Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New to this forum and SLK’s, but this week see’s me pick up my 2005 R171 SLK55.

the car comes with the 5 spoke AMG wheel which I am not a fan of and they need all new tyres….so man maths says new wheels.

I have the stock sizes as 18x7.5 et30 and 18x8.5 et37. Finding wheels in exactly this size is a tad odd, but I notice many use a 18x8.5 on the front as well, or even a 9.5 on the rear. Any of you notice any difference steering/handling wise?

Any particular advice on what does not fit, rubs etc? I think I want to stay with a 18” wheel as well…… so what is a sensible fitment?
8.5x18 et35
9.5x18 et35

cheers

·
**Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
152 Posts
That spec won‘t work, The biggest issue we have is clearing the front callipers. The offset is not that drastic but when you add the 1 inch increase in diameter, you’ll struggle to clear the brakes.

If you’re looking at that offset, try an 8” or 7.5” wheel.

Ask me how I know?

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Arh, you speak from experience?

so what wheel specs did you fit?

I think I can get an 8”

some quick maths says 7.5” with an et37 offset will mean a backspace of 134.79
A 8.5” with et35 will have a back space of 142.95, but also sticks outboard by 10mm more.
What 18” wheels have others fitted?

·
152 Posts
Arh, you speak from experience?

so what wheel specs did you fit?

I think I can get an 8”

some quick maths says 7.5” with an et37 offset will mean a backspace of 134.79
A 8.5” with et35 will have a back space of 142.95, but also sticks outboard by 10mm more.
What 18” wheels have others fitted?
H Mark, I’m still looking but may end up doing nothing. I fancy the AMG IV iterations, which are heavier than the multi spoke wheels but I think they look good. But this car is very sensitive to offset and wheel diameter.

The R230 SL class should have wheels that will fit, or the C55 AMG wheels should also fit. Other than that I’d suggest treading carefully.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I quite fancy the Japan racing JR23, basically a BBS Le Mans replica. I can get a 18x8 et from 20-40 with the correct PCD. However the spokes are close to the mounting face and while it may be correct fitment it may not fit…. Will have a think.

·
152 Posts
Be aware that the R230 uses M14 bolts and the R171 M12.
View attachment 616642

Just saying. 😉
Thanks. Yet another consideration to be factored into all of this.

My take is that the R171 55 was set up near perfectly from the factory. Trying to make changes is fraught and I’m not sure it’s worth it in the end.

I wouldn’t mind a set of the AMG IV’s, which are heavier than the AMG V’s but I think look quite good. Other than that I think there are too many variables to consider when changing the wheels.

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,601 Posts
Thanks. Yet another consideration to be factored into all of this.

My take is that the R171 55 was set up near perfectly from the factory. Trying to make changes is fraught and I’m not sure it’s worth it in the end.

I wouldn’t mind a set of the AMG IV’s, which are heavier than the AMG V’s but I think look quite good. Other than that I think there are too many variables to consider when changing the wheels.
If you want to stay on the safe side, attached are 2 pdf's for 17 and 18" AMG rims that are approved by MB for use on the 171.

Attachments

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is complicated. I contacted one of the brands directly to check fitment, they have no drawings of the original 6pot calipers so can not confirm.
I am loathed to take a punt and find they do not fit and have no desire to fix a problem with spacers.
Oh well.

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
2,586 Posts
On my Xfire I went with great rims from Discount Tire
On my 55 , I took the rims off and to a shop here and had them trued then done in a black finish with some metal flake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts