Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I got a cool new shifter for my 6 speed SLK320. And the gear map lights up! But I’m not sure which wire to tap into for power. Im thinking brown or grey/blue from one of the window switches? The wires from the shifter are red (hot) and brown (ground). Is the brown from the window switch ground too? And therefore the grey/blue is hot? See attached pics. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,621 Posts
Hi,

There is, under the Centre Console / Gearstick area Trim, (bit with electric window switches in it), an insulated terminal post with Grey / Blues all connected via eyelet terminal, supplies the switch panel illum, radio etc etc, I'd take the Illum +ve from that, rather than splicing into wiring :wink:

On the Car ..............

Grey / Blue = +ve

Brown = -ve (earth / ground)

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
2,621 Posts
Hi,

Oh, BTW I should have mentioned that there is also a similar Earthing post in the same area which has a bunch of Browns all on eyelets, really makes this sort of thing very easy :wink:

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered 1997 SLK230 Kompressor
281 Posts
Is there but any chance a 12v live at all times source anywhere near there? I'm looking to fit a front camera with parking mode.

·
2,621 Posts
Hi @Rofa ,

Not that I know of, and I had almost the entire Dash plus Consoles and Carpets out of mine when I fitted the Android.

I would personally not splice into the Stereo B+ , for that sort of thing I would use an empty Fuse slot in the Front Fuse Box, the correct way to do the job ..............
Connectors to fix in the Fuse Box empty slots can be bought for pennies from MB.

Surely for a "Dash Cam" you would want an "Acc" Position Switched Supply, or does your Camera need both ??

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,807 Posts
Surely for a "Dash Cam" you would want an "Acc" Position Switched Supply, or does your Camera need both ??
These new 'parking mode' cams are activated via vicinity, all clever stuff, was looking at one on a VW just last week :tu:

The interior fan has a permanent 12v but it's not really the 'correct' way to go, would probs do the job tho :rolleyes:

·
Registered 1997 SLK230 Kompressor
281 Posts
Thanks Dave. Cams with parking usually have to be wired in permanently, especially if they use capacitors rather than batteries. But thanks anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great advice, thanks! Got it all done and back together (including vacuuming out all the gross cigarette ashes...), but I have two new little snags. 1. Now there is a red "steering wheel/airbag" light not he dash. I noticed an airbags control unit in there. Did I knock a wire out? 2. I can't get one of the metals keys out of the slot in the stereo. I'm not even sure how I got the first one out. Thoughts?! Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts