Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I'm new here and am thinking of getting an SLK, I test drove the 280 and loved it but am thinking I'll go for the 350 as I know if I get the 280 one day someone will pull up next to me with the 350 and I'll regret it lol.

I'm planning on getting one from auction as my local auction center is the clearing auction for mercs so they regularly have 10-15 SLKs that are 3 years old and decent mileage. Does anyone have any recomendations for things to look out for and what extras are worth having?

Also, I test drove the auto and put it in manual mode to use the paddles but they didn't seem that responsive and it still seemed to change on it's own at times, is that normal or did I drive a dodgy one?

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
If I were buying used now, I would consider the SLK55 AMG. They are nearly the same price as the SLK350.

I would get one with at least Airscarf, xenons, and COMAND. Also if you need bluetooth, then you need to make sure that the car is prewired, otherwise it will be too expensive to add on later.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were buying used now, I would consider the SLK55 AMG. They are nearly the same price as the SLK350.

I would get one with at least Airscarf, xenons, and COMAND. Also if you need bluetooth, then you need to make sure that the car is prewired, otherwise it will be too expensive to add on later.

So what is COMAND like, i've heard good and bad things, does anyone know of a youtube video that shows it in action or anything like that?

Speaking of adding on later, is it possible to add on the remote roof and if so does anybody have any idea of the cost involved?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Definitely get one with the airscarf. As for the 7G, I'd still only get one with the manual transmission, even if that means I can only get a 280. Manual shifting is easily worth half of the fun for me with this car and I wouldn't want to miss it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree with *Tummy, Get a 55.
The 55 has many standard features, That are optional on the two others.
At the auction, You can expect at least 20% off the retail.
BTW let us know where you are from.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As much as i'd like the 55 I think I'd be over stretching it a bit, probably being a bit silly getting the 350 but what the hell, you only live once!

I think I've just had a sign, this morning on the way to work the engine management light has started flashing in the old Ford Puma, car feels underpowered and spluttery so I think it's time for a change before it goes completely!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
As much as i'd like the 55 I think I'd be over stretching it a bit, probably being a bit silly getting the 350 but what the hell, you only live once!

I think I've just had a sign, this morning on the way to work the engine management light has started flashing in the old Ford Puma, car feels underpowered and spluttery so I think it's time for a change before it goes completely!
Hey Lamb - I know the feeling, I went back and forth on the 350 vs 55, and that was back when the price delta was a lot bigger than it is today.

I ended up with the 350, and don't regret it at all. My current plan is to add a SL55 to the mix next year - assuming the economy recovers a bit. The only complaints the wife and I have about the '350 come on really longish (for the US - 500 miles or more) road trips.

I know I made the right decision for us, the '350 is right on the edge of daily driver / road trip ride quality. The 350 sport suspension or the '55 would have pushed it over the edge in the wrong way. I guess in the perfect world (and I may still do it at some point in time) would have an SL for longer trips, and an SLK55 for short but fun running around. I guess I'm getting old!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.