Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

841 - 860 of 878 Posts

·
* Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
329 Posts
Just a little tootle through the Oxfordshire Cotswolds yetserday afternoon. Down the A40 to Burford towards Shipton-under-Wychwood before turning off on the Charlbury road. I stopped for a couple of piccies; as I was about to drive off the Red Arrows flew past on their way to Brize!

Turned off to drive through the Wychwood forest to Leafield, then the Ramsden road and the B4022 back to Witney. No other SLKs around, but an elderly gent in an MG TC coming the other way gave me a cheery wave.

It might be almost 18 years old now, but my car still gives me lots of smiles per gallon!

·
* Registered
2005 SLK350
183 Posts
Another gentle pootle into the peak District. Only 50 miles and an average lower than that. Found my self wondering I should offer this up as a midland meet. Leek to onecot onto Buxton, Matlock finishing at carsington water or Ashbourne. Mix of twists and A road. Any interest?

·
* Premium Member 2014 SLK200
3,311 Posts
Run out west on the A40 to Ross-on-Wye today. Glorious sunshine and, apart from Birdlip to west of Gloucester, hardly any traffic. Scenic drive through Forest of Dean and on to Ross.
Seems most of Ross closes after about 2.30pm on a Saturday but found a place for a very nice Tapas lunch and then a stroll along the river.
Return journey south along A40 towards Monmouth and a detour up the Wye valley to Tintern followed by a diversion back through the forest almost returning to Monmouth before heading on to Chepstow. Some thoughtless folk had closed the east bound old Severn bridge so had to have a quick blat down the M48 to pick up the M4 to cross over the Prince of Wales bridge. M4 to A46 north and home via Cirencester.
Stunning scenery and loads of trees @Squishband

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,027 Posts
Run out west on the A40 to Ross-on-Wye today. Glorious sunshine and, apart from Birdlip to west of Gloucester, hardly any traffic. Scenic drive through Forest of Dean and on to Ross.
Seems most of Ross closes after about 2.30pm on a Saturday but found a place for a very nice Tapas lunch and then a stroll along the river.
Return journey south along A40 towards Monmouth and a detour up the Wye valley to Tintern followed by a diversion back through the forest almost returning to Monmouth before heading on to Chepstow. Some thoughtless folk had closed the east bound old Severn bridge so had to have a quick blat down the M48 to pick up the M4 to cross over the Prince of Wales bridge. M4 to A46 north and home via Cirencester.
Stunning scenery and loads of trees @Squishband
Sounds like a very pleasant drive.

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
17,172 Posts
Took some time out yesterday to head out round the local back roads and ended up at Harelaw Dam.

Spent an hour there sitting in a topless Mabel watching the anglers not catching anything. :)

·
Super Moderator (UK)
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
4,174 Posts
I suppose the sun must have been up somewhere in the world, but I took a long-way-round starlit drive out yesterday with the top down to a nearby car park, where a few of the local astronomy society had gathered to look at the stars through telescopes. (There were other cars parked elsewhere on the car park. No idea what THEY were up to .... 😳😱🤐 - as you can see, we averted our gaze)

Here's a picture of the Milky Way I took while we were there:

Driving home at two in the morning with the top down was glorious. Absolutely glorious. Main roads and some lanes. No traffic, no holdups. And no need for factor 50. 😎

·
* Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG w/P30
139 Posts
Took a 6 AM drive today to visit my local peregrine falcon family. The first step was a spirited run up the beautiful, tree-lined George Washington Parkway to a parking lot for the C&O Canal.

Then a mile hike down the old towpath, followed by a deer trail down into the Potomac Gorge, and finally a bit of rock climbing. Now I was able to view the family. Here is Dad. He's a layabout in a hot day like this (90 F / 32 C), but don't be fooled! Ge captured an brought home two ring billed gulls, each nearly his size, in one day.

I was hot and exhausted when I got back to the AMG, The cool breeze on the way home felt wonderful.

·
* Registered
2001 SLK320
435 Posts
[/Q
Went to the shops, bought bread, milk, olive oil and other gubbins. Watched the F1, home and braai (bbq) ostrich steak! Wine of course! How do I post a pic please? :)
You can paste a photo straight into your post or click on the little landscape photo symbol at the bottom of the text box and browse your photos from there.

·
Administrator (UK)
34,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #853 ·

·
Administrator (UK)
34,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #854 · (Edited)
Time for cigs said Zebedee, so I went the long way round. Not the route I had planned as road works and closures all over the place. Even my work around routes were blocked.
Anyhow, roof and windows down so I didn't care.

Could have sworn that I was in Scotland. 4 seasons every few mile, driving in bright sunshine whilst the rain played pit a pat on my bonce. Deffo Wales though. Sheep in road at the Horseshoe, more police than I have seen in total during covid. Gotta hit the tourists whilst they can. Some new cameras to back up the fundraising efforts. And an entire truncheon of bobbies at The Ponderosa (They use it and the local roads for training).

Eventually worked my way through to Trevor & Llangollen. Had a few runs with the bikers (nobody gunning it).
Rain still hadn't stopped but a mile from home I surrendered. Fine when moving but I was getting soaked when traffic stopped.
Currently, I have smarttop off whilst I problem solve. Today was a reminder of just how good it is. Missed it so much.

Despite the soaking, roadworks etc and cutting short, still enjoyed a roofless drive and my first visit abroad in a good while. Even a poor drive sans roof can make you smile.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,027 Posts
Don’t know if there are any other pipe smokers on the forum, but if there are they will probably have heard of Blakemar Briars where Mike Billington continues to produce really excellent pipes.
Anyway, I decided to drive up there to buy some tobacco and have a chat with him about a pipe I want him to make me.
He’s up near Northampton. I took the A40 out past Oxford and then turned north east across country on some amazing lanes, through sleepy villages dozing in the burning sun. For half an hour I hardly saw another car.
2 hours up there and an hour and a half back all topless. As you can see, overall petrol consumption was good (and I even had time to visit my secret spot and wound it up to 125 for a bit 🥳).

Oh, and I managed not to get sunburned (y)

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
387 Posts
Another gentle pootle into the peak District. Only 50 miles and an average lower than that. Found my self wondering I should offer this up as a midland meet. Leek to onecot onto Buxton, Matlock finishing at carsington water or Ashbourne. Mix of twists and A road. Any interest?
That sounds like a nice Sunday drive. If arranged I'd be interested(y)

·
* Registered
2006 SLK350
229 Posts
It's been perfect SLK weather here and I've been taking full advantage. Little over 100 mile round trip yesterday and lots of shorter local trips. Was out right at sundown and for the first time saw the comand screen switch from day to night mode. Then I noticed my headlights were on and my rear view mirror had dimmed. Such an excellent little car.

841 - 860 of 878 Posts