Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1201 - 1220 of 1270 Posts

·
**Premium Member 2014 SLK200
4,056 Posts
Drove over to Oxford to drop Brother-in-law off for the Oxford tube at Thornhill and decided that it would be rude not to find a different route home so set out for West Oxfordshire and came upon a huge amount of traffic queueing at Woodstock. So headed north towards Bicester and then cut off west on some lovely byways over to Chipping Norton and then on to Burford. Got involved in the queue going into the Cotswold Wildlife Park where normally I would not be happy but was able to turn round and take the Burford/Cirencester road to then cut cross country. Three hours all in including a stop for a cappuccino in Burford. In the words of Del Boy, "lovely jubbly". :cool:

·
**Premium Member 2014 SLK200
4,056 Posts
Next time, try going up the Bayswater Road off the Headington 'hamburger roundabout' to pick up up the Islip, Betchingdon, Enslow, Wootton, Charlbury, Fulbrook route to Burford?
View attachment 612173
(with thanks to Google Maps!)

Lovely day for an SLKruise! Unfortunately I've had to stay at home today though.
(y) Good tip Nick. I did actually go through Wooton at some point before Enstone and I did wonder about Charlbury but didn't want to get tied up with the 'Diddly Squat' nonsense:(

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
312 Posts
Ah Easter , in NZ seen as one of the last long weeksends before winter kicks in . Warm 22 C and sunny , so 2 hrs to Auckland at legal limit cos the boys are out and will pull you over for a 5 km above reading . Top down , music up , fresh coffee , nice. Set the cruise and traffic was smooth until half way where I saw a Dodge SUV towing a trailer , both were weeving erratically. So I got passed that on the dual carriage way , only to realise it was now on my tail , still weeving . What can you do but try and lose the accident waiting to happen , so I gently increase speed and try not to upset others as I use both lanes to put some space between us . To clarify , unlike most road users , in NZ , drivers will hold a speed in all lanes and never move over to allow passing , no matter what that speed is, some do 90 some 100 or whatever . So gaps open and to pass you undercut on a regular basis. So im indicating and changing lanes , speeding up , slowing for the next gap , undertaking and overtaking , for about 5 km , and the Dodge is coming with me like it or not , OH NO , not a road rager , dammit , so with this behemoth using all the lane behind me ,I slow down to the limit . As I come up to the next car , I see clear road ahead , left lane right lane Supercharger 180 km/h , hold that for a bit and Im FREEEE.
In Auckland Iwent to a car dealer , to test drive a F/L 350 , eased it up to 160km set cruise tapped brake so the dude settled down a bit , at 100 km i hit cruise again , it picked up nicely , the dealer was spitting tacks , but hey im testing how i'd use it , never mind Easter and a license losing speed IF you get snapped .

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
478 Posts
Went for a drive in the 350 with the missus yesterday. Starting to get some occasional tingling in my fore arms and reckon it is from too much driving (HGV driver for a living) so told my self to do very little over this 4 day Easter break.
Well the plan was find a nice village and have a walk round it for the afternoon.....Well that plan did not happen

125 miles over the next 4 hours of glorious British country roads looking for that nice village to walk round.

Found a few small quaint villages with local ponds

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Also found a nice cafe for a spot of lunch
Plant Sky Building Window Tree

and then started thinking, I really need to try to drive a bit further. Went through a village called Melbourne and then saw this village on the map so had to see if there was any good driving roads.

Vehicle registration plate Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle

Well, it is no Nürburgring but as close to it as I could find:cool:

Got some inspiration for a new route for a Yorkshire meet.

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
4,431 Posts
Next time, try going up the Bayswater Road off the Headington 'hamburger roundabout' to pick up up the Islip, Betchingdon, Enslow, Wootton, Charlbury, Fulbrook route to Burford?
That's the route I always take from Burford back to the M40 (y)

Anyway, pictures form our Easter Monday run out to a not so local garden centre near Marlow:
Cloud Sky Vehicle registration plate Plant Car

Nice Lane leading up to the Garden Centre.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Flower

Typical, park at the furthest point, end of line, with a space and someone still parks next to You....
Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

The garden centre would make quite a nice venue for a SLK Meet, with grass parking for the summer - Just a shame the cafe no view or cosy seating area....
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting Vehicle

So remembered to take an old towle and the two bags of Slate, bag of Potting Muck, French Lavender (Beyond my pay grade why we didn't get a English Lavender!) Plus metal bug fitted a treat for the top down drive home :)

·
*Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
400 Posts
Trev5, often when I'm taking the Bletchingdon, Islip route to avoid Oxford on my way to White Waltham, rather than taking the obvious M40 / Handy Cross / A404 route I take a more SLK-friendly route! Islip, Forest Hill, Wheatley then the old A40 to Stokenchurch and B482 to Marlow and Bisham, avoiding the SatNav's attempts to put me back on the M40. There are some really nice stretches of the old A40, but also some nannying speed limits in places....

