Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of removing my wheels for a thorough detailing. All I have is the original jack. Is it safe to lift the car by jack alone (level surface)? If I get them, is there a safe place to install jack stands? Should I get a hydraulic jack?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I have never tried the factory jacking system, so I can't really comment. However, I suspect if done using the instruction in the manual it would be OK for a single wheel removal. But I would never put any part of myself in danger under tha car at any time. I personally use Jack Pads, with the AMG Body Kit extensions from ReveseLogic, and a high quality low profile floor jack system to raise, and then remove, one wheel at at time. I alway chock both opposite side tires, and as above I never put any body parts under the car. I always do this inside my garage on a flat concrete floor. Safe in my view, but be careful. It is the best way to get the inside of your wheels nice and clean, it also allows you to do a good inside sidewall tire inspection.

PS I also use two lug bolt 'temporary pin extensions' from ReveseLogic, to aid in alinging the wheels when putting them back on, it is a big hassle/time saver.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I would get a hydraulic floor jack and use that. It will certainly hold the car up while you detail a wheel. I can't help you with jack stand locations, as I've not used them on the SLK and for the same reason you state: I don't know where it is structurally safe to put them. If you have a spare wheel you can put on, so much the better as you don't have to keep the car propped up in the air. I'm more fortunate than most, in that I own a C230 with 16" rims and for which I have an extra set with winter tires. When the winter tires go on, the standard rims get detailed. When that's done, I swap them on to the SLK just long enough to detail those rims and put them back, and store the factory C rims on the garage wall for the rest of the winter.

I have been very happy with Griot's Garage products. I use their Wheel Cleaning Clay to help remove stubborn grime after a thorough wash. I use a bug & tar remover to go after really nasty spots. Once the wheel is clean, I wax it with a Meguiar's liquid wax inside and out. That helps to keep brake dust from sticking to the wheel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have used the original jack on a concrete floor in my garage and find it works fine. I have also used a floor type hydraulic jack with a block of wood in the cup that comes in contact with the lifting point and that also works well.
Loosen the lug bolts before jacking the car. Do the final tightening when the car is back on the floor.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I also use the original jack, works fine.
But just to be on the save side I always shove 1 wheel of my winter setup sideways under the body. Just in case the jack would trip the car lands on that wheel and not on the rotor or suspension.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
take the car jack for what it is

an emergency item. It's not meant for prolonged use. Use it to change a wheel only. I have done with roadside punctures and have always been wary of the raised car on the bilstein jack. they do look a bit flimsy for the job.
I have three trolley jacks, of varying descriptions ,amassed over the years. the easiest to use is the aluminium racing jack I ought from Costco. ( also the most expensive). It is capable of raising any of our cars high enough to get an axle stand under the other jacking cup on the same side ( so can the others, but this has a 1.5metre handle, which makes pumping really easy).
I always put another wheel under the sill. Once , I obviously hadn't centred the jack properly, and the car slipped off. I still had the wheel on the hub, but if I hadn't, the 'spare' would have caught the car and given me enough room to jack it up again.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all the advice. I asked my neighbor across the swamp from me (yes there is a Zekiah Swamp, Virginia) what he would suggest. I told him I wasnt interested in cinder blocks either. I have to give it to the man: He came up with a rather unique idea!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts