Mercedes SLK World banner

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,847 Posts
Had a top down drive just inside the M25 today, to cut some dead branches off a Bramley Apple tree...
....but while up the ladder & looking down on My car:

...thought of a good photo - I call it the 1:18 car model angle..!!

Then having tidied up in this afternoon's 33'c heat, headed back out of the M25, top down of course & Air-con around our feet - Though thought it rude not to stop at one of these (called a pub, apparently..!) for a "half a shandy"...
Thought the name of this Pub was very appropriate, for today's activities:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
29,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
2 almost days of TD fun.
Must be the poll season, as yesterday I had to run to the inlaws to remove some overhanging branches.
Quite funny watching the stairs as I parked with the roof already on it's way up,
only to produce a selection of tools for handling the tree.
Nice blip down the lanes on the way home.

Today, a shopping run, roof down both ways (good packing skills needed).
Went a lot cooler on the way home.
Being used to that signalling rain I pondered popping the roof up, but decided against.
Got stuck at lights as I was about to turn for the lanes and thought it had gone cooler,
so precautionary roof up.
As it was closing the rain started to spit.
Bah, could have got away with that, I thought.
Then it bucketed down (o-drenching).
Close call and another win for the SmartTop.

These wee beasties (especially with ST) have a way of making chores better.
Long live the SLKs even without any more being made.

·
29,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Oddball day.

Had to run the 350 to an Indy to inspect door seal and see just why water is getting in.
(it's irking the DCM and window motor).
Had to be roof up due to issue.

So that's how popcorn feels when cooking!!!

Thank the powers for ac.

Then had to run around in the 55.
You know that was roof down.
Felt soooo good & not much need for ac, but still nice on the feet & legs.

We get a lot of newbs asking whether to go 350 or 55.
Here's the simple answer.
Either will make you smile, has good performance and will be a joy to drive.
You like growl, go V8.
You like stealth, go V6.
Simples.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
290 Posts
Oddball day.

Had to run the 350 to an Indy to inspect door seal and see just why water is getting in.

Thank the powers for ac.

You like growl, go V8.
You like stealth, go V6.
Simples.
Agree myk. Plenty of fun to be had in the 350, and a bit cheaper on the fuel, but the growl is lovely from the 55's

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
1,692 Posts
You like growl, go V8.
You like stealth, go V6.

Simples.
Myk (@Avel Du) you, sir, have a way with words... hats off. BTW, I'd add the SLC300 into the "stealth" as well cos that car is no slouch. I had a tangle with one on a highway between NJ and Pennsylvania, is all I'll say.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
324 Posts
I haven't put the top up on La Bête while driving for the past month or so. The times it had rained, La Bête was safely ensconced in the garage or was already parked and the top was up. When it was time to drive, the rain was over and the top came down. It has been hot, but that doesn't matter to me. Get moving and all would be well. Bottomline, the top has protected the car any time I wasn't in it, or it was parked inside the garage.

Color me surprised at say the least. After returning home and parking in the garage, I got out of La Bête and walked around to the other side to fetch my brief case to go inside the house. As I crossed over to the passage side I espied this....

Now when did that happen? Looking around, I then spotted another hit....

I felt like a British destroyer captain who got jumped by a pair of German Stukas.

That was some good bombing.... :oops:

Out with leather cleaner.

·
29,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Had to run the estate in for service.
Walked back and took father in law to docs in Debs 350.
Wary of dcm as it got wet, so lid up.
Picked up the estate and swapped for the 55.

Top down asap. Quick run around the block.
Not my block.
In fact this particular block is a fair way from the house.
But it was a very nice block, especially in the sun.
So nice, that I feel the need to visit it again, real soon.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
3,736 Posts
20200823_143315.jpg
20200823_142931.jpg
Took the car to the shops just to see if it was less painfull for me to drive than last time i was in it a couple of weeks back ( hernia issues again 🤬 ) .. not to bad but was only a 30 min drive....... and in that drive i had a bird strike !! ...direct hit to offside front wheel.
Guess i will need the wheel off to get rid of the mess...not the sunday roast i was after !

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,478 Posts
View attachment 582812 View attachment 582813 Took the car to the shops just to see if it was less painfull for me to drive than last time i was in it a couple of weeks back ( hernia issues again 🤬 ) .. not to bad but was only a 30 min drive....... and in that drive i had a bird strike !! ...direct hit to offside front wheel.
Guess i will need the wheel off to get rid of the mess...not the sunday roast i was after !
🤢 Eeeeeuuuuww

·
29,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Took the car to the shops just to see if it was less painfull for me to drive than last time i was in it a couple of weeks back ( hernia issues again 🤬 ) .. not to bad but was only a 30 min drive....... and in that drive i had a bird strike !! ...direct hit to offside front wheel.
So...
That's what you mean by 'feathering' the brakes, huh?
Or is that cooking on the brakes.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
324 Posts
How many times have you sat at your table sipping a glass of wine and asking yourself.......

How many bottles of wine can I carry in the trunk of my SLK and still drive with the top down?

Wonder no more my friends. My Lady and I went on a field trip today and found ourselves answering that very question.

The answer you ask?

At least.....,

well, you need to read to find out......;)

My Lady and I attended a wine dinner at our favorite restaurant, the Café des Amis. Operated by Guillaume and Ingrid Hanriot (both of France), this café offers French traditional provincial and progressive meals. We have dined at this café since it first opened in the 90s. Their wine dinners are especially wonderful, with excellent pairings of food and drink. Today's offerings included a war between wines....

Needless to say, the meal was excellent and the wine selection was superb.

So, how many bottles can one carry in the trunk and still drive with the top down?

The answer is.....

.... at least 32.

And still room for a Mercedes lawn chair.....

This important SLK information has been brought to you by Leser Laboratories™: always answering the questions you have never thought of asking :)

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,095 Posts
Oddball day.

Thank the powers for ac.

You like growl, go V8.
You like stealth, go V6.
Simples.
You put that brilliantly Myk. I like my smiles stealthy; so it’ll be a facelift 171 350 that I’ll be trading up to ;)

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
15,652 Posts
Just had a couple of days touring the borders with my boy, stopping over night in Langholm. A little cooler than of late but had the top down for 90% of the 500 miles covered. Some beautiful roads and scenery. Strangely, the roads were empty which was fun! (y) :p

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
290 Posts
Had to go for a covid drive thru test today (so I can get an x-ray at the hospital. We have to have a negative test before getting any appointments). Tried booking it last night. My nearest option was Llandudno in Wales which is 206 mile round trip! Website is bonkers.
Decided to try again when the website will be quiet.....3am whilst I was at work.
Ended up booking a visit to Scunthorpe for a 60 round trip. Can take the SLK I thought, no rain forecast and as I would finish work at 6 and the time slot was 11, thought it would work well.
Call from the docs at 8.30 woke me, need another appt to see them at 3pm this afternoon. I have a bit of free time now to try to stay awake between them.
Ended up doing 140 miles today, all roof down visited the Lincolnshire Wolds. Really enjoyed it and somehow I am still awake. Now been 26 hours on the go. Be feeling the sleep soon.

·
29,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Had to go for a covid drive thru test today (so I can get an x-ray at the hospital. We have to have a negative test before getting any appointments). Tried booking it last night. My nearest option was Llandudno in Wales which is 206 mile round trip! Website is bonkers.
Decided to try again when the website will be quiet.....3am whilst I was at work.
Ended up booking a visit to Scunthorpe for a 60 round trip. Can take the SLK I thought, no rain forecast and as I would finish work at 6 and the time slot was 11, thought it would work well.
Call from the docs at 8.30 woke me, need another appt to see them at 3pm this afternoon. I have a bit of free time now to try to stay awake between them.
Ended up doing 140 miles today, all roof down visited the Lincolnshire Wolds. Really enjoyed it and somehow I am still awake. Now been 26 hours on the go. Be feeling the sleep soon.
Should've done Wales. Roadtrip!

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
45 Posts
Sun brought a scorcher topping 30degsC !! This is Tome and Beaufort cheese land
as we sped through Thoiry village on our way to Lescheraines to the chocolate and ice cream factory.
En route to Les Bauges area of Savoie in France, it was still 28.5degsC at 1100m.
Aficionados may spot Margériaz mountain which peaks at 1845m.
I'm happy to say that these sights are about 15mins from our front door (sorry about the wires).
Well known for white wines such as Apremont or Chignin Bergeron (Fondue anyone?), but if ever you're out here taste Mondeuse red wine with Beaufort and you'll be sold.
Brasserie Mont Blanc boasts the best beer in the world (heard that before), but to their credit their "Rousse" is excellent ale. All their beers are brewed from water shipped to the brewery in Chambery from the Mont Blanc. Kinda pure I suppose.
BTW here in my area E85 Ethanol is €0.635/litre so it typically costs me €38 to fill up. The V6 likes it as much as I like the BMB Rousse ale, but it shifts faster than I can drink. 🤣🍺🍺 (I don't mix the two BTW).
I suppose you could conclude that we're greedy but really these are all good excuses to get out, drop the top and listen to the V6 purr us to heavenly food. And mine's a 6-speed manual. Ah the joys of summer motoring.

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
45 Posts
Beautiful Mt. Rainer, I took a drive over Chinook pass on Hwy 410 in Washington today, Mt. Rainer looked surreal, the pics do not do it justice. This is a must see if you're ever in the area. View attachment 582631
In year 2000 we were lucky enough to be expats living on Mercer Island. Looking at Mt Rainier became an automatic reflex for the whole family. So much so that when we moved to the Bay Area we all carried on looking out for it. Endearing. I could say I'm jealous, but see my post too. :cool::cool:

·
Registered 2016 SLK250D
123 Posts
Sure did. Drove 2 hours around Gloucestershire looking for nice clear main roads to cruise in the sunshine. Got to make the most of the warm weather - especially while we're social distancing. A drive in an open top car in the sun is just the ticket!

101 - 120 of 139 Posts