It's actually 6 miles shorter than the motorway route but about 15min longer!

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
40,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,209 ·
Finally got my cps sorted so a 'test' run required.
Sun cooperated with an absolutely cloudless sky so a chance to test the roof too.
Took it easy on the first 50 miles, but roads were near empty apart from the odd glitch.

A Porky got upset at being left behind in a series of bends whilst in a 40 limit (yes, I stuck to 40...literally),
He ended up overtaking me and then two others heading into a bend (nearly hitting the middle car in the boot).

A motor crosser (no lights, no plate, but he at least remembered his helmet cam) decided to go past touching the rear mudguard to the road. Then again for the car in front. But he did not filter to the front at the road work lights!

Single track road with road works, flagged through only to find a gully sucker busy at work.
Patience rewarded and first out to find roughly 2 dozen cars waiting to come through in the opposite direction.

Did any of it matter? Not a jot.
Wales and the 55 were both shinning brightly an I call home with a HUGE smile.

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280 "Benzie"
42 Posts
Hi,
I also went "topless" a few times last 1,5 week... The weather was very good... Sunny, nearly no clouds and around 20ºC.
Having fun at single track roads, even one I shouldn't drive... For local residents only... But hey, I'm paying all my taxes...
There is a quite narrow tunnel under the higway... 😁 Fun! Benzie likes to share his sound to nature in that tunnel... 👂
One cyclist didn't like it... He showed me on of his fingers :unsure:. I horned back... and went on towards over 160 kmh (60 kmh allowed).
I had quite some fun during these rides. Not good for economic fuel consumption...
Mostly I can reach 325-375 km with my tank of LPG (43 liter), now 240 km and red light is on already...
I think 1 liter LPG per 6 km... steady legal highway use, 1 liter per 10 à 11 km.
Yesterday, at one point on a nice curvy road, I didn't see a car on a certain spot...
It could have bin a civilian police car for a speed trap... I hope not, the bill will then be quite hefty.

I have to drive a bit more legal speeds and still have fun.
It's possible, I can do it. I will do it :cool:

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,448 Posts

·
*Registered
2004 SLK200K
113 Posts
Finally. In picture five we get to see where you live and there’s someone in some of the pictures so now we know you’re not alone! ;)
I don't live there, it's the car of those who mow my lawn on my property.

Thank you for your concern for my loneliness, although the dialogue is a little off topic.

·
4,431 Posts
Had a proper SLK Day "Out, Out" today - Started out with a run West along the "M4" Top down of course, before arriving at a sunny Cotswold Air Field - Thought it would be rude not to take a picture or two of this Boeing 747, which is a new Tourist Attraction there:
Wheel Sky Vehicle Tire Cloud

Shame the sun was on the other side..
Vehicle Wheel Sky Car Tire

Just need the steps moved over to the First Class door and I'll be ready to board...!
Couch Leisure Art Flooring Retail

First time I've visited the AV8 cafe, since the roof got blown off (again)... Still great inside:
Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Car

Not a bad turn out, for a April SLK mid week meet:
Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Leaving our morning coffee venue, David (with a little helps from my Tom Tom) did an excellent driving route to our lunch stop at "The Plough" in a village called "Ford" (Just as well the except other manufactures!)
Wheel Tire Car Sky Cloud

Having consumed a very tasty shortcrust pie and chips, did a loop around to "Charlbury" and then South on the "B4437" for one last group photo, before going our own ways.
Cloud Sky Land vehicle Wheel Car

After a run along "B4437" stopped for a cuppa:
Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Before heading back along the "B4437" towards "Charlbury". Now this road is used by "Harry's Garage" YouTube channel and while cleaning a days worth of bugs off the windscreen - Low and behold Harry drove past in His V12 Jaguar Coupe...!! My Dash Cam just managed to catch him.

This is one of Harry's Garage many video's on the car:

·
4,431 Posts
No, not filming - According to His Instagram post, He was just out and about in His Jag..!!
http://instagr.am/p/CcntiV2sNln/ Another top down Dash Cam picture from yesterday - This junction was marked as "Harry's Corner" on Google Maps, but has been removed for some reason:
Cloud Sky Hood Road surface Asphalt

Of course I proceeded straight over this junction & up the incline, at a gentle pace... :ROFLMAO:

1201 - 1220 of 1270 Posts