Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was talking about this with my friend, and he doesn't think SLK's are exotic because they are owned by Mercedes, which is fairly common.

I had always thought SLK's were exotic because they are for the most part rare, and have very unique styling. So I was just wondering what y'alls definition of an "Exotic" car is.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Exotic, limited number...hand made...flamboyant and loud.

Aston Martin, Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani etc.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Handmade, drop-dead gorgeous to look at but too wide to fit in the garage. Mental performance, but drives like a pig. Scrapes it's nose on speed-bumps, doesn't like being in the rain, breaks down all the time and costs a fortune to service every 2000 miles. If left parked on the side of the road it has a 'life' expectancy of 35 mS.

Oh and mind bogglingly expensive so that only stupidly rich people who know nothing about cars can buy them, but all the rest of us (even when we're in the dark on our own) would just love to have one anyway.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Exotic, limited number...hand made...flamboyant and loud.

Aston Martin, Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani etc.
Totally agree. For the most part I dont consider Porsches/Mercedes exotic but I would say the CGT and SLRs would fit the 'exotic' category. For the most part I think of exotics as all of the above, super expensive (where you rarley see them on the road), and super fast. I cant think of any exotics doing 0-60 in more then about 4-4.5 seconds as the older ferarris I would put into a 'collectors' category.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I guess a more serious response from me would be to say, IMHO exotics are highly strung, 'no compromise' cars that are only made in very small numbers, make use of or introduce brand new high-performance technologies, have staggering looks and performance and are built without cost being a real issue.

Ferrari do make exotics, Enzo, F50, F40, but they also make good ol' fashioned supercars like the 599, F430.

The new F430 replacement shown by Nevada Joe for the moment IMHO qualifies as an exotic, but when it goes into full production and has been around for a while, will be 'demoted' to supercar status. The Enzo on the other hand, will always be an exotic..

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
3,726 Posts
glad you liked the last one but you may not like what the owner had done to this one.not my cup of tea
But my god did it sound good :rockon:

Attachments

D

·
0 Posts
I tend to use the conveyor belt rule, in that if the line includes anything more than basic human aid's then it's being built in too high a number to be a 'hyper' car as Clarkson calls them, so that rules out a vast majority of F and P car's.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Saw someone speak the word "rare".

Mercedes made 311,000 of the R170. By 2006 they made 148,000 R171 models. I couldn't find any current numbers.

I go by another method, if you can't get true market value on edmunds.com, then that is the first indication that you might be looking for an exotic or supercar. :)

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
A FIAT X1/9 in the USA that has not vaporized is exotic. Very few, noone knows what the hell it is, and will barely run and spill oil everywhere. My definition of an exotic. ;-)

I would have to say Exotic is any model produced less then 1,000 cars a year.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hmmm - Handbuilt? Check. Under 1k per year? Check! 5 year waiting list? Check! Can't do "Service B" without removing the fenders? Check!

Still not sure I'd call it exotic, but they do look nice and sound great!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.