Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just collected my ten spoke wheels. The bolts from my 18's are 25 mm long and dont come through the new rims. So I need longer bolts. It looks from the old bolts they go in to the hub about 12mm Does anyone know if there is a specific depth of thread in the hubs.

I also need to use spacers on the rears at least 15mm wide so I am looking at 25 + 15+ the depth of the hole Any clues anyone

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
I read on another site (cant remember where) that at least 20mm of exposed thread should be visible after accounting for wheel,spacer, etc...

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds a lot as the rears go into the handbrake drum and if too long hit the brake shoes etc ?

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
another site I saw said 17mm, prob wouldnt go less than that...that was a you tube video from a wheel manufacturer....

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
heres one more I saw on other websites (Porsche forums, racing forum), is exposed length should = 1.5x the diameter of stud, so if stud is 12mm, exposed threads should be 18mm, which fits with the above essentially...hope this helps...

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just took a rear wheel off and the hub only has less than 10 mm thread inside it. then your though to the brake drum So measuring from the face of the hub to the end of the thread is only 10 mm. So my old ones going in about 12 should be right then. All need to do now is find bolts that are 50 mm long for the rears and about 35 for the fronts. I reckon

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it sorted now. Wolfrace wheels can supply 15 mm spacers and 50 mm bolts for the rears and 35 mm bolts for the front, Just have to wait for delivery now

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK Guys and Gals enlighten me to bolt sizes. There are 14 mm and 12 mm diam bolts Mine are 12 mm what models use 14 mm ????

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget to check you've got the correct seating - conical Vs Hemispherical.
Covered that one Woolly I was a bit surprised to find my bolts wernt long enough. Are your bolts long ? Mine are 25 mm of thread and with the spacer I need 50 mm. Going to be difficult to find any locking bolts that long. Plenty of 14 mm diameter ones but no 12 mm

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the spacers- they won't make any difference to handling, you cant see them whilst driving and one would have to be really anal to notice any difference whilst parked up.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Too late I have ordered them now :) The long locking bolts are going to be on hold till next month> I have found a wheel supplier that will supply custom sizes so 50 mm rear and 35 mm fronts but £60 a set. I have gone over budget this month already The wheels and spacers etc have cost me a months pension. I must be mad LOL But they are in good condition and the tyres are like new

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
I'm surprised you picked a wheel that requires such a large spacer. I thought you were very much against running any kind of spacer. :confused:

Make sure you get a good spacer, like an H&R brand that is made specifically for the car. Not some generic one with 25 holes in it that can go on 40 different models.

For bolts, I think Prestige is a good brand. I have those on my front. A lot of people with aftermarket wheels on this forum have gone with RadUSA bolts (http://www.radusadirect.com/).

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have order my spacers an bolts from Wolfrace. They have been making selling alloys since the early 70's I had their Cobra Slots on my Camaro way back in the 70's Companies who seel bad kit dont survive in business for 40 years :)

I am not keen on spacers I admit and the offset on the wheels wouldnt be a problem, but as they are only 7.5's they sit a bit in the wheel arches. 15 mm isnt much and the spacers arent the flat washer type they have the centre boss that fits over the hub one and a boss for the wheel to locate onto so they locate properly and the wheel isnt just relying on the bolts for support

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spacers and bolts arrived today. Spacer spigots are a perfect fit inside the wheels snug fit with just a gentle tap the seat them. No play at all. New bolts are super shiny and the perfect length. Cant recommend Wolfrace highly enough. John and Adrian are knowledgable and helpful. Just have to wait till Saturday to fit the ten spokes now :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts