Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,829 Posts
Just be aware that if you source them overseas you will likely need to add import duty.
Easily overlooked.

Take it you tried the likes of ebay, amazon, Pistonheads and the other car websites?

There's a few here who have fitted them, but I can't recall more than one in the UK.
I think they were at a recent meet. I wasn't there, but @dbgrn might have been, Dave?
They might be able to give some tips for sourcing and fitting.

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Just be aware that if you source them overseas you will likely need to add import duty.
Easily overlooked.

Take it you tried the likes of ebay, amazon, Pistonheads and the other car websites?

There's a few here who have fitted them, but I can't recall more than one in the UK.
I think they were at a recent meet. I wasn't there, but @dbgrn might have been, Dave?
They might be able to give some tips for sourcing and fitting.
Sorry, no, I've never seen any lambo style doors on an SLK in person - and if there were some at a recent UK meet, I'm afraid I don't know where they were either.

·
Super Moderator
24,829 Posts
If I spot it on my travels I'll post a mention here.

Maybe it's an upcoming event.
I think it is either their profile avatar, or signature that shows the doors open.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,537 Posts
I would say that a 'used' ld would possibly been 'adjusted' from 'normal' and not worth the time or effort. Just my opinion.
Notice, I don't have any ld or gull wings :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think Eeyorewolf signature is an r171 with Lambo doors. Pretty cool. I looked into it, think the company that makes the hinges for the mod is Houston based. I think they cost $1000-$1200. If you buy them in Houston they will install them for free if i remember correctly.
Try this link.https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=tZ9eW4SfHMbwsQX7sJOoBw&q=slk+with+lambo+doors&oq=slk+with&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0j0i22i30k1l9.9009.12022.0.15824.8.8.0.0.0.0.204.780.7j0j1.8.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.8.779...0i131k1.0.H81JDWPxpuI

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd like to see an SLK door sliding into it's front fender like a Kaiser Darren, that would be a neat trick. Beautiful body style for early 50's. Have you ever seen an early 90's BMW Z1? Really unusual doors. Can't imagine doing 150mph with the doors down. What a rush.

·
Super Moderator
11,540 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not used them myself but apparently these guys can do the conversion for you. They look like it would be even harder for me to get in and out of the car lol. :surprise:

https://www.cksperformance.com/products/lamborghini-style-door-kit-r172-slk-mercedes-slk-r172?make=mercedes&class=slk & slc&model=r172
I think the door kits allow the doors to be opened normally or Lambo style. Kind of defeats the purpose though. To me the Lambo doors look much better on the AMG's(55's), with the ground effects it makes it look like a super car( which it almost is).

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think the door kits allow the doors to be opened normally or Lambo style. Kind of defeats the purpose though. To me the Lambo doors look much better on the AMG's(55's), with the ground effects it makes it look like a super car( which it almost is).
Yeah I think once the novelty had worn off, I'd revert to using the normal opening again anyway. I think I'll give them a miss and perhaps go for the illuminated sills instead.

BTW, has anyone else's car not got any door lights installed? Mine doesn't even seem to have a location where they could be fitted. You would think something like that would be standard equipment on every model at the very least. :|

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not used them myself but apparently these guys can do the conversion for you. They look like it would be even harder for me to get in and out of the car lol. :surprise:

https://www.cksperformance.com/products/lamborghini-style-door-kit-r172-slk-mercedes-slk-r172?make=mercedes&class=slk & slc&model=r172
That's the hinges I was considering. You have the best of both worlds. Open them normally or Lambo style just like the SLR. I think they open 2 feet normally before they go up. Which is great if you park in an underground parking lot with a cement post beside it. Or if the parking spots are to close together where you can't raise them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts