Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ain't that just peachy? Turns out I've got cracked headers any thoughts on the best place to find new ones which don't costs a king's ransom?

Even with a warranty this is gonna hurt.

As an aside am I right in thinking that LHD headers won't fit a UK model? Also what other AMG models manifolds might fit (CLK55/CLS55/SL55)?

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Well ain't that just peachy? Turns out I've got cracked headers any thoughts on the best place to find new ones which don't costs a king's ransom?

Even with a warranty this is gonna hurt.

As an aside am I right in thinking that LHD headers won't fit a UK model? Also what other AMG models manifolds might fit (CLK55/CLS55/SL55)?
Eurocharged do some short headers ie you keep your primary cats. Eurocharged UK were asking about £500. Not bad for some increased performance. I considered getting them, but did not get round to doing it.

Although I am not sure Eurocharged UK in London is still operating. US price works out about the same but there is import duty.

I think there may be an issue with LHD headers fouling. This came up when I was considering kleeman headers. Although they were advertised as just needing some alteration to fit.

Good luck in your search.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Hi All
kleemann do headers for the R171 55 , had them fitted at the end of last year with the long downpipe , So I only have rear two cats . You have to have the ECU upgrade with headers fitted , this should give you about an extra 50 bhp .they is. A Kleemann garage down the south coast.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
now here's the thing...

IF (and I appreciate it could be a big 'if') headers from a LHD car will fit then we could be well in business. Mine currently look very similar to these:

Mercedes W220 S500 S55 R230 SL500 SL55 R171 SLK55 AMG Edelstahl Fächerkrümmer | eBay

meaning that there is no big advantage over standard (collection pipe is really too small and so becomes a restriction) whereas the Eurocharged ones look like this:

Eurocharged Mercedes Benz C55/SLK55 exhaust headers

interestingly enough it does appear we can use the same headers from a C55 which could mean a little more choice.

As I understand it, though it is just hearsay at this point (though they were correct about other bits 'n' bobs on the car) mine have been given an ECU-upgrade already so that could be one less obstacle.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Hi All

@waylander I had them fitted at MSL in Birmingham , They did all the work , The only problem they had was they were sent two left hand downpipes so they had alittle bit of work the sort that out .
Living them is different , the engine picks up quicker I think & you do get some pops etc but only alittle which for me is great , I hate the new fashion of all that banging & popping like the F-type . You can not be a wall flower when driving as it is loud over 3000rpm but in a good way (your Nan will not like it ) . Cold start is some thing else . so if you work shifts take the bus or walk . The wife did make a row of very young school children cry as she pulled away from a roundabout (snowflakes), but on the other hand she did get a small group of single mothers call her a B***H so yes it has its up & downs . No one has told me yet that they hate the new sounds .

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
172 Posts
give CKS in watford a look. i had kleemann headers, 100 cell cats, stainless x-pipe and v8 backboxes put on my 350, sounds amazing, picks up very quickly(like a bike) and your mrs will hear you coming far enough away to have a cup of tea ready as you step through the door... but you can drive it very conservativley and not make so much noise, but then, nah..... be a hooligan..
the kleemann units aint cheap though..but CKS will know what fits and what wont. and chet's c63 amg is a real monster....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts