Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an extra set of stock 18" wheels from my 2006 SL600 r230. I switch to 20" last year. Will they fit on my 1999 SLK 230 r170?

Thanks

Trimix

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,089 Posts
gonna move this to the wheels, tires, suspension and brakes section

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,089 Posts
boscochan,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t already.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Profile is NOT updated in your ‘garage’.

We’d like you to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member
4,913 Posts
what should be the specifications? will the ride quality be really bad after changing to 18"?
18" is stiffer than 16" for sure, but in my opinion the best compromise between ride quality and looks. 19" is getting on the big side, 20" which the OP installed is HUGE, and definitely an acquired taste.

All the OEM wheels of the R170 and R171 are interchangeable in terms of fit: all the R170 wheels fit the R171 and vice versa. With one caveat: some models have larger brake calipers, which means that the smaller wheels will not fit. For instance, an R171 SLK55 will not take a 16" wheel, because the wheel will not clear the caliper, even though the bolt-pattern and offset are a match.

EDIT: Note that I missed the part where OP is talking about SL wheels, not SLK. My comments are about SLK wheels.

·
Premium Member
10,745 Posts
18" is stiffer than 16" for sure, but in my opinion the best compromise between ride quality and looks. 19" is getting on the big side, 20" which the OP installed is HUGE, and definitely an acquired taste.

All the OEM wheels of the R170 and R171 are interchangeable in terms of fit: all the R170 wheels fit the R171 and vice versa. With one caveat: some models have larger brake calipers, which means that the smaller wheels will not fit. For instance, an R171 SLK55 will not take a 16" wheel, because the wheel will not clear the caliper, even though the bolt-pattern and offset are a match.
Enough said !! :tu:

·
Premium Member
771 Posts

All the OEM wheels of the R170 and R171 are interchangeable in terms of fit:
it was an SL 600 with the 20" wheels - not an slk:

I have an extra set of stock 18" wheels from my 2006 SL600 r230.I switch to 20" last year.
the current sl wheel+tyre diameter is wider than the slk by about an inch - I presume it was the same with previous models, but don't have the data to hand.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for letting me know they will fit. The speedo will be way off though. But I bet they will look good. The ones i had were abused by the previous owned and got pitted really bad by the salt. You think you could clean your mags once and while. That's why some people should have hub caps.

Thanks again for letting me know.

Trimix

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
as well as the exrta inch in diameter, don't forget there is also the extra width (30mm-50mm front/40mm-60mm rear). these figures are from the relevant owners manuals:

r170 slk 230
non sport:
offset: 37mm
F: 205/55 R 16 7J = 25" diameter
R: 225/50 R 16 8J = 25" diameter

sport package:
offset: 37mm
F: 225/45 ZR 17 7.5J = 25" diameter
R: 245/40 ZR 17 8.5J = 25" diameter

2006 sl600
non sport:
offset: 35mm
F: 255/40 R 18 8.5J = 26" diameter
R: 285/35 R 18 9.5J = 26" diameter

sport:
offset 40mm
F: 255/40 ZR 18 8.5J = 26" diameter
R: 285/35 ZR 18 9.5J = 26" diameter

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was worried about the width. I will just Craigs list the 18". I did change my Sl 600 to 19" from a 2006 SL65 amg Chromed. Wife thinks they look to Italian LOL.

I found in my garage a set of 16" 2000 e320 wheels. The only reason i want to change the wheels is the SLK 230 I am bringing back to glory that the old folks that owned it did not know you needed wash your wheels from the salt.

Polishing did not even help.

trimix

·
Registered
12 Posts
thanks jeff!! already seen these functions...:)` will enjoy my stay in the forum.

boscochan,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t already.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Profile is NOT updated in your ‘garage’.

We’d like you to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I was worried about the width. I will just Craigs list the 18". I did change my Sl 600 to 19" from a 2006 SL65 amg Chromed. Wife thinks they look to Italian LOL.

I found in my garage a set of 16" 2000 e320 wheels. The only reason i want to change the wheels is the SLK 230 I am bringing back to glory that the old folks that owned it did not know you needed wash your wheels from the salt.

Polishing did not even help.

trimix
As I understand it, the finish on the original wheels is trashed from the use of harsh winter chemicals and insufficient cleaning? Have you considered simply dismounting the tires and having the wheels professionally media blasted and refinished? That might not be cheaper than purchasing a new set, but you would save the trouble of having to sell or store a trashed set of wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts