Mercedes SLK World banner

321 - 340 of 437 Posts

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
74 Posts
Yup, top-down today. Took the dog out first thing and it was freezing, thick frost everywhere including the car and as I had to go to the shop (no milk so no coffee!) I spent ages de-icing the old girl. Even with the roof solidly up it was still heater and air scarf, hat gloves scarf and jacket.

By 12:00 it was a properly sunny day! Warm and so bright it was like summer! So as the demon mutts still need to go out (and poor old Phoebe who is a 14-year-old black Lab who can barely walk anymore so lays in hedges and demands the ball be thrown to her while destroying everything in sight) and so that Phoebe can be annoying while Chester (the fat Basset) wanders around being an idiot, I have to take them to the park.

So It was roof off, heaters on, both seat heaters and air scarves on (so Chester gets a warm bum!) and off we went. It was lovely to be honest and it was quickly apparent that seat and air scarf were not needed to be heated so just kept the heater on for Phoebe in the footwell (she likes the footwell, she can't fall while she's in there) and with Fatso on the passenger seat, it all works out like it was planned (it was... special water-proof cover on the passenger side as well to protect from mutts).

Chester loves convertible cars. He sits with his head on the top of the door and watches the world go by at 30 mph and he is really good at leaning into corners as well. I consider it my social duty as people smile to see a fat bored-looking Basset looking at them as they walk by.

·
* Registered
2005 slk 280 6 mt
890 Posts
Same as above but without mutts 😀great day for it..sun blazing today on the southcoast, had a couple of cars in the boot ..bmw and a vw ..usually I would exercise my right tootsies but today was such a glorious day I thought sod it they can admire my boot..music pumping ..sun blazing..roof down doesn't get much better than this...oh happy days!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,484 Posts
So, not yesterday:

But today, yes! We went out to charge the battery - it was at 11.4 and was the first time I’ve had a hesitant start. By the time I’d gotten to the St Albans turn off on the M1 I was getting a steady 13.8 from the volt meter and when I got back and turned the engine off 12.6. My 40 minute, 40 mile trip seemed to have helped. I’m going to have to move the car 100 meters down the street where it’ll get 8 hours of sun shining on the solar panel; at the moment, in the canyon between the buildings it never sees it directly.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
288 Posts
Took the car for its gearbox service today, -4C when I set off this morning and for the first time since buying it I didn't even think about putting the roof down. It was warm, quiet and amazingly civilised, a total quality place to sit as always. Picked it up at 17:00 and as the sun was still out and it was by then a balmy 3C I knocked the roof back for the journey home much to the amazement of the mechanic who just shook his head and turned away with that look of "nutter" on his face :ROFLMAO:. Great 30 minute drive home, wind in the face and lots of fresh air, car sounded great and I am assured that there is no more leak from the gearbox to worry about. Successful trip :)

·
Premium member 2018 SLC43
709 Posts
75 (count 'em) degrees and clear in Dallas today, couldn't resist a top-down boulevard blast. 30 mph crosswind though. Everybody and his brother was also out today, couldn't get up much speed. 70s forecast for midweek, but 50s tomorrow (that's "cold" here), so I went for it.

·
Super Moderator (UK)
32,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
A blissful 8C, sun shining (was raining earlier but, hey, we live between Lakes, Pennines & North Wales).

Only a short trip, but no roof, stereo, nor heater (after start up).
Very happy bunny.

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
16,993 Posts
Just love seeing all the pics of our members cars. Reminds me how great they look!

·
* Registered
2015, SLK250 cdi AMG Line ‘Albert’
108 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
288 Posts
Took mine to work this morning, lovely sunny start to the day here too. This is at the entrance to our site; Wheal Jane used to be a tin mine originally and the wheel next to the car was part of the old winding gear for the mine. Great to get the roof down and take in some fresh air.

·
* Registered
2005 slk 280 6 mt
890 Posts
Great views from up there, nice road for a blast in the roadster👌
Its was very clear viewing today, like you say nice road for a blast,I saw one other merc today with there top down(clk)..but plenty with there tops up🙄,thought it best to make the most of it today due to this bad weather forecast from Monday .

·
Super Moderator (UK)
32,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
Me, me, me.

Having to visit the in laws daily this week. Shopping and injection run today.
Jobs sorted....
Top in boot, pull away & sky went black, followed by powder snow.
No worries, we can handle that. Run onto motorway and proper flakes now.
Option 1. Pull up on hard shoulder (no chance, this is a bad stretch).
Option 2. Drop windows about half an inch (this causes less water run off into cabin).
Option 3. Wait for next junction.

Well, I was hitting 3. anyway to hit the lanes, so option 2.
Oh, the looks! So much worse 'cos I was grinning like a Cheshire cat.
Exit M'way and into lanes. Snow goes back to powder. Then S-U-N! Yay!
Still got the nutter looks, but maybe that was folks who know me as well as the
'has no right to be sans roof in winter' brigade (probably both).

Always makes me laugh at just how much winter driving can be a cheer up.

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
16,993 Posts
Don't need to qualify it Myk ("winter")--> winter driving cheers me up 😁

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
288 Posts
Me, me, me.

Having to visit the in laws daily this week. Shopping and injection run today.
Jobs sorted....
Top in boot, pull away & sky went black, followed by powder snow.
No worries, we can handle that. Run onto motorway and proper flakes now.
Option 1. Pull up on hard shoulder (no chance, this is a bad stretch).
Option 2. Drop windows about half an inch (this causes less water run off into cabin).
Option 3. Wait for next junction.

Well, I was hitting 3. anyway to hit the lanes, so option 2.
Oh, the looks! So much worse 'cos I was grinning like a Cheshire cat.
Exit M'way and into lanes. Snow goes back to powder. Then S-U-N! Yay!
Still got the nutter looks, but maybe that was folks who know me as well as the
'has no right to be sans roof in winter' brigade (probably both).

Always makes me laugh at just how much winter driving can be a cheer up.
Me too! Stopped at a junction this morning, powdery snow gently falling into the car and surrounding drivers looking at me like I'm mad😜. To be fair I suppose it is strange behaviour to people who don't drive convertibles!

321 - 340 of 437 Posts