Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1321 - 1340 of 1362 Posts

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
41,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,326 ·
Great drive yesterday to Thrapston without top most of way. Roof up last part as rain and stretch of motorway not enjoyable.

roof up all day today en route to Essex sadly. Justabout to drop it when truck went past with sand and no sheeting.
Lucky as lots of them on A14 & A12.
Tomorrow? Fingers crossed.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,480 Posts
Not nearly so clear and bright for me 14 deg C and Mizzle, but the top went down and stayed down even though it did start to rain. Got some weired and strange looks from the unknowing..'appy days!
I find that even proper rain can be avoided with a little spirited driving! When in town or pootling around the top stays down until the auto windscreen starts to do it’s stuff.
Thinking about it, perhaps my keeping the top down rain, nighttime and winter has to do with having been a biker all my life 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edit: a biker all my life till I traded it in for the nearest equivalent I could afford - an SLK of course.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,480 Posts
Got rid of SV1000 and had SLK.
Then got rid of Bandit1200 had Benelli 500.
So got best of 3 worlds, :love:because sometimes 4 wheels is 2 wheels too many.
I concur. But at 63 my body just told me that I had to keep something between itself and the black stuff (I don’t mean the Guinness). The next time was going to be the death of me. Despite continuing efforts to go from crotch rockets to pootling ponies I find myself unable to rid myself of the boy racer gene. Decided that as I was bound to come a cropper again, next time I’d do it wearing airbags! I really regretted it for 6 months, but I’m now quite content.

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350 R171
250 Posts
I concur. But at 63 my body just told me that I had to keep something between itself and the black stuff (I don’t mean the Guinness). The next time was going to be the death of me. Despite continuing efforts to go from crotch rockets to pootling ponies I find myself unable to rid myself of the boy racer gene. Decided that as I was bound to come a cropper again, next time I’d do it wearing airbags! I really regretted it for 6 months, but I’m now quite content.
Exactly the same reasoning for me, I still have an R1 and a K1200S in the garage at the moment but am prepping them for sale.

My reflexes can’t keep up anymore.

😢

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
41,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,338 ·
So, after an excellent brekky in great Bentley we headed north.
Swapped driving duty half way.
Entire journey sans roof.
No Qs and sunshine.

saluted the spot where the wagon tried to end me last time we returned from Essex.

not a bad day.

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
4,499 Posts
Few extra pictures from the Tiptree Cream Tea meet yesterday - Shame about the fence..
Cloud Wheel Sky Car Tire

The after our pub meal/chat, heading back to the "A12" and got a good sunset picture:
Sky Wheel Cloud Tire Vehicle

Was going to put the roof up before joining the "M25" back around to the Heathrow side of London, but as it started spitting with rain just after taking the above picture, so relented and just put the roof up early... Normally I drive in "C" mode on the Motorways, but after filling up with Tesco's E5 fuel that cost over £2/litre... Been trying out the "E" driving mode:
Plant Automotive design Gauge Speedometer Vehicle

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280 "Benzie"
69 Posts
Hi,
Yesterday, I had my first coming together and a ride with other Mercedes cabrio drivers/lovers...
We met in the middle of the country, in de Bilt near to Utrecht.
R171: 1x SLK200, 2x SLK280, 1x SLK350
R172: 2x SLK350
R230: 1x SL500
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate

Chatting a bit and we started a ride...
But due to some road works my Garmin navy lost control of the planned route.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

A bit later, I lost the group, I had to stop 2 times for red traffic lights... pitty...
But it was fun to meet and ride with other SLK fans.
I drove a bit more as 220 km top down... that was fun...
When I drove from home, with side windows up, airscarf in middle position plus heater on...
It still was quite chilly.
Later windows down and enjoy... The views and sounds...

1321 - 1340 of 1362 Posts