Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1241 - 1260 of 1275 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
609 Posts
Not exactly under the sun, but driving at night with the top down has its perks....
Atmosphere Street light Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

Street light Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
40,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,248 ·
Windows. Up or down ?

My pet hate is people who drive a convertible car with the side windows up with the roof down. WHY?
Even more bizarre those who have only the rear windows up with the roof down 🙀
All 3
Sometimes up, sometimes down and sometimes 1 up & 1 down.

Drivers choice.
Paid for it, pay for the servicing etc and I will choose how it is used 365 days a year.

Enjoy your own driving choices and avoid the numpties trying to kill us all. They are much more of a priority (mind the potholes).

·
40,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,252 ·
Well, she took me out today.

Roof down, my window down, her window up!
Did wonder that should I put my window up, would she drop hers. Decided against testing.
I hate getting bruised arms just for chuckling to myself, because no way could I come clean without a thwack.

·
*Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
400 Posts
I drove home from Waltham Abbey yesterday wondering whether to put my computer bag in the passenger footwell so that I could put the top down, with my luggage snuggled in Roadsterbags....

Until, that is, I turned off the M25 and onto the M40. I'd planned to turn off the M40 at Stokenchurch to take the A40 rural route home, but as the heavens opened I realised that would have been a non-starter.

Oh well, perhaps there'll be a top-down opportunity soon......surely?

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
18,650 Posts
Managed to put 170 miles on Mabel yesterday, the majority of which was top down. Took a run from Balloch to Crainlarrich, Killin, Kenmore, over Schehallion to Amulree, before heading to Crieff, Comry, Stirling and then home via Drymen. Some great roads that were reasonably empty brought a daylong smile. :)

·
40,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,255 ·
'Drymen' love that place, not that the others are not good.
More pubs than people.

Took a lovely stroll down to Wales.
Saw a couple of 170s, one waved back and also had top and windows down.
A couple of 171s and four 172s All roof up, all non wavers.
(no, not carded. Heading the opposite way at pace. Not doing 3 point turns down those lanes!)

Oddly, Chester and Wirral had many last second pull outs who then dawdle.

The best was at a local shopping parade.
'L'earner on scooter, noisy beast parked on pavement. Took off, through parked cars and missed my rear by *** paper despite my horn and slowing down, His own exhaust had nearly killed him as he did not hear the horn and never looked my way until wobbling away after the near miss.

Ho hum. Never dull and not even in Hull.

·
40,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,256 ·
I love the sun!

I love the countryside.

Add in the purr of a 55 and .... HEAVEN!

One odd thing noted over the last couple of days.
Whilst I see a mixture of roof up/down, windows up/down for our SLKS, I only ever see saloon cabriolets with roof up/down, but windows always up. That said, most were Beemers, so perhaps linked to low indicator fluid issue.

·
*Premium Member
2013 SLK350/2008 SLK280
71 Posts
Ok, it’s a fair cop windows up or down when you drop the roof is a personal choice. Albeit clearly wrong with them up with the roof down 🫣
But unless you are a fan of old Jaws movies, ?…….. what the ………
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Ps….. So I don’t get a slap from the US military for using the wrong forum…. I did have my top down today 😎
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
40,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,258 ·
Ok, it’s a fair cop windows up or down when you drop the roof is a personal choice. Albeit clearly wrong with them up with the roof down 🫣
But unless you are a fan of old Jaws movies, ?…….. what the ………
View attachment 613580
Ps….. So I don’t get a slap from the US military for using the wrong forum…. I did have my top down today 😎
View attachment 613584
Mini, might be Manchester. Stick your hand in at the lights and lose your arm, rather than gain swag.

Sarge delegates slapping to his corporeal staff.

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280 "Benzie"
42 Posts
Hi,
Yesterday, around noon, I did a little trip to "investigate" what Benzie's petrol use is driving steady and as constant as possible riding on the highway.
Good weather, the sun shining onto my shining head... 😎 😁 So top down...
A round trip from about 70 km (43,75 mls).
Result in petrol use, 8,2 liter/100km or 12,2 km/liter 👍
Why?
The last 2 full tanks of LPG (what Benzie is running on, most of the time), where quite fast empty...
I used to drive around 300 - 400 km with a full tank (80% safety results in max 40 liter), between 14 and 10 liter /100km (7 to 10 km/liter)
One tank I used driving quite fast, much to fast on tiny back roads... 🤫
Result... after 245 km I filled up with 37 liter LPG... 6.6 km with 1 liter LPG (15,15 liter/100km)... Okay, during fast use...
Second tank load, last weekend a highway trip to our children in West Netherlands, 2x 140 km... steady driving...
Red light on again... again 37 liter LPG... :mad: result 13,3 liter/100km or 7,5 km/liter.
I think, something is not 100% with my LPG equipment. I think Benzie is using to much LPG (petrol use is okay).
I'm still looking what current tank load is doing.
After that, I will let my LPG expert look into my "problem".
Benzie is driving very, very good on both fuel's.
Petrol is doing €2,20/liter, LPG €1.06. I have to pay €30 more tax/month because I drive LPG...
So I have to use 26,5 liter/month to get even...

I must and have to say and write... while juggling with these numbers... o_O And wants to have everything near to perfect...
I still enjoy riding Benzie very, very much! I love this wonderful appearance, this exceptional way of "transportation"...
Sun is shining again... I think, Benzie wants out, top down again...
Coming afternoon there will be very heavy thunderstorms in my region, Benzie has to be back in my "man-cave" in time.

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280 "Benzie"
42 Posts
Hi,
went out for a moment... Top down of course.
A nice route, not to long, over tiny back roads, to stop in a village near to me...
To buy "ultra high quality petrol" for the boss... For use outside the car only...
Bottle Liquid Bottle cap Product Ingredient

2 bottles of "Oer Bier" and 2 bottles of "Le Fort Quadruppel"
(I share these with my misses... 🥰, she loves this "petrol" too)
Benzie is in my man-cave again. Still shining and satisfied (like his boss)
In an hour or so, rain is starting in my region.
Within a few hours a massive thunder- and hailstorm area is going to pass here.
Dutch weather forecasters expect a thunderstorm area maybe with big hailstones big as an inch 😱
At the moment this weather front is going through Belgium...
But Benzie is safe... He's in his house, my man-cave.

1241 - 1260 of 1275 Posts