Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
921 - 935 of 935 Posts

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
489 Posts
I had a two hour return trip, roof down in the blistering sun today.

Saw another R170 in Connor Downs, waved and got a wave back 👋.

It wasn't one of my usual "get in and waste some fuel driving about and seeing where the car takes me" trip either; yesterday evening I heard a loud bang from the decking outside the back door and when I investigated I found...

A young gull had flown into the house and fell onto the deck, breaking a leg :(

It's parents weren't impressed with me interfering so I put out some water and went in to phone the RSPCA, who weren't any help and found the number for the bird hospital in Mousehole, West Cornwall. They were closed, reopening today at 11:00.

I left the bird overnight then prepped a box for it this morning, caught it and the SLK became a bird ambulance 🚑.

So an hour later we were threading through the tiny streets in Mousehole, trying not to run over any tourists, soon found the Bird hospital and dropped it off.

Mousehole looked beautiful today...

I had an hours journey home listening to the Exhaust blatting away and smiling from ear to sunburnt ear :giggle:

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
44 Posts
Just a short trip into Whitstable town to see my Dad, the place was heaving, even more so given the very warm and sunny conditions. Cannot see the attraction of the place for tourists though i suppose living here makes one blasé about the place.
Still the roof was down and the return journey along the slopes was enjoyable.
Roof down, warm weather and sunshine just makes you happy and your car doesn’t have to cost a fortune.

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
3,820 Posts
With the lovely warm weather finally arrived here in the South, been out & about top down taking the long way home in the Hampshire country side:

Though yesterday evening, had a nice drive over to Liphook to help out with My iCarsoft Diag Tool on @Stevie1 R172 - With a shandy debreif at a local hostelry afterwards:

Followed by the classic SLK top down drive home in the dark - Still 22'c at half ten (y)

·
Administrator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
19,050 Posts
Going to work in the early morning sunshine with the top down makes the day more approachable and coming home after a hard days work with the top down down just gives you that pick me up thats needed.
Makes for a much enjoyable ride BUT I was frequently late getting to work in the morning and late getting home for supper ;) :rolleyes: 😁.

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
3,820 Posts
With daily temperatures this week peaking around 29/30'c here in North Hampshire, had a proper SLK Day "Out, Out" yesterday.... (y)

With a predicted high of 29'c, departed at ~7:30 while it was mildly cooler, heading West along the "A303" past "Stone Hendge" before heading North across "Salisbury Plain" towards "Devizes". Even after our wet June/July the countryside is not looking so green now:

Fancy entrance to this property, at the top of "Bowden Hill"

Finally made it to "Allington Farm Shop" near "Chippenham" for a cooked breakfast with @Windinmyhair (Note the SLK Social Distancing..!! ;))
Link: https://www.allingtonfarmshop.co.uk/

Staying South of M4, next stop was "Lacock" and found the special Roadster section of the National Trust car park:

This pretty village has been used as a film set for a variety of film and television productions, including Harry Potter, Wolf Hall, Cranford, Downton Abbey, Pride and Prejudice & was surprising quite for a July Wednesday walk around.
After a cold drink in the shade & a butter milk "99" ice cream, We party our ways.
But did take one picture, before departing "Lacock" (Note the lack of aerials & Satellite Dishes..!)

While driving back up "Bowden Hill", thought it rude not to stop for a late lunch at "The Rising Sun" with it's new decking area over looking the "Avon valley", with a cold shandy & cheesey chips snack, while planning a scenic SLK route back:

Back on the road again, came across this Chocolate Box cottage down a country lane, South of "Calne":

One of the nice roads through the "Vale of Pewsey" on the North Side of "Salisbury Plane"

Worked My way back down to "Andover" and then back along the "A303" - Finally made it back to Basingstoke with an extra 137 quality top down miles on the clock (y)

(Driving around the country lanes in low gears, does not aid the AMG's mpg....)

·
* Premium Member
35,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #930 ·
Needed some bits and bobs so I nipped the mile to the shops.
No top, now windows and a couple of hours drive, 2 countries, 4 counties later I was suitably supplied.

Had a bit of fun with a Leon. We both got stuck behind one of 'those' 40 in a 30, 40 in a 60 etc nuts.
When he pulled off the Leon went nuts and hoofed it.
I stuck with 60 max and a bit of throaty roar here and there. (Country lanes, livestock movement, tractors, cyclists...not worth the hassle).
Leon never got far, despite the extra straight line speed he was doing (bet his brakes were hot though), but when he had chance to overtake a car safely, he opted not too. I could have done both (I know the road and the turn offs, farms) but chose not to rile him off the road.

