Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

821 - 840 of 878 Posts

·
* Premium Member
2007 SLK 55 AMG
307 Posts
I've had the top down all weekend! The weather has been (and still is) amazing in the UK, in the mid 20's and no sign of changing any time soon!

Spent a few hours washing and buffing, then it was time to drive - had the usual cyclists to avoid and the inevitable modified Seat Cupra/Ibiza up my backside, but apart from that, I've enjoyed some proper B-road blasting (y) (y) (y)

Really happy with the suspension set-up and ride height now, it's sharp & poised. The Sprint-booster is a welcome addition too, makes for a much more responsive drive - if you're thinking of getting one, just do it!

We drove down to the Forrest of Dean for an overnight stay (dinner out etc) and this was the first time the wife had been in the car since quote "I've been messing about with it" and it got the seal of approval, even commented on how good she sounds!!

The only disappointing thing all weekend.... I saw at least 3 or 4 SLKs with their roofs up! Each to their own I guess...

IMG_9160.jpg
IMG_9161.jpg

Full windows down driving = big hair and smiles!! 😁😁😁

Long may this weather continue!!! 🌞🌞🌞

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
17,172 Posts
My daughter is in the final year of taking her masters in film making at uni and has to shoot a short movie she's written. Yesterday she needed to go looking at some loch locations for it so I volunteered to drive her. We covered over a 100 miles with the top down and ended up choosing one less than five miles away. :D

·
Super Moderator (UK) 2008 Black SLK350.
1,460 Posts
Had a day "Out, Out" yesterday - A sunny May Bank Holiday Sunday, so just a case on avoiding the traffic jams.... (y)
Heading West, as predicted the cloud started to burn off by "Hungerford" through the "Savernake Forest" before working our way down to "Salisbury Plain":
View attachment 598559
Next stop was "Shaftesbury" - Luckily their special SLK parking space was available..!!
View attachment 598560
Shaftesbury is a nice little town to walk around, with nice views from the park - Google Maps: Shaftesbury · Shaftesbury, UK
View attachment 598566
...and has the famous Hovis Hill...!!
View attachment 598569
Departed "Shaftesbury" heading West on the "B3081" up some nice hairpin bends onto Cranbourne Chase - Luckily the chief navigator was onboard, as a Panda car was sitting at the top...!! Next stop was "Win Green" Hill - Google Maps: National Trust - Win Green · Win Green, Donhead Hollow, Ludwell SP7 0ES, United Kingdom for lunch with a view:
View attachment 598573
The clump of trees in the back ground is "Win Green"
View attachment 598574
Heading South to the "Purbeck Hills" and passed "Corfe Castle"
View attachment 598575
Before arriving at "Swanage" - Luckily most people by this time where leaving, so got a good parking spot:
View attachment 598580
Was thinking that it 40 years since I first cycled to Swanage as a lad...
Having consumed some nice Fish & Chips + a double Ice Cream by the sea:
View attachment 598598
Had the prospect of a two hour drive home - Leaving later paid dividends, with only slow traffic past "Ringwood" but other wise a good run home.. Though always amazes Me how I get better mpg when the Cheif Navigator is on-board.....!!
View attachment 598588
BTW, is that ‘out’ ‘out’ a Mickey Flannigan out out? 🤣🤣🤣

·
1,460 Posts
My daughter is in the final year of taking her masters in film making at uni and has to shoot a short movie she's written. Yesterday she needed to go looking at some loch locations for it so I volunteered to drive her. We covered over a 100 miles with the top down and ended up choosing one less than five miles away. :D
Excellent Davie, by far the best way to do it… it’d be rude not too. 🤣

·
* Premium Member 2018 SLC43
3,709 Posts
BTW, is that ‘out’ ‘out’ a Mickey Flannigan out out? 🤣🤣🤣
Correct - Seems some people on the "Who got their top down" thread pop to the shops 5 minutes away and manage to clock up 50 miles of SLK open top driving...!!

But our trip to Dorset & the Coast on Sunday was a proper SLK day "Out, Out" (y)

·
Administrator (UK)
34,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #830 ·
@Trev5 Guilty as charged.

Making the most of what presents. Had plans to go 'proper' more than once and then life jumps in.
One day, one day.

That said, still enjoying shopping (another hidden secret of the SLK). If only I could shoe horn the in laws into the 55 for Dr and hospital appts. Did consider a 'Clampett' approach.

Works for dogs...

And when the olds were fitter they loved the SLKs.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
387 Posts

Almost 4 weeks ago I went for a weekend drive with a friend up to the lakes. On the way we went across the Butter tub Pass.
Finally got round to trying my hand at a video. Hope the link works. Done for those who have not driven it yet and those abroad who won't get chance. I not flying down it (it was a blustery showery day) but it is one of England's best driving roads.

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
2,194 Posts
Had my SLK transported to my new home state and finally arrived last night, so today, drove it to visit its new home still under construction.... sigh... another 40 days before move-in, but the SLK sorta feels at home already on the driveway of an unfinished home...
IMG_1911.jpg

·
1,460 Posts
Correct - Seems some people on the "Who got their top down" thread pop to the shops 5 minutes away and manage to clock up 50 miles of SLK open top driving...!!

But our trip to Dorset & the Coast on Sunday was a proper SLK day "Out, Out" (y)
Trev, my Mrs and I love the bloke..... an SLK Out Out day sounds perfect! 👍

·
* Registered
2005 SLK350
183 Posts
Had a steady pootle in Staffordshire. A52 A515 bought asparagus from a farm near Lichfield, back along A51 to Rugeley and the parked up a blithfield reservoir had a walk, got really good ice-cream, then pootled on home. Not the longest run or the longest day, but steady and waving to anybody in a car with roof down🤡.
Also makes you appreciate there are some good roads and views in your own county when the rain stops.😇
Enjoy the weather!

·
1,460 Posts
Had a steady pootle in Staffordshire. A52 A515 bought asparagus from a farm near Lichfield, back along A51 to Rugeley and the parked up a blithfield reservoir had a walk, got really good ice-cream, then pootled on home. Not the longest run or the longest day, but steady and waving to anybody in a car with roof down🤡.
Also makes you appreciate there are some good roads and views in your own county when the rain stops.😇
Enjoy the weather!
Sounds like a great trip out..... what did you do with the asparagus? I fry mine in garlic and butter.....

·
* Premium Member 2018 SLC43
3,709 Posts
What do You get when You cross an SLC43 with a 250d...?
Had Darren come down today for a ST install & once completed, the cars where left un-attended out front - Should We be concerned...??

From here, proceeded via "Eton" & skirted around "Windsor" to a Thames side pub in "Old Windsor" for food and beverage before carrying on to "Runnymede Meadow" Google Maps: Runnymede Cafe · Pleasure Grounds, Windsor Rd, Egham TW20 0AE, United Kingdom

This Thames side location would make a good SLK meet point for Breakfast, on a sunny day!

....though We only enjoyed an Ice Cream while checking out the relatively new "Queen Elizabeth II - Magna Carta Statue"

Before parting our ways, after a nice local run out for us & a long run out for @Oldgrey19

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
2,194 Posts
Managed 120 again before having to back off. My hair was standing up from the blow dry. I looked like Basil Brush!
Is that KPH or MPH?

Reactions: JayButterfield

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
435 Posts
I was sitting on the deck with a G&T when my Lady came out and joined me. She had been participating in a virtual conference this day and didn't appear to be all that pleased.

We sat in the very pleasant early evening, enjoying the birds and smelling the honeysuckle. As it was nearing 1900, my Lady was ready to go back in. She looked around the kitchen and didn't appear to the cheerful, happy person I had married. I knew I needed to be very careful.

We had a pork roast thawing, but my Spouse Sense told me that the pig would survive another day.

She looked her phone, scrolling, looking for something.

"Do you want to do pizza?" I asked?

She didn't look up. She scrolled some more.

"Do you want to eat out?"

"I want meat" she replied. Well, eating out it was.

"Lets take Le Bête." After 43 years of marriage, she knew how to win me over....

Beautiful day, top down. I just happen to have Phantom playing when I started the car. She starting to sing along.

Drove down to a steak place that had a smoked prime rib on Friday.

It is across the street from the Federal Prison....

We sat outside on the deck and had a great meal.
Then a pleasant drive home.

My Lady is smiling, her shoulders are down, and I can sleep knowing all is good again. :)

821 - 840 of 878 Posts