeing a Blue Alpine at the Nick Mason open garden event, seen quite a few of these out & about: (The Alpine has 1.8 Turbo / 300bhp engine - But only weighs in at just over 1100kg...)
View attachment 618315

As this was a half day training event, they put two temporary chicanes in to limit the top speed:
View attachment 618316

During Session 4, it started spitting with rain, but the track was dry - But the rain was setting in:
View attachment 618317

So was interesting being out for the last session in the rain, slower speeds, but a good experience of wet SLK grip, with the instructor saying during the bends with standing water:
"Do Not Lift Off" - "Do Not Lift Off"..... to carry the same speed through (y)
View attachment 618318

After staying around for lunch and the rain clearing through, had a chat with this R172/350 owner, who was taking part with His son in the afternoon session:
View attachment 618319

With the correct race line, this is a 70mph bend in an SLK, un-less your looking at fitting a new set of tyres..!!
View attachment 618320

Departing Thruxton, had a scenic North Hampshire top down drive home (via a petrol station..!)
Sounds like a fantastic day out. Brings back memories of the Rockingham event we had. Glad you enjoyed it👍

·
**Premium Member 2014 SLK200
4,352 Posts
As I had a day with no commitments yesterday I made a spur of the moment decision to take a trip to the British Motor Museum: British Motor Museum | Home
Set off up the Fosse Way with the intention of stopping at Batsford Arboretum for a coffee and snack in their recently extended cafe. Unfortunately, because of the roadworks and heavy traffic in Stow on the Wold, and even by taking a back route through Longborough, by the time I got to Batsford the lunch queue had started and was snaking round the building so canned that and went back to the car to continue the journey. Did card a silver 171 200 in the car park though.
Traffic after Moreton-in-Marsh was much lighter and had a pleasant blast all the way to the Museum.

In light of the recent sad death of Queen Elizabeth most of her cars that they hold are on display just inside the entrance. Some used for Royal visits, others her personal transport. These are some the ones in the news reels and documentaries currently being shown:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Combat vehicle Automotive design

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Car Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Plant Tire

Had a relaxed wander around the museum - brought back a lot of childhood memories.
One thing that did stand out was that, discounting all the political interference and union issues, the cars designed and built for the UK mass market from the 1960s up to the break up of the British motor industry were mostly pretty ugly and must have contributed greatly to the industry demise.

Finished up in the adjacent Jaguar Heritage Trust building which restored my faith that we could produce beautiful cars if the stars were aligned: Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Carded a white SLC 250D before leaving the car park.
Drove home back down the Fosse and then via the A3400 to Chipping Norton. Happily, the town centre at Chippy was closed to traffic as there is a Mop fair (Fun Fair) set up. This meant that, after negotiating the diversion around the town and getting on to the A361, I was able to fully appreciate both the car and the eleven miles of road - nothing in front of me all the way to Burford ;)
A good day ‘out out’.

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280 "Benzie"
104 Posts
Hi,
yesterday me and my missus went to a Mb meeting at a big Mb dealer.
Absolutely not with top down...😱 Constant downpours and temperature of 15º C...
It looked more boat sailing on the highway...
Driving home was one big downpour 75 km long... 🌧🌨💦💦
The meeting was very, very nice. Different kind of Mb cars and quite some nice SLK's. Also a SLK55.
Inside the showroom some very nice Mb cars... Also a few, I had to sell my house if I want to buy those cars...
A "slightly" veto of my missus... 😏 and a look at my gorgious SLK set me back with both feet on the ground.

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
674 Posts
Beautiful day today. Mid 70ºs F (21ºs C) and a clear blue sky. Drove La Bête to church, then ran errands before returning home. On the way back to the house, we suddenly came across this sight...

Sky Car Land vehicle Plant Hood

My Lady asked "What is that?"

I didn't reply but looked around the area for a Time Lord....... :)

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280 "Benzie"
104 Posts
Hi,
This weekend, we had a party because a sister in law became 60.
A 60 km drive on local roads, crossing 2 rivers, the Maas and the Waal.
The Maas (crossing at Megen) we had to cros with a local ferry... the Waal on a normal bridge
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille Cloud
Wheel Tire Car Cloud Vehicle

Nice weather on the ride towards on Saturday. We had one tiny rain shower... (with roof closed, of course 😁)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

The ride back on Sunday, even better weather, 18 degrees, very sunny, not to windy.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

My 2 loves in one picture...🥰
How "easy" it is to have a happy life...😎

The party was great, of course I had to drink a lot beer... we had hired a place to sleep at walking distance...
Breakfast at my wife's brother's place, that was very nice too...
And the same way, driving home. Now the whole trip with the top down. 👍

·
**Premium Member 2014 SLK200
4,352 Posts
Those retired members of the forum will know that 'days off' are actually quite rare but we had one today and, as it was clear blue sky and full sun, we set off for Stourhead Stourhead
Bit of a tedious two hour drive to cover a little over 60 miles via Cirencester, Malmesbury, Chippenham [didn't see Ged] Melksham, Westbury etc. However views and vistas were superb.
Pleasant amble around the lake stopping off at the various temples before climbing up throught the trees for a tour of the house and then tea and scones in the cafe.
Water Plant Sky Natural landscape Leaf

Water Sky Plant Water resources Cloud

Plant Door Food Pumpkin Flowerpot

Water Sky Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape

If it wasn't for the pumpkins it could have been spring.

After picking up a couple of items in the farm shop decided to head to Bath for an early dinner so set off along the A361 and A36 to arrive in Bath just as the rush hour was ending.
Very pleasant meal followed by a moon and starlit drive home via Pennsylvania, Old Sodbury, Petty France, Dunkirk, Knockdown [yup all place names on the A46/A433]
Ambient temp dropped to 6C as we approached Cirencester but nice and snug with a touch of airscarf and our fur lined trapper hats.
Another fine top down day 'out out' in our SLK :)

1421 - 1440 of 1460 Posts