Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone mentioned they are expensive, but I starting shopping on line, and they don't seem to be, so I wondering if I'm looking at the correct ones. Thanks.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,246 Posts
from my mb service rep:

Spark Plugs 16 total $950 (break down is $500 parts, $450 labor) Spark plugs are $31 each

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Jeff. That's what I meant. I'm looking at a site called partsgeek.com, and they have 16 different plugs for my car...from $2.60 for Champions and Densos, to $11.10 for one of the NGK's (for which the retail price is claimed to be $29.06 BTW). I'm curious which plugs others have used, and what the results have been.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I recently got my spark plugs changed by the dealer (same master technician) at 60K miles. Spark plugs from owner's manual: NGK IFR6D10.

From the MB invoice, the spark plug part no. is: 003-159-97-03, I haven't researched this but it may MB part no. for the NGK spark plugs. They charged $25.73 each.

Labor cost was 2.80 units, $406.00

The car performs the same as before.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looking on-line, it appears you could get those same plugs for around $10 each ( $160 total) and the listing echos back the MB part number.

do it yourself and save 75% or more of the cost....

The video
makes it looks possible, much easier than my M3. Have to think about it...

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Plenty of threads on here talking about Spark Plug replacements. From what I have read the '55 is a lot harder than the others. IIRC there are just a few of the 16 that you will have to replace that cause the problem. I believe the problem is mostly getting access to the plugs. I agree with Eddy - I would let the owner's manual be my guide as to what plugs to buy.

I did my '280 and it was a breeze - only six and it was all right in front of me. The only part that was unclear to me was the difference between the resistor (On eBay) and non-resistor plugs (@ dealer and in my car). I never could decide whether or not it mattered, and so for $100 I just bought them at the dealer and put them in myself.

Best Wishes,

·
Registered
21 Posts
I replaced the plugs in my 2004 SLK 32 AMG myself. Got the exact 12 plugs from E-Bay for under $100 on sale. Took me 2 warm afternoons, one side each day, took my time and did a lot of reading up on replacing them before I ever did the job. I also replaced the 2 air filters as the top cover was off too. I needed a few extra tools I didn't have. A long articulating 3/8 drive socket wrench with a tee handle. A long spark plug boot puller. proper socket for the plugs, some anti sieve and plug electrode compound. Took my time and did not over torque. Used a torque wrench for the final pull. Runs like a top. I bought this car because I enjoy and appreciate the craftsmanship and power of this German racing machine. I do any and all work I can do myself as a hobby. The local mechanic I use for things I can't do wanted $500 for the whole plug job, 12 plugs. I think almost $1000 is just ridiculous.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,246 Posts
I replaced the plugs in my 2004 SLK 32 AMG myself. Got the exact 12 plugs from E-Bay for under $100 on sale. Took me 2 warm afternoons, one side each day, took my time and did a lot of reading up on replacing them before I ever did the job. I also replaced the 2 air filters as the top cover was off too. I needed a few extra tools I didn't have. A long articulating 3/8 drive socket wrench with a tee handle. A long spark plug boot puller. proper socket for the plugs, some anti sieve and plug electrode compound. Took my time and did not over torque. Used a torque wrench for the final pull. Runs like a top. I bought this car because I enjoy and appreciate the craftsmanship and power of this German racing machine. I do any and all work I can do myself as a hobby. The local mechanic I use for things I can't do wanted $500 for the whole plug job, 12 plugs. I think almost $1000 is just ridiculous.
Steve....please....you are not listening...

this thread is 8 years old

got something to say? Start a new thread

This thread is closed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.