Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK200
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As every R170 owner knows the paint on our R170 is not of the greatest quality to say the least. I am currently fixing scratches and rust points.

Anyway I wanted to give the car a good cleanup and apply a film of wax to protect as much as possible the paint. As the paint is fragile I guess I have to be careful and not apply the first product found at KMart.

I was wondering if someone as any tip on a good product? I was thinking about Swisswax. I already used their products to renew the leather steering wheel with great success.

http://www.swissvax.co.uk/view_products/cleaning_products

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
123 Posts
wax

As every R170 owner knows the paint on our R170 is not of the greatest quality to say the least. I am currently fixing scratches and rust points.

Anyway I wanted to give the car a good cleanup and apply a film of wax to protect as much as possible the paint. As the paint is fragile I guess I have to be careful and not apply the first product found at KMart.

I was wondering if someone as any tip on a good product? I was thinking about Swisswax. I already used their products to renew the leather steering wheel with great success.

http://www.swissvax.co.uk/view_products/cleaning_products
in my opinion; I would not use any wax, I would use good polish, the reason I say this, I worked in a professional body shop for 12 years, this cars come with base coat clear coat paint which is urethane base, which is far durable than any wax, because our cars are exposed to road tar and different residues a good polish will remove all that without hurting the paint, where as the wax might clean some but will trap everything that did not come out then if you try to repair any of the panels the paint will not mach

·
Registered
60 Posts
Polish

All so far mentioned are good and there are so many good brands out there. I polish the 170 weekly as once you have applied a couple of coats it takes 30 minutes and ours has a deep shine now. I do not think you can put enough wax on ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
clay bar then Meguiars Nxt Generation 2.0 liquid wax. I do have some touch up work that needs to be done then will work through wet sand and 3m system with a buffer after.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
3,726 Posts
Need for speed

Not the most expensive for sale but i have found need for speed to be a great cleaner and wax in one.

I put zymol concours on the car at the start and end of the year then use need for speed all year round.

a bottle from monza car care is £20

a pic of my 12 year old ford focus bonnet for you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320 Wizard of ID
589 Posts
Not the most expensive for sale but i have found need for speed to be a great cleaner and wax in one.

I put zymol concours on the car at the start and end of the year then use need for speed all year round.

a bottle from monza car care is £20

a pic of my 12 year old ford focus bonnet for you.

LOL!!! I thought you had some sort of "custom" hood scoop!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.