Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
* Registered
2007 SLK 55 AMG
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 slk 55 amg just got delivered today from a dealership in AZ. The transmission was replaced as part of the deal, and I waited a little over 2 months for it to be shipped here to the Midwest.
As soon as it came off the truck, I washed it and went out for a spin. It shifts smoothly, I’m happy with the body/ paint condition, and the engine purrs like an amg should. However, I noticed a large cloud of white smoke come out of the exhaust when I really pushed into the accelerator. I thought it may be coolant (bad news), but it doesn’t smell like burnt antifreeze, and the engine sounds fine.

it happened once while getting onto the interstate (40-70mph run) and again two more times when accelerating from 60- 80+
The smoke is temporary, just when I really mash down on the pedal but not every time. It also smoked a single white cloud once time on startup after sitting for an hour.
Could it be burning transmission fluid, or would that be something common after having a new tranny installed?
I plan on having it checked out this week, but I want to pick your brains and maybe have an idea of what to expect when I take it in.

·
Registered 2004 SLK350
444 Posts
White smoke usually coolant getting into the engine somewhere or something is cracked.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,400 Posts
Check the oil filler cap for gunge. If it's toffee color you have water in oil. It 'could' be over fuelling on kickdown which is usually grey smoke. Blue smoke is oil. If it's over fuelling it could be Lambda sensors. Did they reconnect them ok after tranny change?

·
* Registered
2007 SLK 55 AMG
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so the shop called me back today. After checking it out, they’re saying the valve guide seals need replaced. $2k job. I’m going to call the dealership to tell them the bad news and decide whether to pay for the repairs or send a truck to come pick it up.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
104,505 Posts
For the members:

Valve guide seals are also known as valve seals, valve stem seals, or valve stem oil seals. They work to keep the valve cover lubrication oil out of the combustion chamber, to lubricate the valve, and to align the valve correctly. ... Each combustion chamber cylinder has at least one intake and exhaust valve

·
104,505 Posts
The good news is the cost of the parts for valve guide seals is between $30 to $100 on average.

·
104,505 Posts
The bad news is that you are looking at about 2 to 4 hours of labor if you take your vehicle to a mechanic. It takes quite a bit of work and time to get that deep into the engine.

Since the average mechanic will charge about $60 to $100 per hour, you are looking at about $120 to $400 just for the labor costs. Therefore, the total average price you can expect to pay is between $150 and $500.

·
104,505 Posts
Time for another price quote?

·
* Registered
2007 SLK 55 AMG
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doesn't sound right to me. Any smoke after next day start-up? What's the mileage. I may be wrong but this isn't a common issue to M113s to my knowledge.
No smoke on startup today. I drove it hard for a couple hours and no smoke. I’ll have to see what happens tomorrow.
I’m sure the car sat for at least the last two months without being driven.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,400 Posts
I'm sure it's a fuelling thing and not necessarily a big problem. Oil smoke is definitely blue and smells. I would suggest a good service including air filters and plugs if that hasn't been done already. In fact an examination of the plugs would be a good Idea anyway. I assume there are no overheating issues.

I guess we all have different opinions on what is normal but maybe what you see is normal? Sometimes I get a light puff of smoke on cold start-up but she doesn't burn oil. How many times have we followed a high powered car on a fast road and seen it kick down with a puff of smoke! Fingers crossed for you. Potentially you got a great car!

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,373 Posts
Looks hopeful.
Perhaps old fuel after standing before delivery.

Here's hoping you're sorted.

I'll mark 'resolved' for now, but if it comes back just post here and I will remove the prefix.
That way folks will see your staring point and not repeat the above posts.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,736 Posts
Looks hopeful.
Perhaps old fuel after standing before delivery.

Here's hoping you're sorted.

I'll mark 'resolved' for now, but if it comes back just post here and I will remove the prefix.
That way folks will see your staring point and not repeat the above posts.
🤞

1 - 18 of 18 Posts