Absolutely gorgeous day. Very thankful for the factor 50 and leafy shade down the lanes, plus ac on the legs.

Perfect.

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
489 Posts
With daily temperatures this week daily peaking around 29/30'c here in North Hampshire, had a proper SLK Day "Out, Out" yesterday.... (y)

With a predicted high of 29'c, departed at ~7:30 while it was mildly cooler, heading West along the "A303" past "Stone Hendge" before heading North across "Salisbury Plain" toward "Devizes". Even after our wet June/July the countryside is not looking so green now:
View attachment 601719
View attachment 601720
Finally made it to "Allington Farm Shop" near "Chippenham" for a cooked breakfast with @Windinmyhair (Note the SLK Social Distancing..!! ;))

View attachment 601721
Staying South of M4, next stop was "Lacock" and found the special Roadster section of the National Trust car park:
View attachment 601722
This pretty village has been used as a film set for a variety of film and television productions, including Harry Potter, Wolf Hall, Cranford, Downton Abbey, Pride and Prejudice & was surprising quite for a July Wednesday.
After a cold drink in the shade & a butter milk "99" ice cream, We party our ways.
But did take one picture, before departing "Lacock" (Note the lack of aerials & Satellite Dishes..!)
View attachment 601723
While driving back up "Bowden Hill", thought it rude not to stop for a late lunch at "The Rising Sun" with it's new decking area over looking the "Avon valley", with a cold Shandy & snack, while planning a scenic SLK route back:
View attachment 601727
Back on the road again, came across this Chocolate Box cottage down a country lane, South of "Calne":
View attachment 601728
One of the nice roads through the "Vale of Pewsey" on the North Side of "Salisbury Plane"
View attachment 601729
Worked My way back down to "Andover" and then back along the "A303" - Finally made it back to Basingstoke with an extra 137 quality top down miles on the clock (y)
View attachment 601730
Great trip, nice way to spend the day mate. (y)

·
**Premium Member 2014 SLK200
3,417 Posts
With daily temperatures this week daily peaking around 29/30'c here in North Hampshire, had a proper SLK Day "Out, Out" yesterday.... (y)

With a predicted high of 29'c, departed at ~7:30 while it was mildly cooler, heading West along the "A303" past "Stone Hendge" before heading North across "Salisbury Plain" toward "Devizes". Even after our wet June/July the countryside is not looking so green now:
View attachment 601719
View attachment 601720

View attachment 601721
View attachment 601722
This pretty village has been used as a film set for a variety of film and television productions, including Harry Potter, Wolf Hall, Cranford, Downton Abbey, Pride and Prejudice & was surprising quite for a July Wednesday.
View attachment 601723
While driving back up "Bowden Hill", thought it rude not to stop for a late lunch at "The Rising Sun" with it's new decking area over looking the "Avon valley", with a cold Shandy & snack, while planning a scenic SLK route back:
View attachment 601727
View attachment 601728
View attachment 601729
View attachment 601730
'twas a very pleasant, if very hot, day out in good company and with some stunning Wiltshire and Berkshire scenery as a backdrop. Discovered that a straw panama/trilby will stay on the head at least up to the national speed limit provided windows up and draught stop in place (y)
Handy to know when the sun is too fierce for the usual ball cap.

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
489 Posts
Cracking weather - But is that an SLK parked down on the Harbour Quayside..?? View attachment 601737
Ha, ha, that was from your recent holiday I take it!

I used to fish off that harbour wall many, many years ago and from the lifeboat slipway just before you get to the village. The lifeboat station was the home of the "Solomon Browne" which was lost with all hands in the storms just before Christmas 1981 trying to save the passengers and crew of the Union Star. It was a terrible disaster and a story of the unflinching dedication and bravery of the lifeboat crew can be read at RNLI History - The 1981 Penlee Lifeboat Disaster

I can't drive into the village without thinking about all those people, even to this day.

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
477 Posts
For the first time in years, I was able to donate blood. I was in Germany during the Mad Cow times and Chernobyl and barred from giving blood. Then the Chernobyl restriction was dropped, but Mad Cow was still an issue. Now Mad Cow is only a issue if you lived certain countries for an extended time.

Made my appointment a few days ago. The draw site was in the state prison here in Lansing, so got a chance to see a little bit more of the prison than I normally see.

Afterwards drove onto post to buy some new running shorts, then on to the Parish Hall to write checks, then finally home to start my chores. It is in the 90º's with high humidity but still quite pleasant to drive around town. I would still be out driving if it wasn't for the chores. The plants are begging for water.

921 - 935 of 935 Posts