Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still learning my way around the automotive area, I'm also pretty new to MB ownership, and i've been having some Trans/Gear shifting issues, but it doesnt happen all the time, every few days or even weeks between, but when they do, the car seems to get stuck in 1st gear, or one of the other gears while driving. I've been reading up, and looked around the engine a little bit, but im unsure if this is the Transmission fluid, if it is, it looks to be quite brown and dirty, which i'm thinking could be my problem.

I've read the Thread about Conductor plates, and all that already, found it today while looking for answers, but i'd like to hear thoughts or anything. I am a visual person, i can provide loads of pictures if needed.

Planning on getting it checked out if anything

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
No SLK
16,981 Posts
Pic 2 and 3 is the overflow container for the radiator fluid/antifreeze wow you right that looks quite nasty. The transmission oil/fluid is sealed in the transmission housing. If you have problems with the shifting I would recommend bring the car into a indy shop/MB shop and have the filter and tranny fluid changed while you at it also have the radiator flushed and have it filled with new antifreeze looks like somebody did not take good care of the basic fluid maintenance.:surprise:

PS if you look at the cap in pic 3 it shows a little radiator on the cap.

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,865 Posts
By the sounds of it your car is automatic
And yes auto gearboxes can be checked for fluid level by a special measurment stick .

But by the sounds of things by a technician be best .
You may have a fluid leak or poss conductor plate issues .

But the best thing is to have the fault codes read on engine and gearbox etc
And auto g box level to .
And any leaks .

As for your expansion water colour hard to tell by photo if it dirty or not ?

What colour is it ?
Or take a sample of it if brown and dirty change it .

Should be clear with either green in colour or poss blue or red / pink .

Depending on if it has been changed by a garage at some point .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pic 2 and 3 is the overflow container for the radiator fluid/antifreeze wow you right that looks quite nasty. The transmission oil/fluid is sealed in the transmission housing. If you have problems with the shifting I would recommend bring the car into a indy shop/MB shop and have the filter and tranny fluid changed while you at it also have the radiator flushed and have it filled with new antifreeze looks like somebody did not take good care of the basic fluid maintenance.:surprise:

PS if you look at the cap in pic 3 it shows a little radiator on the cap.
thanks so much for the info, ill have it looked and, and for sure the fluids were neglected, the dealership i got this car from had alot of issues, with thier service dept, liek all 1 stars on yelp- they had the car for quite some time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.