Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my wheel alignment done at Tireplus over a week ago, after the alignment I started hearing 'wob wob wob' noise from the rear wheels so I took it back and they did some adjustment now the noise aren't as loud but it's still there. There was no noise prior to alignment. I was told because my alignment was so off, there was some wear on the tires so now that the alignment are where they should be some worn spots on the tires are making the noise.

I took the car to MB indy shop today and they said the noise is caused by the rear wheel bearing on the left side. Would take about 6 hours and quoted me $900 for just one wheel bearing. To me that sounds very excessive. Does this sound right? I read that wheel bearing on the SLK can be adjusted if they are loose.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Shockingly it sounds like Tiresplus is correct. A wheel bearing is going to be a pretty consistent grinding noise. If it is reverberating like the wob, wob you talked about, then it sounds like tire noise. If you have staggered tires you are pretty stuck. If you have the same size all around, then you could try rotating them.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,122 Posts
you should be able to see if any tire is 'out of shape', bulging, worn, wearing uneven

If your vehicle is making a wobbling noise when you drive, there could be a few possible causes. In an effort to narrow down what is making the noise, be sure to try and pin-point when the noise happens and exactly what you are doing. Then, run through these possible issues, or bring your vehicle in your your local Maryland auto mechanic and tell them about the noise and let them fix it.

Wobbling when Braking
A wobbling noise or feeling when you hit the brakes is a fairly common issue. Usually, it means your rotors are warped for any number of reasons. This is also something which can be felt in the steering wheel when you break. The fix here is to have the rotors checked and possibly made straight again (turned down) by a certified mechanic. Sometimes, rotors are too thin to be turned down and must be replaced.

Wobbles at a Certain Speed—Inconsistent
Does the wobbling occur when you get up to a certain speed, but not consistently? Consistency is key here, if the problem happens every time, then move onto the next cause. If the wobbling occurs inconsistently, then it could be as a result of your vehicle’s suspension. It’s a good idea to bring your vehicle in to a certified suspension repair shop in Maryland and have them assess the issue.

Wobbles at a Certain Speed—Every Time
Above we talked about inconsistent wobbling at certain speeds, here we’re talking about wobbling which happens at a certain speed, quite consistently. These types of wobbles are attributed to tires nearly every time. Now there are a few reason your tire is making your vehicle wobble, such as flat spots, cupping, separation, or an unbalanced tire. Remember the speed you’re having the issue, and get your car into a Maryland tire repair center immediately as the problem could prove dangerous.

Wobbling Under Heavy Loads
When we say heavy loads, we mean giving it a lot of gas to accelerate fast, towing something heavy, or when going up a steep hill. If you notice your vehicle wobbles or makes a wobbling noise in these conditions it could be some worn motor mounts. This is something your local Maryland auto mechanic could easily diagnose and repair, so if you feel a wobble in your vehicle, be sure to get it in to the shop right away.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tires are staggered and not the same size so I cannot rotate them. Tires are pretty new. I guess I'll continue driving til I need new tires or get new ones to take care of the noise.

I hear the noise right about 30 to 50mph. 60 and beyond there's no noise.

Shockingly it sounds like Tiresplus is correct. A wheel bearing is going to be a pretty consistent grinding noise. If it is reverberating like the wob, wob you talked about, then it sounds like tire noise. If you have staggered tires you are pretty stuck. If you have the same size all around, then you could try rotating them.

·
94,122 Posts
just cause a tire or tires are new does not mean they are not defective

That would drive me crazy
go to another tire place.
let them throw their opinion into the mix for free

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to clarify that the vehicle does not wobble. There's just some tire noise. I was informed by Tireplus and MB indy shop that there are some worn spots on the rear tires.

I don't live in Maryland :)

just cause a tire or tires are new does not mean they are not defective

That would drive me crazy
go to another tire place.
let them throw their opinion into the mix for free

·
94,122 Posts
I know no wobble. I was talking worn spots as 2nd video shows
Get new rear tires. bad tires cause other issues and you already paid for the 4 wheel alignment

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
I want to clarify that the vehicle does not wobble. There's just some tire noise. I was informed by Tireplus and MB indy shop that there are some worn spots on the rear tires.

I don't live in Maryland :)
If your tyres are so called going out of shape that can cause a wobble / wheel bearing type noise etc

Simple thing is safely jack up your car and slowly rotate tyre and from certain angles you should see the tyre flactuate as you manually spin the tyre . [ the tyre should not be perfectly round as you spin the tyre it will have worn spots or be oval as such ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts