Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1401 - 1420 of 1460 Posts

·
*Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
424 Posts
Back from my Naarfalk touring holiday yesterday! 570-ish miles in 6 days.

Day 1 to Waltham Abbey for the night after RV-ing with my beloved, then Day 2 to North Walsham. Which was all top up due to the luggage we needed to take. Fortunately the air con works perfectly and we were pleasantly cool even in the A11 traffic jams due to alleged road works! We stayed at the superb Beechwood Hotel, but went out to the Cross Keys at Dilham for dinner. On Day 2 after Eggs Benedict for breakfast, we visited the excellent Neatishead radar museum (my mum was a WW2 radar operator and I flew both the F-4 and VC10K in UK Air Defence), then dinner in the delightful Shambles Bistro only a short walk from our hotel. On Day 3 we went to Holt, then a trip on the North Norfolk Railway to Sheringham, a pleasant afternoon there before taking the NNR back to Holt - and a short drive to the Dun Cow at Salthouse for an excellent dinner before driving back to the hotel. More militaria on Day 4 when we visited the small RAF Bircham Newton Heritage Centre (we both have connexions with Bircham) then the Langham Dome. Out to the Banningham Crown for our final Norfolk dinner before driving back to Waltham Abbey for the night.

Back yesterday, off the M25 to drop the roof and on to Aylesbury on the A41, then Thame before taking a cross country route through Shabbington, Worminghall, Stanton St John, Islip, Bletchingdon, Enslow, Bladon and home! Car had behaved impeccably throughout.

And today it's Happy Birthday to my SLK32 AMG - 17 years in my possession!!

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
4,759 Posts
Been doing lots of top down drives in our best summer for many many years, but yesterday had a good drive "Out, Out" that included at least 6 English Counties and passing 3 major London Airports..!!

Starting out from "North Hampshire" head East along the "M3" then left clockwise on the "M25" past Heathrow for a bit of plane spotting during the slow traffic:
Sky Car Cloud Tire Vehicle

Luckily the pace picked up for the rest of the "M25", and after a shower just before the "M11" I used the SmarTop to put the roof up, which was a good decision as passing "Stanstead Airport" had a torrential rain shower, with the road awash..!!
Automotive navigation system Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Trip computer

After a fuel and comfort break at "Great Dunmow" Headed North & found some nice roads, if a tad wet with large puddles to be avoided...
Wheel Tire Car Sky Cloud

Hopefully the heavy rain will help revive the brown Essex countryside:
Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

Next stop was "Tarka's Cafe" near "Helstead" for a cuppa and cake with @MartinatMersea
Food Tableware Coffee cup Drinkware Table

Though the afternoon rain had set in so no sitting outside behind the cafe, but with its great parking would make a good venue for an Essex/Suffolk area SLK met (y)
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle registration plate Sky

After a drive, next stop was a nice country pub:
Automotive parking light Plant Land vehicle Building Sky

The pub was the venue for a evening car meet, with some nice cars present, though not all in this shot:
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

The event was hosted by YouTube's JayEmm - https://www.youtube.com/c/JayEmmonCars
Who has reviewed various SLK's and was an interesting evening with some nice homemade pub food & lots of car chat..!!
Table Tableware Drinkware Barware Drink

I departed top down for an hour's drive West cross country on empty roads to "Luton Airport" then South on the "M1" to "M25" and onward for My 95 mile drive home, needless to say I got home late..!! So thanks to Martin for giving the heads up to this car event (y)

·
4,759 Posts
After Wednesdays disappointingly wet day out to Essex, headed down to the "New Forest" today - With the late summer colours looking very nice in places:
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

A quick Google and the "New Forest" was created as a royal forest by William I in about 1079 for the royal hunt and does have some tree's even though during the 17th Century the Royal Navy built many galleons from New Forest timber.
Mirror Car Vehicle Plant Speedometer

Having reach the coast, treated My chief Navigator to Fish n Chips, over looking the "Needles" on the "Isle of Wight:"
Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Radio Car

Then moved along the coast a bit, towards "Christchurch" for this Needles view:
Sky Tire Water Wheel Car

Before a walk to see the Sunset over "Bournemouth"
Cloud Sky Water Atmosphere Plant

·
4,759 Posts
Another sunny day on the South Coast... Starting out with a drive to "Highcliffe" for coffee outside the Cliffhanger Cafe with excellent visibility across to the "Needles" on the Isle of Wight:
Wheel Tire Car Cloud Land vehicle

Then after admiring some very nice beach front homes, move along to "Highcliffe Castle" - Nice wedding venue if You want to splash some cash....!!
Sky Plant Cloud Window Wheel

Leaving the car parked at Highcliffe Castle, walk along the coast to a busy "Mudeford"
Cloud Sky Water People on beach Tree

Being just after lunch, got a very nice table for drink & food at "The Noisy Lobster:"
Sky Cloud Water Tableware Table

Followed by a walk around "Mudeford Quay" and would have been rude not to have an ice cream?
Water Sky Boat Watercraft Vehicle

Having walked the mile or so back to the car, one final stop in the lovely late afternoon sunshine:
Wheel Car Sky Tire Vehicle

Only just over 20 miles of Top Down driving covered, but so much better in an SLK, than a boring SUV... (y)

·
Administrator (Canada)
23,770 Posts
Had our first family reunion since covid grounded all of us. We've had no rain for 2 months now and the weather report gives us a HUGE storm for the day of the event.

Well, we've had multiple storm warnings over the last 3-4 weeks and not ONCE did it rain more than a bit (enough to really dirty up the windshield).

Heck with it, we're going topless. It had rained a wee bit overnight (road looked wet) so off we go. A bit of rain on the way there (2.5hr drive) so top up. It stopped so top down. Started a half hour later so top up and pee break. Leave it up for the rest of the way so naturally the sun was shining the whole way :rolleyes: No where near did this require a "storm warning".

On the way home, got wet and as there is NO place to pull over crossing the top of Toronto, so the top was up the whole way.

Averaged 32mpg Imperial going 110+ kph (had to clear some space around me which required a bit of extra oomph at times ya know 😉 ). Amazing how many people like to crowd you.

There were several that insisted on driving at the speed limit in lane 1 of 4 lane highway. Traffic just crawls but with the top down, still miles of smiles.

Don't let anybody tell you a V8 doesn't get good mileage.

Good girl Schwarzie 😁

·
*Registered
2019 SLC300
21 Posts
Took a drive today on one of my favorite roads near my house: Calistoga Road, which takes you from Santa Rosa (my home town) in Sonoma County to Calistoga in Napa County, about a 20-minute drive over the hills with great twisties and some great views. A top-down dream.
Sky Water Plant Nature Azure

Plus great cafes, restaurants, brewpubs, bakeries and more when you get there.

·
4,759 Posts
Nice drive West today to the Cotswolds, with a bit of research and lunch in Cirencester:
Cloud Sky Building Street light Window

Following by a drive to the chocolate box village of "Eastleach"
Cloud Plant Car Sky Vehicle

For a drink and catch up with @Windinmyhair & Mrs Windinmyhair:
Cloud Plant Sky Building Shade

On the homeward leg, passed though "Shilton" - Though wasn't tempted to do a under tray wash..!!
Wheel Tire Plant Car Vehicle

All in all, just under a 150 miles of top down driving - Just a shame that next week could be the last of this years best summer for quite a while....

·
**Premium Member 2014 SLK200
4,352 Posts
Did you visit the Victoria Inn in Eastleach?

That's the part of Shilton which appeared in Downton Abbey! The Old Forge became the fictional Red Lion - even though there's the Rose and Crown virtually opposite.

We're SO lucky to have such wonderful places here in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds!
Fully agree @nickwilcock

And very pleasant it was too.
Started the day by going out for a leisurely breakfast to a little place called 'The Nuttery': Home
Followed by a short drive to Stow on the Wold: Stow-on-the-Wold Tourist Information Travel Guide Had a mooch around and bought a chicken [oven ready for Sunday lunch]
Then on to Burford for coffee at Cafe Fifteen: Cafe Fifteen followed by the obligatory walk up and down the high street: Burford Tourist Information and Travel Guide Cotswolds
From there headed to Bampton Garden Plants: Bampton Garden Plants | Garden Centre & Cafe in West Oxfordshire stopping off at Aston Pottery on the way to see their flower borders: Homepage - Didn't partake of their lovely cakes but enjoyed the flowers:

Just got to Bampton when received a message from @Trev5 that he and his navigator were in the area so arranged to meet up at the Victoria in Eastleach, stopping off at home to put the chicken in the fridge on the way: Victoria Inn, Eastleach – traditional old stone pub serving food and drink in cosy Cotswolds setting near Lechlade and Burford
What a lovely day :cool:

·
4,759 Posts
Nice run out yesterday with the Southern SLK WhatsApp Group for a lunch meet up (y)
Thanks to @SpaceCowboy101 for suggesting The White Hart, just North of Guildford with it's suitable SLK parking and nice terrace for Fish & Chips all round: With @savcom dropping out, turned out to be a slightly R172 dominated event..!!
Car Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire

Instead of returning via the Motorway M3 - Did a Southern loop back to via Puttenham Common:

With the sandy surface making a tyre tread check more easy..!!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

For anyone interested in last minute Southern SLK/SLC meet ups, send Myself or @savcom a message & can by all means be added to the group (y)

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
43,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,417 ·
Not today, but our weekend jolly (until the spring broke) with several of our and our Scottish members touring Perthshire sans roof at Glenshee for lunch. 15 of us in total.
Great food, fun and company.

Cloud Land vehicle Car Sky Vehicle

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
674 Posts
Glorious weather the past week. Top has been down the entire time. While cruising back from the fort towards home, I spotted these two traveling north.
Sky Car Vehicle Street light Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Sky Tire Wheel

I had an Austin 3000 many years ago. Two-tone, blue over white. Fun car but I liked the XK120 more.

·
*Registered
2019 SLC300
21 Posts
Yesterday set an all-time heat record here in Sonoma County, California: 115 F! Too hot for top-down driving (they should make an 'Ice Scarf' for just this situation). But the problem was easily solved by a drive to the coast. Just 45 mins west - and an amazing 47 degrees cooler! By the time we were done cruising in the cool breeze of Route 1/Shoreline Hwy, it was dusk and the temp inland was down to a top-down-friendly 81 F. Just goes to show that I go where my SLC leads...
Wheel Car Tire Sky Vehicle

·
4,759 Posts
After thundery overnight rain, had a sunny start for another one to one IAM Skills Day at Thruxton:
Tire Plant Wheel Sky Vehicle

Parking with good company:

After a briefing, moved over to the pit area - Blue Calipers anyone?
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Since seeing a Blue Alpine at the Nick Mason open garden event, seen quite a few of these out & about: (The Alpine has 1.8 Turbo / 300bhp engine - But only weighs in at just over 1100kg...)
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Cloud

As this was a half day training event, they put two temporary chicanes in to limit the top speed:
Sky Cloud Vehicle Ecoregion Road surface

During Session 4, it started spitting with rain, but the track was dry - But the rain was setting in:
Vehicle Car Speedometer Sky Trip computer

So was interesting being out for the last session in the rain, slower speeds, but a good experience of wet SLK grip, with the instructor saying during the bends with standing water:
"Do Not Lift Off" - "Do Not Lift Off"..... to carry the same speed through (y)
Sky Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface Hood

After staying around for lunch and the rain clearing through, had a chat with this R172/350 owner, who was taking part with His son in the afternoon session:
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

With the correct race line, this is a 70mph bend in an SLK, un-less your looking at fitting a new set of tyres..!!
Sky Vehicle Car Tire Race track

Departing Thruxton, had a scenic North Hampshire top down drive home (via a petrol station..!)

1401 - 1420 of 1460 Posts