Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting new wheels and tires for my 320.
I see the option to get 16" or 17".
What's the difference beside 1"
Any pros and cons?
Tia,
G

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,272 Posts
hmmmmm methinks i move this to the wheels, tires, suspension and brakes section :D

·
97,272 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
You pay more for bigger rims and wheels and some people believe bigger rims and wheels look better (one con and one pro) Some say the bigger wheels are less durable but I think the difference between 16 and 17 isn't much. You have to be careful about the quality of the sidewalls more than the difference in size when it comes to tires this close in size. In terms of smoothness of the ride again some say the bigger wheels provide smoother rides but I believe it is the quality of the tire that makes the difference when comparing the small difference between 16 and 17 inch.
Bottom line I think its personal preference. If you like the look of the bigger ones buy them. If you don't care either way buy 16 inch and upgrade the actual tire putting the money you would have paid for the 17 inch rims.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at the test results but I'm still not sure what to make of it.
Sounds like I could move up from the 16" stock wheels to the 17" after market but my stock wheels have tow different size tires on them 205 in front and 255 in the back. But when I look on tire rack, I only see the 205 for the 17 rims. If I do the package deal. :surprise:
I'll have to give them a call.
:smile:

·
97,272 Posts
How about we just trade cars at the winery meet? :D

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,414 Posts
Going up in rim size you will need to go with wider tire with a lower side wall. This to keep the speedometer to give you the correct speed. Lower side wall and wider tire you give you better performance in turns. smaller rim with a narrow tire and high sidewall will give you a smoother ride. Like the article said the 17 & 18 inch rims seems to work best for over all driving.

Tire sizes
16 inch rims 205x55 front 225x50 rear
17 inch rim 225x45 front 245x40 rear

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reactions: jbanks15

·
97,272 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went with a 16" rim and the same size tire as the ome.
image.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.