Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 75-year-old mother is selling her house. She can live anywhere in the country. She will have about $400K to spend on a new house-cash. She might be buying a second house as well for $150k. She wants it where there are doctors. And some limited snow. She is tired of the big city. Any suggestions?

·
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She lives four minutes from me. One of the reason she maybe buying another house is because I might move there with her. I do not care for Florida very much. The heat and the hurricanes are unbearable.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,476 Posts
send her sinuses to Arizona!!

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
California's bay area is a great place with plenty of good hospitals, not to mention Stanford, UCSF where you will find some of the best physicians in the world. But I'm afraid $400k will not get you anywhere here, that is unless you want to live somewhere that needs bars on the windows, security doors and barbwire on your fences (and I'm not talking jails). Maybe in the valley like Sacramento. Mild climate (comparably speaking), big enough to fill all the necessary needs and about 2 hours drive from the Bay Area.

I'm thinking North Carolina. Seems like a pleasant place with decent housing prices. Texas also seems to offer good quality of life but then you have to deal with THEIR weather, hot and muggy in the summer.

·
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
400,000 usually will buy a nice house in most parts of the country. We already live in the hot muggy humid part of the world. Florida. We don't want to place that's got snow to have her snowed in. Rural is okay, assuming there is doctors for medical care within about a half hour drive. She currently has no medical condition, but we are planning for the future. Obviously nice scenery is desired. I don't know, Kentucky?

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
In order to avoid humidity you're going to have to go west
In order to avoid high real estate costs, you would have to find a half way point between south and north

I would have recommended Tyler Texas, but you said you can't stand the humidity any longer. She would be able to purchase two homes with money to spare in a great community. There is no snow though.

California is really the only place I know of that you can get all 4 seasons but the real estate cost, and cost of living is ridiculous. What about Arizona? or Colorado?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
While I'm partial to SoCal, I agree housing is outta sight unless you look around closely and come to grips with where it is you want to live vs the price that requires... Ramona or some locale like that isn't a bad consideration, I agree. Its all about if you like that more rural atmosphere or not.

Another thought... I have a couple of friends and several former employees over the years that retired just outside of Las Vegas. No State Taxes, decent housing prices, good doctors and infrastructure, lots of entertainment options when you want it, and easy to get from there to just about anywhere. Its not all Las Vegas Strip crazyness when you get a few miles away from that. It is a bit too dry for me and too far away from the ocean (although you've got a massive lake nearby), but having lived in Sottsdale AZ for a couple of years too -- as they say, it's just a dry heat. ;). Really, it's not as bad as say Florida in the middle of summer... People used to play tennis outside when it was 115... Not me, but some did! Vegas, though, may be a consideration for you and your mom.

Reactions: slk320chick

·
Hopeless *** owner
102 Posts
My ole Ma moved to Kingman Arizona and loves it! Nice in the winter, low elevation, good medical, many elderly, reasonable real estate prices, and only 2 hours from Las Vegas.

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,794 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know a number of people that have moved down here to Florida then after a time went "half back" and looked in the Carolina's, South Georgia, someplace with 3 seasons. I really wouldn't mind Gainesville, Fl. It's Northern Florida, inland 3 seasons (no snow plows) has real trees and a college town with things to do for all ages.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Any feedback on the Carolinas?
I have been to North Carolina twice, Charlotte and the surrounding suburbs to be exact. It's very dry/dusty and it gets just as hot as fl. Just gorgeous scenery. But that is a mere speck of the state. I'm sure others could chime in.
The orange clay made it hard to breath for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
you asked about feedback from the carolina's. I have lived in NC since 1978 (anyone else remember the blizzard of '78 - got us out of MI once and for all....). I have been in the raleigh area since 1981. Great access to medical care (Duke and UNC medical centers). Good access to cultural activities. Strong influence from the local universities (Duke, UNC and NCSU and several smaller schools) Located 1/2 way between the mountains and the coast (2 hours drive either way). $400k will go a long way for housing. You will still have to deal with an occasional hurricane threat - and will have enough hot and humid weather in the summer time to remind you of Florida (although so far this year, we have not had a day in the 90's) - but you will not have to deal with the palmetto bugs! we have the occasional glimpse of snow - but generally the winters are pretty mild.

·
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the suggestions. We are still negotiating the sale and it might not go thru. But the house will be sold eventually, and a destination will need to be decided on. Keep em coming!

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Raleigh, North Carolina or Cary are amazing places to live provided you don't suffer from serious allergy problems. Snow occurs but on a very limited basis. The climate is good but humid in the summer. I'm from near Chicago but it's too cold in the winters for my blood and have lived in NC for 22 years. I never ever miss the snow but I do miss Chicago. I'll stay in North Carolina until I retire

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Colorado! Easy choice, it's not as cold as everyone think it is, it was 99 and 100 degrees the last couple of days with no humidity. If you sit in the shade, it doesn't feel like 99 and 100. There isn't much snow in the winter and if it does snow, it melts the next day. There are plenty of hospitals here. $400K will get you a decent looking house here.

·
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cost-of-living, while not critical is a factor. I'm worried about taxes on income.

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,794 Posts
Tennessee has no state income tax! Just like Florida.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts