Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the winter wasn't kind to the roadways in my area, and I've found a nice pothole that I believe to have bent my front driver's-side wheel. I'd just recently put brand new tires on, but it wasn't enough to dampen the abrupt shock I guess. Regardless, I decided I was going to do a little searching for some new wheels to see what my options are. Ideally, my preference would be to find a single OEM wheel for my 06 SLK55 AMG. However, I might consider 4 alternative aftermarket options if the costs are comparable.

However, I looked at my tires this afternoon and noticed something odd. I was under the impression that the wheels are 18x8.5 rears and 18x7.5 fronts. When I looked at the tires installed recently, I've got 255x40x18 fronts and 255x35x18 rears. Now, is there any reason that this would have been installed this way other than mere error on the part of Big'O Tires? Is this a detriment to anything that I should be aware of?

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for where to look for OEM or good aftermarket options.... I'm all ears. I would like to go with something lightweight to reduce my unsprung weight. With that said, I would be inclined to find something with a little more strength than the lightest weight alloys, so that I don't end up with another bent rim in the near future. Any tips, pointers, suggestions, are all welcome.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Nice nickname...good to see you appreciate REAL beer. (that should start a fire)

OEM for standard 55 is:

225/40/18 front
245/35/18 rear

So, yes, if that's what's on your car...it's not at all correct. Your front diameter is actually taller than the rear.. a very odd stance.. Perhaps recheck?

You may already know this, but the 40 in the case of the fronts means that the side wall is 40% of the width of the tire, or in this case 90mm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.