Mercedes SLK World banner

741 - 760 of 786 Posts

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #741 ·
Sun, rain, I had it all.

Went to play with inlaws soft top C70. Job a good one.
Set off in sun then on the way home watched a huge black cloud gather.
Looked like it might pass, so delayed roof deployment.
2 turns from home, as it got harder, roof deployed.
Accidently scarred the pants off the Lexus behind. I think he expected a machine gun to pop up.
Dropped way, way back.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
338 Posts
Out today with a friend to our overnight stop near Carlisle. Great drive up. He has not really driven the North Yorkshire dales so it was his first experience of the buttertub pass. Then after passing the Tan Hill pub, we moved on to the B6276 to middleton-on-teesdale. Then a left on to the B6277 to Alston..

Unfortunately the weather was very showery into continuous rain. When we did have chance to get the roof down, discovered that the securing pin has broken (see photo).
Good driving, now a very dirty car,

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
3,797 Posts
The securing pin that's broken.
i put a nut and bolt through mine about 6 years ago it still works today.
we got snow on the way home from Scotland yesterday while driving through Carter bar onto catcleugh reservoir ... looked ace and as the sun came out the rd turned to steam ! was a very strange to see but also made for a great end to a fab holls...lots of car cleaning required now
20210430_154433.jpg
20210430_154139.jpg
20210430_153506.jpg
20210430_152558.jpg
20210430_154918.jpg

·
Registered 2003 SLK32 AMG
324 Posts
Catcleugh reservoir! That brings back memories of my RAF days, frogfoot; we used the dam as a 'target' and would fly up the reservoir at 300ft and 360 knots. Then after dropping a simulated bomb, it was necessary to pitch up slightly and overbank to 120° angle of bank before pulling back down to stay inside the low level corridor. Which was quite hard work in a Vulcan!

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #749 ·
Catcleugh reservoir! That brings back memories of my RAF days, frogfoot; we used the dam as a 'target' and would fly up the reservoir at 300ft and 360 knots. Then after dropping a simulated bomb, it was necessary to pitch up slightly and overbank to 120° angle of bank before pulling back down to stay inside the low level corridor. Which was quite hard work in a Vulcan!
That reminds me. 2022 must be time for a Vulcan revisit.
2021 too up and down, but I am sure they'd appreciate some support for XM655.

·
* Registered
1999 Slk 230 r170 turbo
514 Posts
Can only ever dream of flying in a Vulcan however I was lucky enough to get inside the cockpit of the one at Newark air museum some years back, my hat goes of to anyone who flew them. Growing up in Lincolnshire near Lincoln ish or be it 15miles the Vulcan was a regular sight gracing the sky's with its overwhelming presence. ( I like Vulcans did you guess) in action fact I barely know anything about aircraft 🤣 but I do have a lot of respect for anyone that had anything to do with the Vulcan. Sorry I went off topic there 😉

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,897 Posts
I just had to get out of the house, so I drove up to the M1 through Hampstead and the Suburb. Then a quick as I could blast up to the St Albans turnoff followed by a meander through Bricket Wood and School Lane and then back home again. Feel lovely and refreshed after an hour and a half of concentrating hard. Tomorrow I might take Fi up there to pick the bluebells.

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #754 ·
Took lunch and shopping to the in laws.
Great run down, sans tin bit.

Coming back a porsche carrera3 kept trying to bait me at several sets of lights.
Didn't bother. 40 limit in a built up area.
Must have driven him nuts that I kept pulling up alongside at several sets of lights, yet would only do 40.
Much better than speeding in a built up area.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG w/P30
137 Posts
In the midst of a hectic weekend running errands, I made time for a trip to my favorite crab house along Pope's Creek in Newberg, Maryland. The Potomac River is two miles (3 km) wide here, so it is much like an inland sea. It is about a one hour drive with lots of winding, tree-lined roads.

It's got everything one needs -- great seafood, a splendid view from a covered outdoor deck, and lots of seabirds and boats to watch. There was a wonderful cool breeze from over the water.

It was a demanding week at work, but two hours of AMG time and an hour and a half relaxing over a lunch of steamed spiced shrimp and corn fritters was a complete reset. I feel great.

741 - 760 of 786 Posts