Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried search without finding anything. Went to change rear tyres this morning to find that one of the nuts was cross threaded.

Able to remove with force and job continued and driving with just 4 in place. Fitter felt it was not too much of a problem - pro temp.

Anyone had experience of this and what the remedy is to eventually resolve the situation. Fitter thought that the thread can be cleaned and re-drilled ?

He added that able to put the nut or a new one in that could force.

What advice ?

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Is it a nut or a bolt ? To clean the thread up in the hub if you dont have access to a tap, file a V shaped groove along the thread of a wheel bolt and gently start it into the thread. make sure its square and not crossed. Then turn into the thread a few times to clean it up. This will only work if the thread has not been stripped.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
BTW you cant drill it out and re thread as that would mean the bolt would no longer fit You worst scenario is a new rear drum and disc.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Jon has given you some good advice. If it was me I would take a bolt from another wheel to a good tool store and buy a thread tap to match. Then you do just what Jon said about the grooved bolt. Taps are sharpened and hardened to make things easier, albeit more expensive than a bolt. If you can rent or borrow one even better.

Best wishes

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is the wheel holding bolt that has been removed but clearly cross threaded. So for the moment the wheel is secured by 4 bolts instead of 5. I understand that is possible to put a sleeve in the u/s one perhaps.

Is it worth ordering a bolt and seeing if it will go in.

A tip I did learn was to oil all the bolts regularly as in this case had I got a puncture there was no way I would have removed the bolts at the side of the road, they were solid.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Pity your not closer as I have a bolt already grooved here as I had a cross threaded bolt on mine. I think to have it drilled and sleeved would probably work out as expensive as replacing the drum/disc What are the like for wear.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I carry a telescopic wheel brace as the MB one is too short. Plus of course your bolts should be tightened with a torque wrench. Probably the same as a 171 at 80lbs. Not torque setting FT by standing on the wheel brace as many do :)

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
If it's truly stripped, isn't it the spindle that has to be replaced?
Sounds to me like the thread inside the drum has been crossed. Unless its been badly damaged it should clean up. If not the simplest way is a new disc/hub. Drilling out and fitting a bussh and re tapping is hardly worth the effort compared to the price of a new one. Be different if it was a cylinder head

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,054 Posts
Have you considered using something like this?
http://www.helicoil.in/

very strong, and easy to use, much easier than sleeving, and in my opinion, quite a bit stronger. On wheels bolts, I wouldn't feel safe just rethreading it, it might weaken what little thread is left on there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all

I will try JonB's clean up and a new wheel nut, several people have said to me that there is no particular issue with being one 'nut' down so long as regularly check the other 4.

I suppose wheel nut best via MB, unless someone knows better ?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,054 Posts
Woah Woah woah.....One lug short would be ok temporarily, but not long term!

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
My advice is that if your in the slightest unsure about that damaged thread then buy a new disc/hub. They arent that expensive compared to risking running on 4 bolts. They fit five bolts for a reason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.