Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
I am seeking some advice regarding rim sizes for my SLK 200. Before anyone mentions it, YES!! I have used Search (Search is your friend, as someone once said), but the results seem to vary considerably.

I have a pretty stock standard SLK200, no suspension or performance mods. Currently I have the factory standard 16 inch rims. I would like to move up to 18 inch wheels. My question is - What width? Do I go for 7.5 front and 8.5 rear or 8 front and 8.5 rear, 8.5 front and 9.5 rear?

As I said the search brings up lots of articles, but no kind of definitive answer. The owners manual I have only mentions 16 and 17 inch rims. Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Also If any one knows of a company in Australia that imports Kunzmann rims, please let me know. The two styles of rims I am looking at are in the photos. If anyone has either fitted I would love to see a photo.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
The 18" AMG 12 (or is it 16) spoke wheels are beautiful. You should be able to pick up a set of those, or at least get the measurements.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Your SLK200 has ~200 horsepower, yes? The issue you want to be concerned with is weight of the wheel & tire as you don't have a lot of engine to overcome the effects of greater unsprung weight. Heavier wheels have an adverse affect on handling; the normally sharp steering responses are dulled and the car feels heavy. Braking typically gets a little worse, too. So if handling prowess is a primary goal, you should be looking at the lightest wheels possible regardless of style; preferably lighter than stock and certainly no heavier.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Currently I have the factory standard 16 inch rims. I would like to move up to 18 inch wheels. My question is - What width? Do I go for 7.5 front and 8.5 rear or 8 front and 8.5 rear, 8.5 front and 9.5 rear?
My vote would be to stick with the factory setup for 18" rims, which is 7.5" at the front and 8.5" at the rear.

The problem you will have is there is not much choice in these sizes other than from MB/AMG.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I like the twin 5-spoke 18" rims and have contemplated fitting these to my 200 in place of the 16" rims. These were fitted as part of sport pack from about 2010. Also fitted to the 2LOOK version (with standard one-pot callipers and plain discs, standard suspension).

I'd suggest sticking to standard widths and offsets unless you really want to go to extremes..

·
Registered 2008 SLK350
2,244 Posts
Also If any one knows of a company in Australia that imports Kunzmann rims, please let me know. The two styles of rims I am looking at are in the photos. If anyone has either fitted I would love to see a photo.
I don't know what you mean with "Kunzmann rims" but they are ordinary MB rims.
Partnumber B66474516 (7.5J ET36) and B66474517 (8.5J ET30). AFAIK they can be ordered at any MB dealer. In fact Kunzmann is a German MB dealer. Just ordered a set myself for my wintersetup.
If you want a picture of how they look on a R171 (not mine) see below.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts