Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how tight the hub nut should be tightened after replacing front wheel bearings (inner and outer bearings were replaced). I hand tightened my hub nut and then locked down the allen screw. I am getting a rubbing noise now, like the bearing is not quite locked down tight enough.
I don't want to over tighten it.
thanks,
roger

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi, I read there should be a small amount of play when it is correct. I guess the proper way is the dial gauge but I ended up doing it by feel. I think I went slightly too tight but its been ok.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marct, to begin with; I had an odd noise coming from the right front wheel when breaking (especially after the wheel heated up in traffic etc.) this went on for some time (2 years) MB didn't know what it was, I couldn't figure it out, so I changed the rotors and pads on March 27 2012 and the noise persisted. I changed the inner and outer bearings and drove around the block but had a noise still (whirring,rubbing) re-tightened the hub bolt and allen screw and the noise went away for a day. last night it was back slightly. so i believe the problem lies with the proper torquing of the nut etc.
Hellllp!
thanks
Roger

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
My pleasure Roger. It really is a good "manual" and well
worth the price. Some digging is required to get all the
info needed, but there is a lot of info to find!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts