Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you place the broomstick to prop the retracting roof (so one can work on cleaning the inside of the rear windscreen and also do some decent lubrication the rubber seals around the rear windscreen and rear pillars)?

Photos appreciated and tech info on the boomstick as well (e.g., diameter of the broomstick and length).

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,308 Posts
i just turn off smarttop and use switch to stop it wherever i want it to stop.

·
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is to prop the partially retracted roof in its partially open position so one can work on it even when the hydraulics lose the pressure, so the roof doesn't return or slowly collapses either to the front or to the rear.

IIRC, John (UK-C200) and Adamantium had experience with this.

·
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just turn off smarttop and use switch to stop it wherever i want it to stop.
Don't have to turn SmartTop off, just push and hold the center console roof button until the desired position and let go. Roof motion freezes and keeps its position for a short while.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Eddy - I've got the measurements at home in London, and will (hopefully!!) still be heading back on Sunday evening. If Adam's trolling around, he may still have the one we did for him and be able to measure it. His is about an inch too long..

·
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.... His is about an inch too long..
I KNOW you're referring to the broomstick :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

What about placement? Where do you anchor the broomstick and which part of the roof do you support?

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I KNOW you're referring to the broomstick :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
But of course! :)

What about placement? Where do you anchor the broomstick and which part of the roof do you support?
Talk about a picture or two being worth a 1000 words.......

Ok - so the MB roof holding tool is a telescoping rod with fixtures on each end to latch onto the roof clamps and latch points to hold it in whatever place you want it.

The broomstick method is simpler - it's designed to allow the weight of the roof to hold it in one place. The quick solution is to cut a stick to the required length and use masking or painters tape to secure it. The more complicated version is to turn and shape the ends so that they wedge into the latch and latch points as well.

With the ignition off, the hydraulics will hold the roof open for about 5 minutes. Open the roof halfway, turn the car off, close the doors with the windows down.

Put one hand on the front edge of the top and gently hold it. When the pressure releases, it will either fall forward or backwards depending on where it is.

The roof has a natural balance point were it will almost hold itself up. You want to find this balance point, and then allow the top to "fall" forward a couple of inches.

Have your partner in crime measure this distance from the latches on the top to the latch points on the windscreen edge. Cut your stick to this length.

Now you can either use tape or shape then ends of the stick. If you take a good look at the latch points, you''ll easily visualize how you need to shape the end to "wedge" it where it will stay secure. If you use tape, be liberal - the roof is so well balanced that no matter how careful you are lubing / cleaning, you will naturally move it backwards enough to remove the force holding the stick in place, and it will fall -point down, in my experience - onto your seat.

There are loads of warning about crushing your hands, fingers, and other assorted dangly bits in the roof. I can easily see this happening when it's under hydraulic power. With no power, don't see how it could happen unless you were really careless. The roof is very well balanced, and you can hold it in pretty much any position you want with one hand.

At some point in time I'll take some piece of telescopic rod and do up a proper brace with fixture to better secure the roof just to play. For random window cleaning and lubing, the broomstick works perfectly fine.

·
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sort of get the picture. Is the broomstick placed on one side only (e.g., driver side) by where the latches are?

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Eddy - exactly - I tend to use the passenger side, not for any really good reason. Basically you are putting it where the latch points are on one side - they are basically over each seat. The stick really does not have to be strong at all, the roof is not really heavy and is damned well balanced.

If you open your roof with the smarttop while standing next to the car, you'll see what I'm on about as it goes up.

·
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll take a look tonight and see what I can come up with (thinking of a flat 2"x4" soft wood)

Have you seen the MB tool? part number perhaps? and ballpark cost if known.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Yeah, it's a bizarre little beast, part number is 2305890463, and no idea of the cost. As I recall, it can attach to the roof like I've described above, and can also be "clamped" to the side guide arm for even more entertaining positions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have your partner in crime measure this distance from the latches on the top to the latch points on the windscreen edge. Cut your stick to this length..
What is a good measurement to start with? What have you guys used for the final length? A photo of it in use would help us all.

Rich

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.