Mercedes SLK World banner

361 - 380 of 437 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,484 Posts
I had a fun pootle off to see Vincent the mechanic. (@savcom knows who I mean). He showed me his Formula 1000 thingie.

What a mad thing to do with your old Fireblade (couple of spare engines in the background).

Can’t wait to have a go; 200 BHP - 500 KGs ☺

When I read about other people’s ‘shopping trips’ - @Windinmyhair, @Avel Du or @Trev5 amongst others - you guys take in half the country in 90 mins. I on the other hand:

😂😂😂

·
Super Moderator (UK)
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
4,036 Posts
I had a fun pootle off to see Vincent the mechanic. (@savcom knows who I mean). He showed me his Formula 1000 thingie.
I'm not sure how often he gets down here these days - I've not seen him around for a while.

When I read about other people’s ‘shopping trips’ - @Windinmyhair, @Avel Du or @Trev5 amongst others - you guys take in half the country in 90 mins. I on the other hand:
Must be something to do with where you live, Richard....

Reactions: Slik hot

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,484 Posts
I'm not sure how often he gets down here these days - I've not seen him around for a while.

Must be something to do with where you live, Richard....
Um, yes Martin, I think that must be it :)

I think Vincent's sticking quite close to home ATM. Did you meet Andy (his business partner)? He may be down your way.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
793 Posts
I had a fun pootle off to see Vincent the mechanic. (@savcom knows who I mean). He showed me his Formula 1000 thingie. View attachment 592167

What a mad thing to do with your old Fireblade (couple of spare engines in the background). View attachment 592168

Can’t wait to have a go; 200 BHP - 500 KGs ☺

View attachment 592169
😂😂😂
Got a Fireblade engine in this Richard. It’s a handful at sub 200 kilos.
They’re bulletproof engines, mine will scream all day with no issues at all.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
377 Posts
Weather was in the 60sFº yesterday, so I got La Bête under the hose......

Dirty Beast......

Bathing Beast......

Transformed Beast...

I did need to take La Bête out for a test run to ensure the work was done correctly....... ;)

Top mechanism functioned perfectly..... :)

·
Super Moderator (UK)
32,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
Despite a couple of fellow Brits insisting on making it rain, by forecasting sunshine, it was sunny this a.m.

Great, I'll get out then. Only to find dark clouds building from the South. Grr!
Nipped to buy another set of Torx Allen set (maybe the odd rattle is the old set saying 'Hiya').
Better, but not yet clear skies, grr!
Went shopping and came out to S-U-N-S-H-I-N-E! YEeees!
Time do do some lane snurgling. Dropped the shopping, used the new Torx and away.

What a time to keep running into roadworks! All over the place.
Got stuck behind a second lane hogging flatbed 4x4. Pondered flashing but had a feeling with our local non tax paying camp site being busier than for the Christmas shopping, or Grand National that it would end in road rage.
Finally, he drops to slow lane and I took the blighter. Only to find a layby full of traffic cops. Lucky I chose a steady take, rather than the p'd off V8 charge then.

Into the lanes surrounding Delamere Forest. Bit wary after all the recent rain, turned out rightly so.
Fortunately no other traffic trying to turn the SLK into a pricey bath tub by swamping me.
Lots of walker, all aware of the V8 and all slowed down for. Plenty of 'thank you' waves and no victory salutes etc.
Lots of push bikes. Mixed bunch. Some good, who thanked me for being patient and wide. Some with a death wish. One came along side my driver's door (RHD) as I pulled away from lights. Who then started wobbling into the car, so I hit the brakes only for dumbo to make a LEFT TURN. A lot of drivers do not check mirrors pulling from lights and he would have ended under, or over the bonnet! Lucky for him that I am a biker and aware two wheels can pootle past when you pull from a standstill.

Then 4 of the blighters came zooming out of a single track side road into a mian country lane with zero intention of stopping. Testimony to the 55's six pot fronts that I stopped without turning it into a full on emergency stop. (I'd glimpsed a head of one of them through the hedgerow a moment earlier and was prepared.
Watching the lead rider do a reverse wheelie on his front wheel raised a smile. As did the rest of the bunch shouting about the self pleasuring aspect of a topless drive. A whole 5 seconds of testing the horn was the reply.

Traffic cops were in season it seems. They were oozing from every orifice. No hiding in the side roads.
Made no difference (other than a few smiles for the boys in blue), an absolute pleasure drive.
Nice to just be out for myself for a change and not ferrying shopping, or running folks to medical appointment.

Yes, an SLK brings joy if out for a blast. But it also brings fun if just bimbling the lanes.

I is happy, happy.

Now to find out what the lads are forecasting tomorrow. Better than the Met Office they are!

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,951 Posts
So, sun was out and I had an hour or so free [first time the two have coincided since Christmas without snow, salt or flooding on the roads]
Thought I had better perform a public service by doing a welfare check on the Cotswolds.

I'm sure members will be relieved to hear that both the Cotes and the Wolds are in harmony, Stow is still on the wold, Moreton is still in the marsh, the space for chipping in Norton is still there [look it up],
one of the Bourtons is happily still on the water whilst the other remains on the hill.
Oh, and there is an abundance of snowdrops spread around with some daffodils also starting to bloom 😎

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
288 Posts
As promised it was dry and a heady 8.5C when I left Newquay this morning, 500 yards later I'm in road works and crawling, not exactly what I was expecting. Sometime later I'd cleared the hold up and was heading for the A30. The roads were greasy this morning, the new tyres did a good job though no traction control light going bonkers like the last trip out.

Left work at 18:00 and the sun was still out so strangely the 18 mile trip home lasted for 30 miles! Lovely spin up the coast through Porthtowan, St.Agnes, Perranporth and back to Newquay.

Parked the car back in the garage, thanked her for a fun trip and headed in; as I passed my L200 truck I whispered "I'll take you tomorrow girl" but I was lying.....the SLK keys are on the sideboard, not in the drawer, that can only mean one thing.....she's coming to work again tomorrow😍

·
* Registered
2005 slk 280 6 mt
890 Posts
After reading various OP (y) I decided to go check on one of my classics (and no it wasn't a poodle!)just after 6pm,darkness was just setting in.
I was not going to be deterred though,so top down ..heated seats on full..heater cranked to max ..Nice and toasty off I drove into the night..ah bliss!
Great for relieving tension!!

·
Super Moderator (UK)
32,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #378
After reading various OP (y) I decided to go check on one of my classics (and no it wasn't a poodle!)just after 6pm,darkness was just setting in.
I was not going to be deterred though,so top down ..heated seats on full..heater cranked to max ..Nice and toasty off I drove into the night..ah bliss!
Great for relieving tension!!
We are generous on SLKWorld.

We share that hidden secret of SLK/SLCs.
The roof down, night drive.

Clear night tonight too! Perfect.

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
1,993 Posts
It is a day like this on the forum that reminds us why we drive convertibles... reminds me, its going dark in a few so time to plan a moonlit night "stroll" top down, of course.

BRB

361 - 380 of 437 Posts