Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During our April 4th event, someone asked me how I cleaned my wheels. For the life of me, I could not remember the name of the brush. It's called the "EZ Detail Brush" and you can Google it for vendors. I found mine at my local Harley shop and it allows me to clean the deep inside the wheel.

I admit it; I'm "anal" when it comes to cleaning the wheels. The "inside" is as clean as the outside. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this affliction. So a little poll to all who visit this thread:

Do you clean both the "interior" as well as the exterior of your wheels? And if you do, what do you use?

F)

·
Registered
820 Posts
every now and then i unbolt my wheels so i can thoroughly clean it, polish it and wax it.

So im quite "anal" too :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
OK, you got me: I chose the 5 spoke chrome AMG's because they are so easy to clean. I have had Turbines before and will never again, no matter how nice they look!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Usually just the outsides. I have two sets of wheels, summer and winter, so I clean them before putting back on the car. With 16 spoke wheels it's just too much trouble.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Yup, when cleaning, inside and out. I choose wheels by appearance first, and ease of cleaning a close second. I guess I'm "semi anal", clean but no wax.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would never use a brush on the wheels!!! It can scratch the finish/clear coat/paint!

Instead, I use a wheel cleaner made in Germany. It's the only cleaner that won't void the warranty on a Porsche, so I think it's good enough for my Merc.

I spray it on a dry wheel, use a soft sponge, and all the brake dust comes right off the wheel. I then blast the wheels with water. It takes about 2 minutes per wheel and I don't use anything else.

P21s: http://www.topgearage.com/?p=354

·
Premium Member
17,842 Posts
It is a must for me to wash the insides as well. I do not remove the wheels to clean, though I may start. I clean the wheels with a sponge, and a bottle brush for the areas I can not reach by hand.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I also have a Harley wheel brush...but the post about a brush scratching the clear finish has me second guessing the wisdom of my decision.

I wonder if the wheel cleaner spray-on S100 brand would work well?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The brush I use is made specifically to not scratch any finish. It is 18" long and can reach into those deep cavities on any "toy". It is used both wet or dry but the manufacturer recommends hot soapy water. The warmer the water is, the softer the bristles. I wouldn't recommend it for baked on brake dust but works well in a continual maintenance mode. I usually clean my wheels after every "run" and only use the brush to reach the deep inside of the wheel. I use microfiber cloths for the exterior of the wheel. Here is a diagram of the brush. http://www.bikebrush.com/spec.html

I also use P21S products and absolutely swear by the carnuba wax which is the only wax I'll use on my paint. :tu:

·
Registered
820 Posts
The brush I use is made specifically to not scratch any finish. It is 18" long and can reach into those deep cavities on any "toy". It is used both wet or dry but the manufacturer recommends hot soapy water.
I have tried using those brushes and i think my hands are too fat i can barely go in that deep. A lot easier taking off the wheel! haha....

I also use P21S products and absolutely swear by the carnuba wax which is the only wax I'll use on my paint. :tu:
Synthethic wax are not that bad is it ? :) I love my Zaino.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Synthethic wax are not that bad is it ? :) I love my Zaino.
At the risk of highjacking my own thread, Zaino is a great product and I would certainly never presume to tell anyone what they must use. I only offer what works for me, such as the brush. You can just put me in the "old dog, new tricks" category. My father taught me to only use carnuba and I've used that with great results for over 40 years. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts