Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I've got what is probably a pretty basic question to many, but to me I am struggling with it. Why the HUGE variation in pricing for wheels? I see lots of wheels in the $250/wheel range and then there seems to be a next grouping at around $900/wheel. Does someone have a thread or simple explanation of why the huge difference?

Thinking I want to stick to 18" but want something more open than the stock AMG wheels on it now. Anyone want to toss out suggestions I'll certainly take them.

Thanks in advance!
Dave

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:The high dollar wheels are brand name and command top dollar. A lot of the wheels in the under $1000 (for four) category are made in Taiwan, Korea, Mexico etc. Personally I refuse to spend big money on fancy wheels. Others will argue, "you get what you pay for", cheap wheels are dangerous", etc. I've had at least ten sets of bargain wheels, with zero issues, lack of quality, or failure, etc. I don't track any vehicles, drag race, and try to drive within the speed limit. I'm conservative with my hard earned money. Call me "cheap", but please add "wheels". As in cheap wheels. Nothing tacky, stylish and inexpensive is my style.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I don't track my car but I do like to stand on it from time to time. I do plan to keep my AMG wheels as I figure they will help with resale and in case I regret my choice of wheels I have something to fall back on. My main concern is making sure what I get is safe and will last several years if taken care of.

Enkei, TSW & Rennen all seem to have some nice looking choices, just want to make sure I am not walking into problems since I don't know a ton about wheels.

I struggle with spending $4k on wheels but will if there is a good reason to.

Thanks!
Dave.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It usually comes down to forged wheels vs casted wheels. Forged wheels are carved out of one piece of metal, are lighter and stronger than cast wheels. Casted wheels are made by molten aluminum poured into a mold and allowed to dry. They are cheeper to mass produce and much heavier. That's usually where the big price difference comes from.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So...is there a threshold of performance that a cast wheel is good for and a natural place where a forged wheel is a must?

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
So...is there a threshold of performance that a cast wheel is good for and a natural place where a forged wheel is a must?
Cast wheels are fine. OZ comes to mind. The only problem with cast is it will be heavier than one piece forged wheels. Forged is also stronger, if you don't track, it doesn't matter. Replicas are cheap, the only problem with them are they are not tested. Can break at any time, I would not buy them bc it is a safety hazard.

HRE and adv.1 are forged but they charged ridiculously. I remember those days when you can get a set for $2500. Now you are looking at $4000 minimum but more likely $6000/set. You are paying for marketing and reputation, some people have to have the latest and greatest.

There are alternatives that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. OZ, forgeline, TSW, etc. they stand by their products and has been in business for a long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts