Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering really, who actually uses the tiptronic ? I would like to use it but it just don't seem right dropping down a gear without a clutch pedal I feel like i'm going to reck the gear box. The only time I use it is from stand still and thats just to feal that 0-60 or 80 lol :flag:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks Woolly, I didn't know it was called that, the MB dealership referred to it as tip-tronic when I test drove.

The only time i regularly use it is to input some engine braking say on a downhill section where I need to slow down a touch before a bend, then the odd time when I'm messing about accelerating...

It seems nice to have but not used in everyday situations

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I was wondering, if I am manually shifting my automatic transmission which does not have a manual mode, will I cause premature wear?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
When I had a 170 I was using cruise control and on a steep down hill the car shifted down on it's own to keep the speed that the cruise control was set. Did not expect it and almost s--- in my pants, thinking something happen to the car.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I ask because the only difference I could find between the auto without a manual mode and the AMG with a manual mode is that the AMG version uses a wet clutch and the other a lock-up fluid converter. As far as I have been able to ascertain, otherwise the gearbox is identical. If the AMG version is designed for full-time manual capabilities, the only difference should be the speed of the shifts. (I think). If there are any transmission experts on here, your input would be greatly appreciated. (Cough, cough - Sgt. & Sheepman)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you to all of you for you'r input it's appreciated, I thought I might be missing out on something, as a few people say whats the tip-tronic/Touch-shift like and when I say I never use it they have a blank look upon their face.

Cheers Woolly I never new it was called that either Touch-shift either R)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ditto what others have said on this post. I tend to use mine mostly on inclines for the engine breaking and again on twisty B roads purely for fun element. I've also used it when overtaking, although of course kick-down would have had the same effect.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I usually switch over to manual shifting when in slow highway traffic crawl, just to hold it longer in 2nd gear, and minimize alot of up-shifting that the auto mode wants to do. Also, gives me a chance to shift up thru the gears when the traffic opens up!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Thanks Woolly, I didn't know it was called that, the MB dealership referred to it as tip-tronic when I test drove.
Cheers Woolly I never new it was called that either Touch-shift either R)
It's one of these trade names like Biro or Hoover - Tiptronic has dropped into 'common usage' as a manually selectable auto box. In reality,Tiptronic is a registered trademark, owned by Porsche, who license it for use by other manufacturers, such as Land Rover and the Volkswagen Group (Audi, SEAT, Škoda, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche and Volkswagen) but not Mercedes.

Life is much easier (and more fun ) when you have a proper gearbox :D :D

·
Air Suspension Manager
631 Posts
I do. :)
On sport mode shifting is quite fast, so I don't need it.
But with cruise mode, shifting down takes more time than the sports mode, shifting down with paddles make it faster.
My A4 has a CVT transmission which I really fall in love with.
I wish my SLK had an option for CVT transmission as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
As a contrary view, I haven't ever driven an automatic like a manual. If I wanted a manual, I'd buy a manual. On my SLK I wanted an automatic and that's what I got.

They each have their own place and I love them both. Things like a line-loc burn out just cannot be reproduced by a paddle shifted automatic :)

Not saying they are a bad idea, just not my cup of tea - to each their own.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just wondering really, who actually uses the tiptronic ? I would like to use it but it just don't seem right dropping down a gear without a clutch pedal I feel like i'm going to reck the gear box. The only time I use it is from stand still and thats just to feal that 0-60 or 80 lol :flag:
I use mine regularly, mainly for engine braking down hill, also for 0-60 type starts as you mention above (if you also switch off Stability, 0-60 is slightly faster).
I also use it through the twisty bits and for overtaking, as it is much more useful and faster than kick down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll just use it when getting on the highway to hold the low gear so I can get to speed and merge properly instead doing like every yokel and waiting for the end of the onramp to merge way under speed and then flip everyone off that has to scramble out of the way...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts