Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals,

Remember if your gonna remove the wheels torque them back up correctly 110Nm and ALL AMG wheels are to be checked again after about 100 miles, had a lovely C-Class in today some beautiful alloys on her shame they where not all attached to the hubs.

Apparently they went in series but its not really noticeable until the alloy really starts to pull away, the owner drove the car with 2 of the bolts missing and the extra stress that placed on the other incorrectly installed bolts caused the wheel to rip free of the car and it to then set down on its hub destroying basically everything under the suspension strut and the underbody of the car.

They have the settings for a reason not just to look good it only takes a few minutes to do it correctly so why take the chance short of installing spacers or messing with brakes there is no more stupid thing you can do and if i hear of any SLK's being damaged like this i will have to pop around your house and hit you with a sledgehammer.

Regards,
Dan

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
well at least we would be getting you around dan! :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah there we go thought it probably was

Binned my other post of they recommend 110 in the US also then better not say go for 115.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I use this cool calibrated device that looks like an elongatted socket.

Takes the guess work out and is always right.

·
Founding member #7
2,151 Posts
A few years ago on my SLK 320 I changed to winter wheels. When I changed them, I would just hand tighten the lug nuts on the new wheel and then drop the jack so the wheel was somewhat on the ground and then I would tighten with a lug wrench. Well, I did that all around, but forgot to tighten one wheel. By the time, I got near work, there was a racket coming from the rear end. Couldn't put 2 and 2 together at first. Luckily, I worked near the dealer so I drove to the shop. Looking back on it, I probably should have pulled off and used the mechanic button.

Each time I would let my foot off the accelerator, there would be a noise that sounded almost like a backfiring or something.

Anyway, I drove to the shop and they tightened the lug nuts. :( I was embarrassed. I don't think anything was too damaged.

So now, I have a torque wrench and tighten em to 80. And I make SURE I do tighten them.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Oh, forgot to add that I use the above device with an impact wrench...sorry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts