Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
fuse for interior lights blown! Where is trunk light?

Sorry about kind of getting off topic here but I'm about to give up and take my 230 into the dealer for this electrical issue... My 2001 R170 is having an issue with the interior lights. Every time I turn them on the right bulb illuminates just long enough to blow the fuse... the trunk light, door locks and alarm are associated with the same fuse and they all function properly and do not blow the fuse. And the trunk light is my last step before giving up and taking her in to avoid the hastle of checking miles of wires... I cannot find the trunk light and I am not sure if I even have one... so I was wondering if someone could please help me locate it / diagnose the problem

·
Registered
274 Posts
sounds like your on the right track the live feed to the light could be shorting directly to earth blowing the fuse if the trunk light is not illuminating the live wire might have come loose and be touching an earth . sorry I don't remember where it is in the trunk but im sure someone will answer soon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking... either that or something to do with the left dome light... because when I turn on the dome lights... the right one eliminated for a moment, but the left doesn't... I just don't want to take apart the interior if I don't have to... thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Trunk light location

Hello bhansen, the trunk light is on the left side of trunk just in front of you left leg. I have trouble with my trunk light staying on. I have removed the bulb for now but haven't given up hope yet. Good luck in your search.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,268 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem Solved! found the wire connectors where the trunk light was supposed to be but the housing was not attached... luckily i have a friend is parting out his '99 and i took the housing from his... but this still didnt solve the problem so i went back to my initial issue, the dome light. I took down the assembly and found my problem. plastic assembly that holds the right bulb in was broken, keeping it from being seated properly, warping the leads allowing the positive to arc to the negative. so lights are working again! Thanks all for the help!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.