Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
*Registered
Looking for an SLK
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching online sites for a R171 SLK to buy for a couple of months now, and during that time I hoped that I would see one in a parking lot or on the street. I'm surprised that I have seen only ONE R171 SLK on the street during the last few months. How is that possible? Were the second generation SLKs sold in so few numbers? Are they all sitting in garages and never come out?

For that matter, I haven't seen any first or third generation SLKs either...

·
Founding Member 2006
114,399 Posts
out of every 100 cars on the street, at least 10 are mustangs
SLKs? you would have to get up to at least 1000 cars before you might, i say might, see an SLK

·
*Registered
2009 SLK55 AMG w/P30
1,631 Posts
out of every 100 cars on the street, at least 10 are mustangs
SLKs? you would have to get up to at least 1000 cars before you might, i say might, see an SLK

To add to this in his book on the R171 Long quotes total R171 production 2003 to 2010 at 242,184 world wide.
If that number 140,094 were SLK200 Kompressor which was not to my knowledge imported into Canada but I cannot comment on the rest of NA. I do know from this site they are prevalent in the UK.
There were 40,000 SLK280/300 built.
SLK350 production was 52000 and SLK55 AMG 9541.
The most SLK55s were 2005.
So given the world wide export market they can be hard to find.
I spent 2 yr looking for an SLK55 AMG and ended up with1 of 19 2009 imported into Canada out of 290 produced world wide.
That said, when you do get one that tickles your fancy that's the reward.

·
Founding Member 2006
114,399 Posts
no 200s in the USA. 250s, yes

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
573 Posts
Mine has been in storage for a few years now. I have recently seen 3 R171s (in rough shape) in my neck of the woods and decided it is time to get it back on the road sometime next spring. I love driving it, but with a company truck (free gas) as my daily driver and another car in the driveway it has just not been on the top of my priority list (yet I refuse to sell it due to the rarity of the manual transmission). Shame on me I know, but at least it does not look as rough as the few I have seen recently.

·
*Registered
2019 SLC300
3,083 Posts
SLK/SLC are not daily drivers for the most part here in the USA and are parked for weekend drives. As pointed out in the posts above, the production and import numbers are low compared to other cars. I live in the Myrtle Beach area and see one almost every day. Retired people have them as a fun car and are driven more often. There are many other convertible and sports cars here on the streets daily. Mustangs and Corvettes are everyday cars. The newest model of the Vette is an everyday spotting. The Chevy dealer the other week had five different colors of the new Vette on the sales floor.

Many here in North America's colder weather areas are put in storage during the winter months

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
15 Posts
Many here in North America's colder weather areas are put in storage during the winter months
yup, so very true, mine was a daily driver, (even when i lived in Cleveland), until i retired, she took it all like a champ, but she gets lots of long weekend drives, i usually put the top down until frost is a real possibility… mmmm airscarf….ahhhh

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
178 Posts
Statistically there should be less older generation models so less 171’s than 172’s and less 170’s than 171’s due to things like end of lifespan, accidents, uneconomical to name but three.
On the other hand the SLK has not improved as much over its generations as say the Boxster has.
In the UK there are still plenty of 170’s and 171’s around. Given the state of our roads, the weather and the legendary rusting of early SLK’s there are probably more around than there is any right to be which is probably testament to them being looked after.

·
*Registered
2019 SLC300
3,083 Posts
Statistically there should be less older generation models so less 171’s than 172’s and less 170’s than 171’s due to things like end of lifespan, accidents, uneconomical to name but three.
The 170 is still going strong even to its age. Today I saw two preface lifts, a silver that needed a wash, and a yellow that looked very good. I check cars.com now and then to see what is happening with SLK and the numbers for sale and current pricing. There is a good number of 170 and 171 in the marketplace if you are willing to travel sometimes to get one.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
2,543 Posts
I live in central London. Within 800m there are 9 SLKs. 200s, 350s and a 55. No 170s though. Mostly 171s.

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
178 Posts
I live in central London. Within 800m there are 9 SLKs. 200s, 350s and a 55. No 170s though. Mostly 171s.
170’s no longer ULEZ perhaps?
Within 20 miles of me (Whitstable, Kent) there are only 8 172’s, 3 171’s and 2 170’s which supports my statistics post.
There are 14 171’s available from just one car supermarket alone that would be delivered either to home or somewhere nearby, this is obviously the way now most folk are buying cars, if you dont like it then you have 7 days to return it.
I would still rather go see and drive first.
There is a really nice AMG32 (Going by the photos) about 40 miles from me in the colour i like and the interior i like.
I can hear it calling me. :love::LOL:

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
13 Posts
I've been searching online sites for a R171 SLK to buy for a couple of months now, and during that time I hoped that I would see one in a parking lot or on the street. I'm surprised that I have seen only ONE R171 SLK on the street during the last few months. How is that possible? Were the second generation SLKs sold in so few numbers? Are they all sitting in garages and never come out?

For that matter, I haven't seen any first or third generation SLKs either...
Try “bring a trailer”. Just register, put in desired vehicle and BaT will notify when your car is available.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts