Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings SLC chums,
The SLC had the new 9 speed auto gearbox, (goodness me, how do they fit 9 gears in!), this has a range of programs from Sport, Sport +, Comfort, Individual and Eco. Eco is pretty grim so I tend to use Comfort normally and Sport for a blast. (Sport + is just Sport with the irritating stop start disabled). Have to confess the auto gearbox is a dream to use, absolutely love it. Does anyone use the individual mode? In the paper manual it says 'consult the digital owners manual' anyone bothered to do that?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,275 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,171 Posts
Greetings SLC chums,
The SLC had the new 9 speed auto gearbox, (goodness me, how do they fit 9 gears in!), this has a range of programs from Sport, Sport +, Comfort, Individual and Eco. Eco is pretty grim so I tend to use Comfort normally and Sport for a blast. (Sport + is just Sport with the irritating stop start disabled). Have to confess the auto gearbox is a dream to use, absolutely love it. Does anyone use the individual mode? In the paper manual it says 'consult the digital owners manual' anyone bothered to do that?
I do - but I change modes to suit where & how I'm driving. On the highway it is usually C mode. Around the country roads where I live, S or S+. I keep tinkering with the I mode so cannot recall my last settings. S and S+ are more different that just stop/start. Also I think you have a button to disable stop / start in all the modes that use it!

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,559 Posts
Greetings SLC chums,
There is a Reverse Gear also, so Ten in all :grin:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,184 Posts
I do - but I change modes to suit where & how I'm driving. On the highway it is usually C mode. Around the country roads where I live, S or S+. I keep tinkering with the I mode so cannot recall my last settings. S and S+ are more different that just stop/start. Also I think you have a button to disable stop / start in all the modes that use it!
Seen posts before that you can disable stop/start.
But has to be done every time that you turn the ignition key.
Thanks to this thread I've learnt that sports+ disables too.

This might be an option for some of those who do not like that feature.

Cheers chaps :tu:

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,171 Posts
Seen posts before that you can disable stop/start.
But has to be done every time that you turn the ignition key.
Thanks to this thread I've learnt that sports+ disables too.

This might be an option for some of those who do not like that feature.

Cheers chaps :tu:
Yes - only Sport+ turns Eco off. If you turn the ignition off, the car stays in last selected mode for 4 hours. I personally hate ECO, when using C on the highway, it does not impact me and when in S, I usually turn it off.....I'm always changing modes depending on what sort of road I am on. I also have CV mode (curve tilt) besides the tilting, it uses "glide mode" which seems to be some sort of freewheel mode :confused::confused: but does not happen in C. Not sure if it improves consumption or not. I assume if it does, it is pennies.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,559 Posts
171 is not as quick on the paddles as the 172.
I generally drive in comfort mode and if I want to overtake or drive with a bit of zest I use the paddles. When the overtake etc is finished I just hold the up paddle until it returns to Auto and back to comfort, easy peasy lemon squeezy. :laugh:

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,171 Posts
171 is not as quick on the paddles as the 172.
I generally drive in comfort mode and if I want to overtake or drive with a bit of zest I use the paddles. When the overtake etc is finished I just hold the up paddle until it returns to Auto and back to comfort, easy peasy lemon squeezy. :laugh:
Like you, I use the paddles in A/M.

THAT SAID, MB have done a good job with the new 9 speed - it is a huge improvement on the 7 speed of the 172 - (hence my protracted argument in favour of auto in another thread on auto vs manual) the step backward IMO (in my car, not sure on the SLC) is they have removed the ability to shift on the stick as well as paddles. It is not the end of the world as I've yet to find a situation where I couldn't use a paddle when needed and to be honest, have never pressed the M button in the car.

As it is a nice day - i think I shall go and test the M button today.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can confirm that the ability to shift by moving the gear stick sideways is not on the SLC either.
Maybe just not a feature of the 9 speed box.
I confess I am not using the paddles as much as I thought, especially for overtaking as the kick-down in Sport works a treat.
Also if I am in comfort mode then a single press of the drive program button sends it into Sport.
It's one of the great features of the auto box that it can accommodate a range of driving styles.

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,171 Posts
I can confirm that the ability to shift by moving the gear stick sideways is not on the SLC either.
Maybe just not a feature of the 9 speed box.
I confess I am not using the paddles as much as I thought, especially for overtaking as the kick-down in Sport works a treat.
Also if I am in comfort mode then a single press of the drive program button sends it into Sport.
It's one of the great features of the auto box that it can accommodate a range of driving styles.
Have to agree the 9 speed is a pleasure to use...

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All,
Just two snaps of the SLC showing
1. The drive programs available.
2. The manual off button for the stop/start marked 'A'.
Cheers, David

Attachments

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
It's not really a shift lever anymore though, is it? It's a switch for Forward, Neutral, Reverse and Park. I'm surprised they left it in the centre console. Probably they only did that because then they could reuse the old SLK centre console!

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,171 Posts
exactly - just like the indicator stalk sized, gear select lever on the steering column of my wife's B class. When I drive , I still find my hand going to the centre for the gear lever and sometimes still reach for the parking brake lever.....:|

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m using Sport+ around town in Manual mode, using the paddle shifters. The Sport+ also provides for a very exhilarating exhaust note. On long drives on freeways I’m in comfort mode for better gas mileage.

I’m impressed with the LED headlights and the cornering feature where the headlight will illuminate brighter in the direction of the turn, as well as the high beam assist. Very cool features.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.