Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1281 - 1300 of 1362 Posts

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
492 Posts
Been away on holiday for a few days to Metz and the Alsace region with my Mother. She has been adamant that we use the SLK even though she turned 72 whilst we were away and has a few movement issues, so who am I to disagree. Over the course of the 4 days she got into a 'rhythm' for getting in and out of the low seat so credit to her.

So the 570 miles down there was all motorway after using the Eurotunnel and we had rain most of the day but day 2 in Metz was great and some of the stained glass in the cathedral was stunning. Not really the place to drive the car around
Sky Cloud Plant Building Facade

Day 3 we had a day trip from Metz down to the Alsace and we started a mini tour of 5 towns. Thankfully the weather was fab :cool:so roof down the entire day, even 130km down the toll roads (the fabric wind deflector makes such a difference!).
First stop was Eguisheim
Sky Cloud Building Window House

Most of these small villages were medieval walled villages and even though were in France they have a German feel due to history of the region.
Then we went to Colmar but on the way got this on dash cam
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Asphalt

The architect of the statue of liberty, Auguste Bartholdi, came from Colmar, hence this statue in the middle of a roundabout.
We went on to visit the 'Little Venice' historic area of Colmar followed by the village of Kayesberg
Cloud Sky Building Daytime Window

From here we went up to Riquewhir and then across to Ribeauville. These villages all look very very similar but worth a visit. So time to head back but do I follow the sat nav or take the longer sat nav option.....
yes option no 2, off the main roads led to this view of the region
Tire Wheel Vehicle Cloud Car

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

We went up and over these single track roads between the vine yards before hitting the D416. This is a terrific road to have some fun on with plenty of hairpins, going over the hill range, but a word of advice.....make sure you have some fuel! We got a quarter of the way up before the light came on, but at this point were going up hill and I had been averaging 18mpg ish and the distance clock to empty was dropping quick. Not knowing where the next service station was had to take it steady for the following 12km's before reception came back on the phone, did the search, took the wrong turn off another roundabout onto a duel carriage way, and ended up running on fumes rolling in. Plus point, it was the cheapest fuel 95 fuel I have seen for ages, 1.65 euros!
Back home the following day.
Speedometer Odometer Car Gauge Steering part

Good mileage in 4 days and the MPG to say I was slightly over the French speed limits in certain places:whistle:

·
**Premium Member 2014 SLK200
4,141 Posts
There's a lot of those Bartholdi statues around France. There's I I've seen in a supermarket carpark in Barentin (upper Normandy) next to McDonald's😱. I've also got the nagging suspicion that I have seen one near Limoges or Poitiers.
Probably that one-off sculpture by Frederic’s lesser known American cousin Ronald Bartholdi🤔

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
4,499 Posts
Currently on a mini break down in Cornwall visiting family, plus an ice cream or two...!!

Leaving mid Saturday afternoon, had a quite run down with minimal traffic, un-like the miles and miles of queuing half term traffic on the A303 from Honiton to Stonehenge at every pinch point.... Good picture of the "Welcome Back to Cornwall" trees on the A30.
Tire Sky Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

While down here, was good to catch up with @JasonH1969 - Meeting up just North of Newquay:
(Should have been joined by @YYDeckard - But work prevented attendance with His new R172..)
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Followed by a nice cross country drive to Padstow - Where We gate crash an already parked R171/200:
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Having consumed our Fish & Chips by the main harbour in Padstow, and chatted to the R171/200 owner, who did a double take to find two SLK's parked next to his :LOL: Headed up to a windy Trevose Head:
Sky Wheel Car Vehicle Tire

Before heading back South to Watergate Bay, just before the sun set:
Car Cloud Land vehicle Wheel Tire

Great evening & thanks to Jason for coming out on a midweek work night (y)

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
604 Posts
Currently on a mini break down in Cornwall visiting family, plus an ice cream or two...!!

Leaving mid Saturday afternoon, had a quite run down with minimal traffic, un-like the miles and miles of queuing half term traffic on the A303 from Honiton to Stonehenge at every pinch point.... Good picture of the "Welcome Back to Cornwall" trees on the A30.
View attachment 614528

While down here, was good to catch up with @JasonH1969 - Meeting up just North of Newquay:
(Should have been joined by @YYDeckard - But work prevented attendance with His new R172..)
View attachment 614529

Followed by a nice cross country drive to Padstow - Where We gate crash an already parked R171/200:
View attachment 614534

Having consumed our Fish & Chips by the main harbour in Padstow, and chatted to the R171/200 owner, who did a double take to find two SLK's parked next to his :LOL: Headed up to a windy Trevose Head:
View attachment 614536

Before heading back South to Watergate Bay, just before the sun set:
View attachment 614538

Great evening & thanks to Jason for coming out on a midweek work night (y)
Good to see you again Trev, very enjoyable evening drive. Glad you're having a reasonable break - sorry about the local weather :(

·
*Registered
642 Posts
26.1mpg in a V6!?? I get 27-28mpg in a V8 :D.
Dude, How?
How can you do that?
I have no idea what mpg you are having in mind (the car shows) but still my 2.3l - 4 cylinder engine can't get bellow these 28mpg that you mention on daily 120-130 miles motorway drive, cruise control-ed 69-72 mph drive. And that was after first long drive, let's say cleared and warmed, dusted...whatever engine.
How can you do that with V8?
Are you pushing it half the trip?
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I was at shell last week and just now did the math 15.9916 litres/100km or 15US mpg, my car is older and doesn't calculate the consumption.
The trip is zeroed with every full fill and I drive until the red light comes up or I have to refill as will have a long drive.
Sorry for the off topic, just couldn't help it...

Attachments

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
4,499 Posts
26.1mpg in a V6!?? I get 27-28mpg in a V8 :D.
@Turbo You need to find some more enjoyable SLK roads..!! :ROFLMAO:
....sorry about the local weather :(
Yes, We didn't choose the best week to visit Cornwall....
Some more Cornwall pictures from the fishing port of Mevagissey, were We came across this 1936 Austin 7 Ruby Ulster, with a 17hp - 747cc engine...!!
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Sky

Very cosy cabin - Guessing a metal folding roof was not standard back then?
(Though it only tips the scales at less than 350Kg - Against 1850kg for My Face Lift R172...)
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

And as for boot/trunk space for two weeks of Road Trip luggage.....?
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,839 Posts
I honestly don't know how that's even possible either! But I'm am NOT light-footed!!

Even on my trip through Germany (Autobahn) and up to northern Sweden (about a 1300 miles one way) and pushing it HARD through Germany, I still ended up with a total average of about 25-26mpg. Can't remember exactly, I had it written down somewhere but can't find it now..

The best I've ever reached was 32mpg, but that was boring as heck!! :D :D. I used absolutely every shread of knowledge and experience I had with ultra-mileing :).

1281 - 1300 of 1362 Posts