Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never changed my oil and always took it to the shop which used Mobil 1 5W-30. Been reading online that people suggest using 0W-40. And I've talked to friends who stated that my car is older and should get 10W-30.

I recently found out about the MityVac and plan to do changes myself now and need to know which oil to buy.

Also, how often do you change your oil? I've been doing it every 5000 miles as recommended.

Also, I'm in Southern California so it's pretty warm here in case that has something to do with the oil type. Thanks!

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,240 Posts

·
103,240 Posts

·
103,240 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I've read that last link but I still couldn't decide. Some people are saying that my car is older so I should do 10W-30 and that it's thicker and less leak than the 0W-40. All this is new to me so I'm pretty clueless at the moment. My default is just getting the 5W-30 which was what the mechanics was using, but if there is a better oil for my car, I would rather get that one.

·
103,240 Posts
the member experts will chime in when they sober up. Check your thread in a few hours for more opinions

in the meantime, get your free datacard to keep you busy :D

·
Registered 2006 SLK350 sold/now 2018 SL400
324 Posts
If it's not using oil stick with a 5w-30 oil. Just make sure it meets whe correct MB Spec. IIRC MB229.3 should be fine.

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.